Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 35,856 times

Advertisements

I'm not understanding something. This is medical use marijuana. So, it's like a pharmacy, do people have problems with phamacies being in their neighborhood? If there's a problem with the distribution or it, or it's being resold, then the problem is not with the facility. It sounds like it could be with the Doctors dispensing it, or law enforcement, and dealing with the resale. For me...I've been "Talking to Fred" (using mari jane) for over 30 years. I do so responsibly the same as many people do liquor. I've never had a problem getting it, in any state that I've been in. It's as readily available as an Oriental Spa (brothel) and just as illegal, but just like the spa, nobody seems to be shutting them down. Why? Because basically, they're harmless. I could care less about legalizing pot, I mean, it would be nice, but its illegality, has certainly never stopped me, or many people I know or know of...I've said all along. TAX the hell out of it. I'm pretty sure that you could produce better weed, and make 10 times more on taxing it, without affecting the current price, than you do or could with cigarettes. Not to mention, how many people are in prison for marijuana related crimes? A LOT, so decriminalizing it, would relieve jail overcrowding, and budget overuns in the DOC, the court systems, and with police. I would even venture to say, that there would be less likelyhood, to go onto other drugs, if you could smoke some good pot legally. That's all we want is to chill a little. Just like some people drink wine, liquor or beer. I dissagree that smoking pot leads to other drugs. In the many people I know that smoke pot, it's just not the case. Sure there are those exceptions, but that's true anywhere, in any kind of study. Those people are in my opinion, going to do extremely harmful things to themselves anyway....pot didn't lead them to it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
And now this:

Raids shut down marijuana dispensaries

The drama in San Diego continues.

I'm reminded of the water fluoridation controversy that took place in San Diego many years ago. The rest of the state accepted it, but there was a very vocal minority that kept San Diego from adding fluoride to the water for years.

It's a strange city sometimes.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And now this:

Raids shut down marijuana dispensaries

The drama in San Diego continues.

I'm reminded of the water fluoridation controversy that took place in San Diego many years ago. The rest of the state accepted it, but there was a very vocal minority that kept San Diego from adding fluoride to the water for years.

It's a strange city sometimes.
Unfortunately too many San Diegans are apathetic to stand up or do something about the ultra conservative vocal minority that is hardly representative of the majority. Seals in La Jolla, any major development project, cannabis clubs, democratic fund raising dinners, pot at REGGAE concerts in Del Mar, etc... there is always some conervative blowhard opposing and making the biggest deal out of the stupid crap. It is strange on top of being incredibly annoying.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
I'm not an "ultra conservative". I have no problem with Medical MJ. I do not, however, want to live near a medical MJ dispensary. I also do not want to live near a massage parlor or strip club or a bar or a liquor store.

These businesses have a right to exist but we also have a right to regulate where they are located. Somewhere like the Sports Arena area, Kearny Mesa, or Miramar would be great. There are no schools, no residential neighborhoods nearby.

I don't understand why people claiming to be liberal and accepting of others would be so unable to understand that not wanting to live next to pot shop is not a radical sentiment.

The "rest of the state" has no right to dictate what happens in my neighborhood. That is up to the people who live here. That is what democracy and a free society is all about. The right to fight what you don't agree with.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-10-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM

I really don't see the difference between having a discreet cannabis club and having a liquor store or bar nearby. People go in, get their weed, and leave for the most part and not spending hours on end watching strippers or looking for a happy ending. The clubs that have been raided in PB I never even knew were there. I think some people hear the phrase "cannabis club" or "pot dispensary" and freak out w/o actually ever seeing one or experiencing a problem with one. I just don't see a problem with them being located in commercial areas with every other business. They are no more disruptive than a bar or liquor store in commercial area but for some reason you feel they should be allowed only in industrial ares of SD, why?

I don't necessarily have a problem with forming some land use regulations or other ordinances to deal with this type of business since there are none, it should be treated like a liquor store or bar. But what I do have a big problem with is straight up bans in all the backwater north and east county suburbs and these BS LOCAL raids by our incompetent DA. It's a complete WASTE of taxpayer money to fund these BS raids and for what? It won't make a damn difference in anything.

What I don't understand is how people make such a big deal about something that is not actually a problem or causing harm to the community? Some people seem to think they have some crystal ball where they can see into the future.

Last edited by sav858; 09-10-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They are no more disruptive than a bar or liquor store in commercial area but for some reason you feel they should be allowed only in industrial ares of SD, why?
Bars and Liquor stores are very disruptive.

People have the right to regulate the land use in their neighborhood. You have this idea that it is some tiny minority that is against the pot clubs, but it is the majority who are against it. The homeowners and parents. The people who support those pot clubs are the people who use them. There are many people who support medical MJ but don't want it in their neighborhood. The reality is that pot clubs spring up in areas where people don't care about the neighborhoods - often areas full of renters or poor people.

Personally I don't see why a storefront is necessary at all. This could all be handled in a much more discreet way.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Bars and Liquor stores are very disruptive
Yeah I get that which is why I said they are "no more" disruptive than them and therefore should be regulated the same way, not more so or banning them outright.
Quote:
People have the right to regulate the land use in their neighborhood. You have this idea that it is some tiny minority that is against the pot clubs, but it is the majority who are against it. The homeowners and parents.
I didn't realize there was a survey done gauging the communities opinion on the issue, if there is one where can I see it? The majority of voters voted for medical marijuana and a several recent polls have shown a MAJORITY of Californians in support of legalizing it all together. So yes in my opinion it is a small vocal minority against it.

Some parents with children under 18 in their household seem to think that they make up the majority of households in SD when they make up less than a 1/3 of all households.

Quote:
The people who support those pot clubs are the people who use them.
Not true, many people I know, including my parents and myself, are not against pot clubs and neither of us use them nor anyone else I know except for a few people. And there are many people out there while they might not outright support these clubs but are not necessarily against them either, people who don't really care as long as they don't cause a problem.
Quote:
There are many people who support medical MJ but don't want it in their neighborhood.
WHY? Is there a legitimate reason or just fear? I can understand not wanting a high concentration of them in one area like bars or liquor stores but banning them outright all together seems to extreme and unnecessary.
I have no problem keeping them a good distance from schools and such but some people are taking it way too far and banning them all together instead of actually trying to find a more reasonable solution, which is pretty typical here.
Quote:
Personally I don't see why a storefront is necessary at all. This could all be handled in a much more discreet way.
It's a business, don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to have a storefront. So I guess buying weed on the street, or in your neighbor's apartment/house, etc..are more acceptable b/c it's more discreet to you?? Do you even notice them when you drive by or know that they even exist? I can't imagine how they could be anymore discreet than they already are, people have no clue that they even exist most of the time. It's not like a bar where people are standing in line or drinking outside where its obvious what type of business is there. And it's not like they have giant Weed leafs on the signage and many don't really have any signage at all.

Again, I'm waiting to here the problems these clubs have caused that a ban is needed for them. And it's more the raids and outright bans I am against and not simply formulating regulations for them.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get that which is why I said they are "no more" disruptive than them and therefore should be regulated the same way, not more so or banning them outright.
I am not advocating a ban.

Quote:
Some parents with children under 18 in their household seem to think that they make up the majority of households in SD when they make up less than a 1/3 of all households.
But we pay more taxes, vote more, and hold more power.

Quote:
And there are many people out there while they might not outright support these clubs but are not necessarily against them either, people who don't really care as long as they don't cause a problem.
And as long as it's not anywhere near their home. Find me a person who doesn't smoke pot willing to march in the streets :-)

Quote:
I can understand not wanting a high concentration of them in one area like bars or liquor stores but banning them outright all together seems to extreme and unnecessary.
Thats exactly the issue we're discussing here. That's exactly what is happening. There are dozens within a few miles of each other.

Quote:
I have no problem keeping them a good distance from schools and such but some people are taking it way too far and banning them all together instead of actually trying to find a more reasonable solution, which is pretty typical here.
Rules as you describe are not adequately documented, enforced, or understood, for the most part.

Again, I am not advocating a ban.

Quote:
It's a business, don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to have a storefront. So I guess buying weed on the street, or in your neighbor's apartment/house, etc..are more acceptable b/c it's more discreet to you??
Out of sight, out of mind. I wasn't advocating streets or storefronts. Perhaps a warehouse or industrial location where no one really needs to notice?

Quote:
Do you even notice them when you drive by or know that they even exist?
Yes, I know where they are.

Quote:
Again, I'm waiting to here the problems these clubs have caused that a ban is needed for them.

Many of those pot collectives are BS, being run as for-profit businesses which is forbidden under the AG guidelines. Most are outright storefront weed shops with little or no oversight. That needs to change, unless we want to end up in the situation LA is in.

Remember that part of being in a free society means that not everyone will agree with you. I have no problem with medical MJ and in fact I even believe it should be legalized in some way. However I do not want to live near a storefront weed shop. That is my opinion and no matter how you may feel about it I have the right to fight that business from opening in my neighborhood. The reality is that those who will fight against it have more power, more money, and are more organized than a bunch of potheads.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I'm not an "ultra conservative". I have no problem with Medical MJ. I do not, however, want to live near a medical MJ dispensary. I also do not want to live near a massage parlor or strip club or a bar or a liquor store.
Funny you'd say you don't want to live being near a bar being from NY where bars are often considered part of the community.

I personally have no problems with living near a bar as long as its not a hangout for gangbangers or white supremacists.

As for liquor stores, as long as there's proper security there's no problem. I certainly like having them in walking distance. I wouldn't want to live next to one that had poor security though.

Would you feel the same way living next to all those places if they were in a nice part of SD or any other city? Would you prefer living far from any of those places in a bad area over living near those places in a nice area?

The problem with MMJ armed robberies in certain L.A. neighborhoods (and burglaries throughout L.A.) is related to state laws that prohibit armed guards at dispensaries. Those laws need to be changed.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Funny you'd say you don't want to live being near a bar being from NY where bars are often considered part of the community.
It is also covered in **** and puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Would you feel the same way living next to all those places if they were in a nice part of SD or any other city? Would you prefer living far from any of those places in a bad area over living near those places in a nice area?

I would never want to live within 1-2 blocks of any commercial establishment, ideally more. Bars in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego