Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM

105 posts, read 337,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You just passed the test for SDPD. Congratulations. Report to the property room for your gun and badge.
I couldn't do it, I'd pull over every bad driver I saw at the expense of all other crimefighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,354,736 times
Hey OP.. does your bike happen to be spray-pained in "stolen black"?

Cops are people: there are good people and bad people, so there are good cops and bad cops. My experience with the PD in San Diego has been decidedly mixed: I was given some grief as a young skateboarder, but deservedly so. However as a homeowner in a neighborhood which sometimes demands higher-than-average police engagement, I have been frustrated by the sub-25-year-old ex-military officers that seem to comprise much of our police force. I have had extensive contact with PD brass - Mid-City on up - and there is a serious disconnect between Landsdowne ("call anytime you see anyone suspicious in your neighborhood") and Monique ("being a gang member is not a crime") in dispatch.

I will say this: San Diego is a city that does not value it's police. It is an underpoliced city with a small force and big city problems. The citizenry, and even the city itself, prefer to ignore our problems and often blame the police themselves as a cause of our problems. That is the will of the people of San Diego, indeed much of California, and not the the policemen themselves. The reality is these are people with an incredibly difficult job, undermanned, under-supported, under-resourced, and they deserve more, as do all of us who live here. I would gladly pay 100, 200, 500 more a year in taxes to hire officers and get those officers out of their cars and on the streets. But I am in a tiny minority. Most San Diegans see police as either abusive gestapo or money-grubbing pensioners.

I will pay attention to in the future is a city which proclaims itself to be "safe enough not to need cops", in fact touting that as some sort of testament to how great we all are. It's probably better to live just outside said city (with it's own PD) in that case.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-31-2009 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,073,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Hey OP.. does your bike happen to be spray-pained in "stolen black"?

Cops are people: there are good people and bad people, so there are good cops and bad cops. My experience with the PD in San Diego has been decidedly mixed: I was given some grief as a young skateboarder, but deservedly so. However as a homeowner in a neighborhood which sometimes demands higher-than-average police engagement, I have been frustrated by the sub-25-year-old ex-military officers that seem to comprise much of our police force. I have had extensive contact with PD brass - Mid-City on up - and there is a serious disconnect between Landsdowne ("call anytime you see anyone suspicious in your neighborhood") and Monique ("being a gang member is not a crime") in dispatch.

I will say this: San Diego is a city that does not value it's police. It is an underpoliced city with a small force and big city problems. The citizenry, and even the city itself, prefer to ignore our problems and often blame the police themselves as a cause of our problems. That is the will of the people of San Diego, indeed much of California, and not the the policemen themselves. The reality is these are people with an incredibly difficult job, undermanned, under-supported, under-resourced, and they deserve more, as do all of us who live here.

One mistake I will not make again is to think twice about a city which proclaims itself to be "safe enough not to need cops", in fact touting that as some sort of testament to how great we all are.
Nope. Just a normal mountain bike.

I have lots of big tattoos. They are not prison tattoos or anything, more like colorful and artistic ones. I think they are basically just profiling me based on that. They were asking me about them, saying "So, you got some tattoos huh?". They small-mindedly think tattoos=criminal I guess. What is this? The 1950s?

Another poster mentioned an African-American freind of his who was getting hassled and racially profiled. I can totally see that. The cops out here will just jump on you if they think you look like trouble. And their views of who looks like trouble are backwards and prejudice.

Honestly, I think a lot of the cops out here are on a bit of a power trip. And just get a cheap thrill out of hassling people and exerting power over people. It's like a little game to them. That's the impression I got from my encounters. They seemed to have smirks on their faces.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times
lots of drug trafficking occurs on bike.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I have lots of big tattoos.
I mean, come on dude.

I rode a skateboard for 10+ years from the ghetto to downtown to the college campuses. I searched out spots and skated them and got kicked out of them. And the cops were there. Do you think I hold it against them? They did their jobs. Get real, it's all profiling. You got those tats and now you live with them. This is what you signed up for, be a big boy and deal with it!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots of drug trafficking occurs on bike.
Lots of drug traficking occurs on bike, so lets pull over random bicyclists for absolutely no reason hoping we win the gamble and catch a drug trafficker.

Fabulous logic. Forget about probable cause and citizens rights...... Let's just let the cops pull over anybody.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I mean, come on dude.

I rode a skateboard for 10+ years from the ghetto to downtown to the college campuses. I searched out spots and skated them and got kicked out of them. And the cops were there. Do you think I hold it against them? They did their jobs. Get real, it's all profiling. You got those tats and now you live with them. This is what you signed up for, be a big boy and deal with it!
So, youre suggesting that a tattooed person deserves to be profiled like this?

I guess this is why the cops will profile people. You all seem to be doing too. Only in America huh?

For your information. I am a college graduate. Intelligent and a good person in just about every way. We tattooed people are not all crazy scumbags like you might assume

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
So, youre suggesting that a tattooed person deserves to be profiled like this?

I guess this is why the cops will profile people. You all seem to be doing too. Only in America huh?

Do you deserve it? Probably not. But you didn't have to get those tats either. My wife has a couple tats, just so you don't think I'm some sort of racist ;-)

Just know that the whole world profiles. That is what people do. You made a choice. You choice to be a tough guy with visible tattoos. And you chose to ride a bike around the College Area (where I live). 9 times out of 10 - grown man on a bike in this area with tats == recent parolee.

Welcome to the real world, nice to meet you.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Do you deserve it? Probably not. But you didn't have to get those tats either. My wife has a couple tats, just so you don't think I'm some sort of racist ;-)

Just know that the whole world profiles. That is what people do. You made a choice. You choice to be a tough guy with visible tattoos. And you chose to ride a bike around the College Area (where I live). 9 times out of 10 - grown man on a bike in this area with tats == recent parolee.

Welcome to the real world, nice to meet you.
You are being incredibly condescending.

I've lived on two other continents and 4 states total. I've had a lot of my tats for about 14 years. You need to stop assuming you're talking to some kid.

Tough guy with tattoos? You are also assuming i'm some big brutish goon or something. Give me a freakin break. I am just about the least threatening looking person you can imagine. I am not some Gangsta thug, I didn't even grow up in SoCal, this whole scene around here is not my thing, i'm just living here. I grew up in a place with a totally different mindset, much more liberal and accepting apparently.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
YI am not some Gangsta thug, I didn't even grow up in SoCal, this whole scene around here is not my thing, i'm just living here. I grew up in a place with a totally different mindset, much more liberal and accepting apparently.
Dude, you live in Southern California now. That's where the "gangsta thug" was born, raised, and nurtured into a culture of it's own. The whole world learned how to be a gangsta from us. Like it or not, you chose a look closely associated with biker gangs, street gangs, and other such elements of the uniquely California culture. It might have been different wherever you came from, it was different where I came from too. But you're here now and it is what it is. For the record, "this whole scene around here" isn't my thing either, in fact I think it ****kin' sucks and would love to get out of here so I don't have to raise my kid in this cesspool of gangsterism, loserism, ghettoism. But that's what it is and I can't change it.

Not saying you are a ganster or thug, but the reality is no cop can tell the difference at a glance. Deal with it.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-31-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego