Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Redneck? Not really. El Cajon is something a bit more bizarre than that.
"Redneck" implies "country" or "rural". That's not El Cajon. It's an urban culture - a mix of country, surfer, and gangster. Uniquely SoCal in that regard. Kind of like Mike Muir meets Travis Pastrana. Redneck, at least to me, is a much more singular stereotype - a country boy.

I will say this.... growing up in the NYC we have our wanna-be thugs. But that is largely seen as a loser thing to be. Kids who dress and act that way were largely outsiders, ostracized from the preppy / jock / city kids who made up the cool set. Here, it is much more popular, and in many ways accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,542 times
rofl thuggish gangsta guy who drives a lifted truck is a coworker at work in encinitas who lives in el cajon.
how perfect

Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
very hot lots of drugs but i have seen worse. once upon a time these people were employed fte there is a story behind that.
lots of convalescence homes.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM

50,274 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
"Redneck" implies "country" or "rural". That's not El Cajon. It's an urban culture - a mix of country, surfer, and gangster. Uniquely SoCal in that regard. Kind of like Mike Muir meets Travis Pastrana. Redneck, at least to me, is a much more singular stereotype - a country boy.

I will say this.... growing up in the NYC we have our wanna-be thugs. But that is largely seen as a loser thing to be. Kids who dress and act that way were largely outsiders, ostracized from the preppy / jock / city kids who made up the cool set. Here, it is much more popular, and in many ways accepted.

Calling someone who drives a lifted truck, covered in tats and piercings, wearing gang style clothes and flat brimmed hats a redneck? That's seriously insulting rednecks. Rednecks drive stock trucks usually a 4x4, wear cowboy boots or work boots and like cowboy hats, john deer caps and occasionally a dip like Cope. The only bumper stickers they have are "protected by Smith and Wesson".
A typical Charger game parking lot is a perfect place to see this twistoff of culture.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Calling someone who drives a lifted truck, covered in tats and piercings, wearing gang style clothes and flat brimmed hats a redneck? That's seriously insulting rednecks.
It's true.. but that is San Diego's version, at least. This town is full of them.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Yeah it's all true from what the OP said. El Cajon is vastly different from San Diego. It's strange how the people differ as well from "normal" San Diegan's. Living in El Cajon is like living in South, the people are backwards, lack intelligences, and work heavily in the construction industry, landscaping, roofing, and are socially messed up. Basic contractor work is apparent in East County, especially El Cajon and Santee. Lot's of truckers, proud to be a "MAN" mentality. Everybody seems to drive a Ford car/truck, patriotism is important, owning a gun is almost a given, religious fanatics marching down thestreets desperately trying to save people from Satan, and there evil ways is also alive and well in El Cajon/Santee. I have seen this happen on many occasions, a group of church goers were screaming out of a loud speaker on the corner of East Main st., that you need to be saved, or else your going straight to hell. They even were speaking to gays, saying stuff like "your filth is destroying you", "Forgive yourselves, the lake of fire is wide open for you". Seriously I heard this talk while at a stop light in El Cajon, it's really sad, and it just shows you that even supposedly Gods followers would say such a thing, regardless of there sexuality. There is no reason to lash out and speak that way towards the gay community, and I'm sure God wouldn't want anyone to condemn one another, or hate on them.

It does feel like there is a lot of anger and tension in El Cajon. Not sure why I feel that way, but there is a sense of hostility.

El Cajon sucks.
Same deal on the other side of the continent here in PA. This thread is intriguing to me so I had to chime in. What you described is Pennsylvania to a T.

Usually I defend America when people come on here calling it "Stupid and Backwards", but this hardcore white trash element we seem to embrace definetly reenforces that stereotype.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
White trash is better way to define El Cajon and most of East County.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There is a lot of stereotyping in this thread. But I will say this - the thuggishness, anti-intellectual, machismo, bro/gangsta culture - be it white or black or brown or whatever - doesn't end at El Cajon. This is the youth culture of SoCal, it is everywhere from LA to San Diego.

The mix might change from city to city, but it's everywhere. San Diego region has a just higher percentage of white trash types because just a large part of who lives in this region.

When people say 'San Diego has no culture', this is largely what they are seeing.
I'm going to get jumped on for agreeing with you but oh well. I agree.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,942 times
I want to go check out El Cajon just because you guys hate it so much. Sounds like a much more interesting place than your narrow minds.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOWNtheWORLD View Post
I want to go check out El Cajon just because you guys hate it so much. Sounds like a much more interesting place than your narrow minds.
it's seriously not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego