Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:08 PM

93 posts, read 305,682 times

Advertisements

It is minus 20 with the wind chill where I live. If anyone is complaining in San Diego right now, I advise that they stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
The high today was 76 and sunny. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 74 and sunny. At least I won't freeze at the Chargers game.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
It was absolutely gorgeous today. Apparently everyone decided to enjoy it by going to the Zoo, because it was, in fact, a zoo there today. Mix in great surf all along the coast and it was a pretty perfect Saturday in January. Anyone who is not grateful to live in SD (particularly in the winter) needs a reality check!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Great weather here today and also yesterday in Pasadena where I went to see the Rose Bowl parade.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,601 times
Default Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralt View Post
It seems like a lot of people have various complaints about San Diego, but I can tell you after moving relocating to the Phoenix area, I appreciate San Diego much more. No place is perfect, but in my opinion San Diego can’t be beat. Since my job is very flexible (I am fortunate enough to be able to telecommute), I thought moving to Phoenix would be a good move since we have some family there and the houses are pretty cheap. Boy was I wrong!!!

Hell on Earth does exist and it is called Phoenix AZ!!! Wow, it sucks here, from the brutal summers, to the total lack of good, cheap ethnic eateries like San Diego has. Plus San Diego is just a great place to be outside. Not so in Phoenix, unless of course you like blistering temps, scorching breezes, and nice views of barren, dusty desert criss-crossed by endless strip malls and huge ugly powerlines.

San Diego on the other hand has rolling green hills and mountains, carpeted by flowers in spring. There is also: Balboa Park, Kate Sessions, the cove, Mt. Soledad, Sunset Cliffs, Torrey Pines, the list goes on and on. In Phoenix, you can barely go outside from June to August. It feels so horrible and artificial being cooped up in A/C all the time during the summer. In San Diego (on the coast at least), the fresh air is your constant companion.

So, to be honest, if I could sell my 4 BR 2000 sqft house right now and break even, I would gladly go back to renting that 600 sqft 1BR apt in PB overlooking Mission Bay. It was a lot less work and headaches and my utilities were $25 a month instead of the $300 I pay here! Be grateful if you live in, which IMHO truly is America’s finest city. I for one hope to be back as soon as I can get my house in AZ rented!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,601 times
I was thinking about moving to Phoenix because I like being warm to hot year around but after visiting San Diego for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I really think it is an awesome place. I am considering moving there for the Summer hopefully if everything works out. What does IMHO mean by the way? I'm hoping that the dating scene is wide open for a black woman out there because Austin isn't hitting on anything! I would love PB, I heard so much about it but I haven't looked into the prices yet for a 2-3 bedroom spot. I may have to scale down to a 2 bedroom to be able to afford it there or anywhere in the SD area period. I am paying 1290 month for a 3 bdrm, 2 bath apartment with a garage and carport. I hope nurses make considerably more so that I can afford to rent a place on the beach or near by at least.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
> What does IMHO mean by the way?

In my humble opinion: Urban Dictionary: IMHO

Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenreed View Post
I am paying 1290 month for a 3 bdrm, 2 bath apartment with a garage and carport. I hope nurses make considerably more so that I can afford to rent a place on the beach or near by at least.
Nurses in CA make around 35/hr, which won't get you a nice 3/2 on the beach unfortunately, but will get you a nice 1br or less nice 2br. Plan on spending 1k/mo for a run-down 1BR near the beach here.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM

91 posts, read 269,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I like playing in the snow and coming home to 70 in less than an hour. Where else can you snowboard in the am and surf in the pm same day?
Los Angeles, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Washington State, Hawaii(done it!), etc etc

Jus' sayin

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafsalot View Post
I am curious as to how the people in SD all think the same, act the same and look the same. I am planning on relocating and this paints a very ugly picture of the people. I, too, believe that with whom you live is more important that where you live- as in weather, geography, etc. Please elaborate.
Uhhhh....actually, it's quite the opposite. The county is pretty evenly split between Democrats and Republicans (tipping more Democratic during the last election), the population is quite diverse, with non-hispanic Whites making up about 51%, and the rest being various ethnic groups. Just be aware that the Black population of the Metro area is only 5.5%, but that shouldn't be a deterrent since mixed couples are quite common here. Different parts of the

You should also know that Summers here will feel downright cold to you coming from Austin. It will be plenty warm on many days, especially inland, but you won't be hot and sweaty all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego