Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 AM

128 posts, read 305,955 times

Advertisements

I have a new found love for San Diego even though we've already been here for 8 years. Besides the perfect weather which I find lets me be outdoors virtually year round, the people here are not so defensive and uptight. There is a nice laid back feel, except on the South Bay toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
you forgot to mention the crime in Phoenix. I live in Fountain Hills where the MCSO is corrupt as hell, harrass you if they don't like the way you look. I moved from the midwest and settled in FH because it is small, I too can't stand it and only have been here 4 years. Although I won't go back to the midwest (because of the weather), I too am thinking seriously of relocating to San Diego. I miss the flowers, grass, clean air. In Phoenix there is so much crime that it is not safe to drive alone. Bodies dumped in garbage cans and set on fire, bodies left on the side of the highways, it is truly awful here. And everyone thinks CA is expensive? I don't know, but I do know that everything in Phoenix that you buy at a Wal-Mart, Target, etc.... is $2-3 more an item than the midwest. We are in the monsoon season and have yet to see much rain. Drugs run rampant in this small, best of Sperlings places to live, town. All I want is to die in a climate that is condusive to my health.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
usually i am grateful for something i have to work for.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geralt View Post
Hell on Earth does exist and it is called Phoenix AZ!!! Wow, it sucks here, from the brutal summers, to the total lack of good, cheap ethnic eateries like San Diego has. Plus San Diego is just a great place to be outside. Not so in Phoenix, unless of course you like blistering temps, scorching breezes, and nice views of barren, dusty desert criss-crossed by endless strip malls and huge ugly powerlines.
Being a native of Phoenix, I completely agree about the climate ... especially the hot summers. When you've lived in a city like Phoenix as long as I have, you really become disgusted and fed up with the blast furnace type of heat every single day! The good thing about it is that I get the chance to travel to the many cooler, prettier spots of Arizona, as well as to San Diego once in a while ... so I usually get a few breaks from the heat.

What amazes me is the number of transplants who choose Phoenix for the climate. Granted, Phoenix weather is usually pretty nice from October or November to about May ... but then again, San Diego has good weather all year, and is actually quite similar to Phoenix during the late fall, winter, and early spring. I just can't see relocating to a place that has over 300 days of seemingly endless sun ... and that being the primary reason many people choose to move to Phoenix. But four million people live in & around Phoenix, so they must see something I don't!

Quote:
In Phoenix, you can barely go outside from June to August. It feels so horrible and artificial being cooped up in A/C all the time during the summer. In San Diego (on the coast at least), the fresh air is your constant companion.
I hardly go outside at all in Phoenix until October ... and even then, high temps are still hovering close to 100 sometimes. A/C is our best friend in the summer, so don't knock it. Phoenix would still be a dusty cowtown with a population of less than 100,000 if it wasn't for A/C. I know that if A/C wasn't available (or affordable), I couldn't live in Phoenix because the heat is hard on my health.

Quote:
So, to be honest, if I could sell my 4 BR 2000 sqft house right now and break even, I would gladly go back to renting that 600 sqft 1BR apt in PB overlooking Mission Bay. It was a lot less work and headaches and my utilities were $25 a month instead of the $300 I pay here! Be grateful if you live in, which IMHO truly is America’s finest city. I for one hope to be back as soon as I can get my house in AZ rented!
I understand what you're saying ... however, just remember that even though San Diego might have perfect weather, there's other things about it that aren't so great. I absolutely love San Diego for a vacation spot, and enjoy the downtown area, as well as Sea World & the beaches. But where you would save on energy costs, you would pay much more for housing, food, gas, and most basic services. Also, the Phoenix job market is actually better than San Diego's at the present time. Those are a few things to consider.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,257 times
Yes, San Diego is great and I would never live anywhere else in the future. I lived in several other places including LA and nothing compares to beautiful San Diego.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:38 PM

130 posts, read 386,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it is one thing to have an opinion, another to think your opinion is fact!!! with no grey, just black and white.

Nita
Agreed and that was one of the MANY reasons I left SD because there is so much more to life than just the weather. I feel that there are a lot of judgmental, shallow people in SD and the diversity is not up to my par level. I am more focused on diversity, the horrible Ca. public schools & colleges and a better quality of life. I cant imagine having my kids living around people who all think the same and act the same and look the same. There's so much more to the world than this!! I will never go back there, unless it is to God forbid, bury my mother.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i like AZ but as to san diego, good as it gets.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I like it here too.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 PM

130 posts, read 386,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
To each his own, but SD is not culturally diverse enough for me. Nor does it offer the arts and entetainment I love.
We used to drive to LA to see a Broadway show.
It's a big town with a small town mentality.
Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! we used to drive to LA all the time to do things. You could not have said it better!! I refer to SD all the time as a "town". People try to correct me and I tell them that for me, "town" is contingent to the mentality of the people, not the numerical population.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 10,571 times
I've lived in Texas for almost 30 years now and the weather is crazy to say the least. Here in Dallas, it was 70 on Wednesday and then we went through a nasty blizzard on Thursday with 20 degree weather. Summers can be real torture here and I don't know how anyone can stand 108 degree heat.

I'm really looking forward to the temperate weather when I relocate to San Diego next week. From what I'm reading, I can expect less allergies, lower electric bills, and good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego