Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times

Advertisements

"I think it would be really tough in SD if I had children to think about"- Yet so many people do it.

I have seen it work and I've seen it fail- it depends on what people value. Some people sacrifice the space and getting hit with the sunshine tax for weather and things to do. My cousin was anxious to come out here with 3 young kids, she thinks that her kids will fall into the same unhealthy lifestyle that plagues that area (overweight, future smokers). Her husband has a great job in Cleveland, she worked and now stays at home because she doesn't do daycare, they have an amazing home in a great part of cleveland that has a very good school system and they have very little debt. I told her many things would change out here for her and she should visit rather than stay.

It comes down to alot of things for me, and unlike alot of people I can handle bad weather, I can keep myself busy and refuse to live on credit cards but besides my own feelings:
1. I can make similar money elsewhere and so can my wife and I'd even argue we'd be in higher demand (once things turn around).
2. education is important to me and I'm not too thrilled with the Cal. school systems.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 08-24-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,767 times
I would have to disagree with the dry heat vs humidity conversation that constantly plagues the forums. I live in phoenix right now, moved here early this year and the heat is seriously pissing me off!..lol..My daughter is a very outdoor kind of girl and it breaks my heart every day when I have to force her from outside because it is just to hot to play.

I love the fact that I have a brand new home, with well over 3,000 sq ft for a REALLY good rental rate. However, I did used to live in San Diego and San Diego is just better, my sinuses where clear, and its comfortable weather. Your home is what you make it, that is true. If I could have my phoenix home with san diego weather...i would be in heaven!.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
sd1

16 posts, read 47,048 times
never lived in phoenix but did a year in vegas. talk about hot. the funny thing is i have lived in md (where i am now) for several years and would much rather live in vegas. the humidity here is insane at times. sweating before you get to your car sucks. sd of course beats them all. as far as buying big houses etc. i think the original poster had a point, not everyone wants a big house, or a house at all. if a 1 bedroom rental makes you happy then go get it. i just sold a big house last year and i really don't know why i even bought it. i'm single, why do i need a big house? oh yeah, i live in an affluent area where you are judged by house size and car. can't wait to leave.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1 View Post
never lived in phoenix but did a year in vegas. talk about hot. the funny thing is i have lived in md (where i am now) for several years and would much rather live in vegas. the humidity here is insane at times. sweating before you get to your car sucks. sd of course beats them all. as far as buying big houses etc. i think the original poster had a point, not everyone wants a big house, or a house at all. if a 1 bedroom rental makes you happy then go get it. i just sold a big house last year and i really don't know why i even bought it. i'm single, why do i need a big house? oh yeah, i live in an affluent area where you are judged by house size and car. can't wait to leave.
what you say is true, but something so many are missing, what is right for one, may not be right for someone else. For some people the quality of life, is important. In fact to most this is the case, but what is quality of life? You would be happy in a 1 bedroom walk up, others need space. Some want a acre of land, others are content living in a townhouse. Some people want change of seasons, others want a warm climate year around. We lived in the D.C. area for 7 years, the humidity didn't bother us that much, others can't stand it. I would live in Phoenix but if it is so bad, why are so many flocking to the area?

I think it is one thing to have an opinion, another to think your opinion is fact!!! with no grey, just black and white.

Nita

Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
I lived in the South before moving back to San Diego. I will never leave. I know how lucky I am. It is impossible to get bored here.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I live in Florida and summer here is hot, sticky, uncomfortable. Having stated that I will take the Florida heat over the extreme dry heat in Phoenix or Palm Springs. Even though it doesn't cool much in the evenings, it does drop to 78-79 degrees and you get somewhat of a breeze. In Phoenix and Palm Springs it goes down to about the mid 90's at night.
Not correct. In the warmest months (July and August), the average low in Palm Springs is 76.

Quote:
Breeze, I don't want to feel the breeze there in the summer. It feels like someone is aiming a blow dryer at you when you feel a breeze. It is HOT!!!. 110-115-120 is just too hot even if it is dry. Hot is hot.
Yes, it's hot during the day, but the numbers you cited are definitely not the norm.

Average Weather for Palm Springs, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by encinitan View Post
i think 99% of people who live here are grateful and know how lucky they are to live in san diego. The other 1% apparently are regular posters on this message board.
+1 (you're on a roll, Encinitan (about time))

Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
+1 (you're on a roll, Encinitan (about time))
No pressure, right? I'm afraid to post something now, for fear of breaking my mojo!!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
No pressure, right? I'm afraid to post something now, for fear of breaking my mojo!!
Good point - you don't want to go back to your old ways.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:22 AM
sd1

16 posts, read 47,048 times
agree, tons of negativity on this board. people are constantly posting how everything is different for different people. really? no kidding. it's an opinion board, that's why we write our opinions. look at my post above and the one below it. i'm glad someone wants to explain exactly what i just said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego