Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would never want to live within 1-2 blocks of any commercial establishment, ideally more. Bars in particular.
If you're talking about bars that are hangouts for gangs and white supremacist groups, I agree with you.

Otherwise I don't have a problem, and it's hard to understand why you wouldn't want to live within 1-2 blocks of ANY commercial establishment.

Then again I wouldn't want to live right next to a public comprehensive high school so to each their own. As for messes, that's just part of life.

That's probably why you left NY, right? Although iirc you're from the Island where there are a great deal more places that are farther from commercial establishments, not NYC (granted there are some parts of NYC that might as well be the Island, like far outer Queens or parts of Staten Island)

Personally I'd prefer NYC over SD....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
it's hard to understand why you wouldn't want to live within 1-2 blocks of ANY commercial establishment.
I don't care to be subjected to the noise, cars, litter. Don't need a bunch of strangers walking past my house to go buy something at the store. Just not important to me to be that close to a store I go to maybe once a week.

Quote:
That's probably why you left NY, right? Although iirc you're from the Island where there are a great deal more places that are farther from commercial establishments, not NYC (granted there are some parts of NYC that might as well be the Island, like far outer Queens or parts of Staten Island)
I am from LI. NYC is nice to visit but I would never live there.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Out of sight, out of mind. I wasn't advocating streets or storefronts. Perhaps a warehouse or industrial location where no one really needs to notice?
You sound a great deal like Giuliani talking about strip clubs (Rudy, of course, would be opposed to weed dispensaries anywhere, no matter how far out of sight or out of mind).

If you really want to be away from those sort of things, perhaps Salt Lake City might be more your kind of town? California cities, especially San Diego, already have bad raps when it comes to personal freedom (something that helps drive people out of the state) - Reason magazine's survey of personal freedom in US cities ranked SD close to the bottom, and of all CA cities only San Jose wasn't amongst the least free in the US. That survey ranked Portland as the freest West Coast city ; as much as they're sick of Californians they'd love more money coming in from Californians leaving.

The security problems of dispensaries can be solved by merely changing state law to allow armed guards there.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You sound a great deal like Giuliani talking about strip clubs (Rudy, of course, would be opposed to weed dispensaries
All I can say is that NYC was a cesspool before he came in. And it is a city that is becoming nicer and nicer while San Diego and CA with it's "personal freedom" is going in the opposite direction.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I don't care to be subjected to the noise, cars, litter. Don't need a bunch of strangers walking past my house to go buy something at the store. Just not important to me to be that close to a store I go to maybe once a week.
Empty streets without legitimate activity are less safe streets and invite non-legitimate activity. More people around means more potential witnesses to scare off the bad guys.

Quote:
I am from LI. NYC is nice to visit but I would never live there.
If I could afford it I'd live there in a minute. And given that property values and rents in NYC are higher than SD or anywhere else in CA (even LA and SF), others agree with me

Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
But we pay more taxes, vote more, and hold more power.
True to a certain extent, still doesn't change the fact you make up less than 1/3 of all households in the region but act like you are the majority and public policy should revolve around only families.
Quote:
And as long as it's not anywhere near their home.
Zoning already prevents commercial businesses in residential neighborhoods. So any pot club is not going to be closer to their home than any other business out there.
Quote:
Thats exactly the issue we're discussing here. That's exactly what is happening. There are dozens within a few miles of each other.
A few miles of each other?? I was thinking more like a few blocks of each as a high concentration, like bars and liquor stores.
Quote:
Yes, I know where they are.
Knowing where something is and "noticing" it are two different things. Do you know where they are b/c you were told about them? Or did you actually notice it one day like you would notice a new restaurant or bar? The only reason I know where the pot clubs are in PB b/c I was told where they are or saw it on the news. They couldn't be anymore discreet than they are.
Quote:
Many of those pot collectives are BS, being run as for-profit businesses which is forbidden under the AG guidelines. Most are outright storefront weed shops with little or no oversight.
Enforce CURRENT laws then.
Quote:
Remember that part of being in a free society means that not everyone will agree with you. I have no problem with medical MJ and in fact I even believe it should be legalized in some way. However I do not want to live near a storefront weed shop.
Do you actually have a reason why b/c I have yet to see it? All you say is you don't want them but give no reason why. Have any disrupted your neighborhood? Are bums concentrating outside of them? Or is it just the idea of it bothering you?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you actually have a reason why b/c I have yet to see it? All you say is you don't want them but give no reason why. Have any disrupted your neighborhood? Are bums concentrating outside of them? Or is it just the idea of it bothering you?
I don't want to live near them because I don't want to. That's my reason. Don't want the sketchy-ass people who grow and distribute weed making deliveries and pickups. Don't want to live near a business that is so prone to robbery. Don't want to have stoned people driving to / from. Don't want to be around the type of people who fake an illness to go get an MJ prescription (which we all know is the majority of MMJ cardholders). It's a magnet for losers.

I have the right to have a say in what businesses are in my neighborhood. That's all I am saying. You seem to want to deny me that right. That doesn't seem very liberal or freethinking at all.

And yes, in some cases, there are several with 1-2 blocks of each other. You don't know the problem because you don't live where I live. You live in an ultra liberal beach city with more college kids than families. I live in an area with 5 thousand college students and 15 thousand families, many with small kids, many who are in the military, most who DO NOT support this type of business. If PB wants it, let em have it. I don't live in PB.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-10-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
All I can say is that NYC was a cesspool before he came in. And it is a city that is becoming nicer and nicer while San Diego and CA with it's "personal freedom" is going in the opposite direction.
San Diego is amongst the worst cities for personal freedom in the US. L.A. isn't much better. California cities in general rank low for personal freedom with San Jose being the only exception.

Meanwhile, Portland ranks very high for personal freedom, as does Las Vegas. While the economies of both OR and NV have tanked and NV is going through fiscal problems similar to those of CA, those two cities have been the top two destinations for Californians leaving the state. Think it's a coincidence? Not to mention that Denver also ranks high for personal freedom and is also a major destination for Californians leaving the state?

Rudy's effect on NYC is off topic for this forum, I'll just say it was a mixed bag and Bloomberg's been worse. SD's still freer than Bloomberg's NYC....just barely.....

"San Diego combines the progressive paternalism of more liberal California cities with a more strict social conservatism on drugs, sex, and even gambling."

http://www.reason.com/news/show/127481.html

Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, Portland ranks very high for personal freedom, as does Las Vegas. While the economies of both OR and NV have tanked and NV is going through fiscal problems similar to those of CA, those two cities have been the top two destinations for Californians leaving the state. Think it's a coincidence?
California is such a mess that people have a million reasons to leave right now.

The last thing I care about is the freedom to go to a strip club, availability of drugs, or gambling. I just don't care.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It's a magnet for losers.
Welcome to 21st Century SoCal...an entire region that is a magnet for losers even though it will always have my affection

Quote:
You live in an ultra liberal beach city with more college kids than families. I live in an area with 5 thousand college students and 15 thousand families, many with small kids, many who are in the military, most who DO NOT support this type of business. If PB wants it, let em have it. I don't live in PB.
If PB was more representative of SD as a whole I'd consider moving to SD....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego