Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

True that Alexus, well said and I'm a Native San Diegan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM

31 posts, read 63,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

I have never been there, but from the looks of things, Mini looks like a pretty good city to relocate to.
A fantastic city indeed. If one can stand the winter. Good economy and culture.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 PM

231 posts, read 640,106 times
As a 23 year old involved a lot in the electro nightlife around SD, I have plenty of things to do once the sun goes down. The people I spend time around aren't exactly the super laidback San Diegans.

While we enjoy relaxing and utilizing the natural resources around SD we also like the hustle of a city so with this being said I feel there is more of a city life and variation of things to do than described in this thread but it depends on your age group and what interests you. If you are living some distance from downtown and surrounding towns SD will feel like a large suburbia. From my social grouping and spending time between LA & SD, there isn't that drastic of a difference for me. I was surprised to see OC listed as very different, that county is the epitome of boring housing and malls other than the beach towns.

Last edited by windnsea00; 09-06-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 20,710 times
Absolutely stay in Boston. As an east coaster in San Diego, I wouldn't recommend it to any one. We moved here and haven't enjoyed it at all and are trying desperately to get back again. I could give you pages of things that we don't like compared to the east coast if you need some convincing! Boston is awesome ...stay put!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,437 times
I have to agree with most of the posters on here. Why would you leave Boston? Ok, maybe weather and if that is all that matters, by all means, come to SD but as for culture and things to do, hands down, Boston.

SD is a great place to visit in the winter. That's it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
I liked Boston. I like SD. I liked the other 3 places that I've lived. Attitude.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK09 View Post
Absolutely stay in Boston. As an east coaster in San Diego, I wouldn't recommend it to any one. We moved here and haven't enjoyed it at all and are trying desperately to get back again. I could give you pages of things that we don't like compared to the east coast if you need some convincing! Boston is awesome ...stay put!
It all depends on the person and their preferences. I was born in Boston, and raised there for much of my childhood. It's a great city, but I would still prefer to live here in San Diego. Everyone is different.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times
As a life long East Coaster when my wife got orders to San Diego for Medical training at Balboa Naval Hospital ( She is active duty Navy) we were horrified beyond thought. We had never been to the West Coast , so we went kicking and screaming with our almost 2 year old toddler at the time.

When it came time to get new orders to leave San Diego we were kicking and screaming as well. We really loved what the area had to offer as far as weather , amenities and SAFE CRIME FREE AREAS !!!!!! We have lived all over the East Coast and yes there are plenty of areas that are great areas to live as well. But we found out of all the areas we lived of Maryland , Virginia , Georgia,and Florida (by the way we loved Florida ) we really LOVED San Diego and actually Eastlake Chula Vista the best by far.

For us it was the sense of community, cleanliness , the amount of activities and the people we're generally very , very nice.

All I can say for sure is that if you go to San Diego looking for a Boston with Palm Trees you might be disappointed , but if you go with a new experience in mind I think you'll be very happy !! Whatever you do good luck

PS- Like myself I went to the West coast thinking it was like Florida (Tropical year round) well its not. Its got great weather no doubt ,but don't think your going to swim all year around in a pool unless it has a pool heater. San Diego has alot of very cool evenings and nights which are actually great, but bad if you want to swim all year round in your unheated pool. Just a FYI.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 AM

8 posts, read 9,125 times
I just wanted to chime in... I just added my own ? re: where to live specifically in San Diego, but I'm making the move from Boston to San Diego in the next month or so and just can't wait! I do love the things that everyone has mentioned about Boston -- I'll mostly miss the fall festivals, but I'm done with everything else. We've loved the museums, etc. have been members of most of them, but after 13 years of this city I realize how depressed my husband and I get when the cold sets in. I should add, specifically, it's no fun coming home from work at 6 and spending your evening shoveling out your driveway and sidewalks an amazing # of nights. When we were younger we got out on the mountains and went snowboarding, but these days we find ourselves stuck in our basement playroom with our little girl who is 3...

We all can't wait to be somewhere we can take a walk outside year-round. We also enjoy beach-going, my husband surfs and even in Boston rides his skateboard from the T to his office, so I guess our lifestyle really does fit in with SD!

Good luck to you on whatever you decide is best for you and your family!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM

34 posts, read 108,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK09 View Post

I totally agree. I am an east coaster as well. San Diego is like a fum amusement park ride that you are enjoying but then realize that you can't get off. I have been here now 8 years (moved from New York) and while I don't hate it, I am tired and bored with the weather. Its really individual. At first you absolutely love the winters here, you will so happy that you don't have to deal with bitter cold but after a while the abundance of sunny days will start to become oppressive. The good thing about San Diego however is the abundance of outdoor activites available all year round. You can be at the beach in the morning and then in one hour drive you can be at 6000 feet in a totally different environment. I would ask your kids, they also may love it or they may hate it. Good Luck. Sometimes people need a change but once you uproot its hard to go back.....now that I have been out here a while I have more of an appreciation for the beauty on the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego