Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,696 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are in our mid-20's and looking to relocate from Florida to the San Diego area. We are both in the financial field and single looking to enjoy our 20's. What is a good area to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinsey View Post
My friend and I are in our mid-20's and looking to relocate from Florida to the San Diego area. We are both in the financial field and single looking to enjoy our 20's. What is a good area to live?
Where are your jobs going to be?
What is your housing budget(s)?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, North Park, or Little Italy would be my choices for a mid 20's person.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 15,997 times
Good luck fellas, and I mean that. If you are bucks up you might like it, if not I think you will be disapointed. I know Florida well, and it's not the greatest place to live I'll grant you, but it's 100 times more affortable than here. If you've got the West Coast bug, check out; San Jose, Santa Brabra or even farther north. The weather is fine on the coast most anywhere in CA.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,696 times
We aren't going to move until around April so we are open to locations of jobs. Trying to find the best spot first and then go from there. Looking for a two-bedroom apartment though. Nothing crazy in price, but we make pretty good money. We are both "big-city" guys so Florida is more slow-paced than what we like.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Do you have jobs lined up already? If so, what area will you be working in?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Trying to find the best spot first and then go from there.
Something about horses and carts and one in front of the other....

Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king8 View Post
Good luck fellas, and I mean that. If you are bucks up you might like it, if not I think you will be disapointed. I know Florida well, and it's not the greatest place to live I'll grant you, but it's 100 times more affortable than here. If you've got the West Coast bug, check out; San Jose, Santa Brabra or even farther north. The weather is fine on the coast most anywhere in CA.
Santa Barbara is much more expensive than San Diego, with less housing to choose from. That was unaffordable for the average joe 20 years ago, I cringe to imagine what a 2 bdrm costs there now.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
We aren't going to move until around April so we are open to locations of jobs. Trying to find the best spot first and then go from there. Looking for a two-bedroom apartment though. Nothing crazy in price, but we make pretty good money. We are both "big-city" guys so Florida is more slow-paced than what we like.
Have you been to San Diego before? It's not fast paced and pretty laid back overall. SD is a big city but doesn't necessarily feel like one. Depends on where you're coming from though, SD is probably more vibrant than anywhere in FL except Miami.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
South Park, and Downtown would be good choices too, depending on what you guys are like, and what kind of vibe you want.

Mission Valley and Clairemont Mesa are also decent starting locations if you don't know the city and don't know where you'll be working. These to are safe choices - sterile and centrally located. The other locations recommended by me and others could be absolutely great for you, or you could hate them. Mission Valley has the benefit of allowing you to take the trolley downtown for weekend partying in the Gaslamp. However, I'm not sure if the trolley runs late enough to get you back home.

Mission Valley and Clairemont Mesa have the advantage of being in between the 3 largest employment locations, Downtown, Kearney Mesa, and Golden Triangle - Sorrento Valley & Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego