Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 17,579 times

Advertisements

To be sure there are some business things left here. But darned if it seems like this is the last place on earth a company would want to be. If anyone of us started a SAIC we'd be long gone.

My rant is it doesn't have to be this way. CA may have been unlucky but it is also doing this t o itself. And what I don't understand is why nobody seems to want to do a darn thing about it. If I were king of SD for a day, i'd fire every last commisoner and mayor and announce the county has been annexed by TExas until such time as CA recovers, if ever. Rant over..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM

52 posts, read 174,270 times
I am a government IT consultant who lives in the DC area and works in Virginia... next to a large SAIC office building.... which is next to even more office buildings full of thousands of jobs.

The past few years I've been dreaming about moving to San Diego, but the job opportunities in the DC area are abundant and I don't want to be a beach bum. I visit San DIego once a year and it's great, but the thought of taking a pay cut and a hit to my career to move there is sounding less and less appealing every day. We only have about a month's worth of "San Diego weather". I think I'll take that for now. Perhaps in the future, I may change my mind and decide to pay the Sunshine Tax...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 PM

161 posts, read 573,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacek View Post
News reporting SAIC leaving San Diego for DC. Can't blame them one bit.
What the heck is SAIC? I' am in the military and I have never heard of them.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersnax View Post
I am a government IT consultant who lives in the DC area and works in Virginia... next to a large SAIC office building.... which is next to even more office buildings full of thousands of jobs.

The past few years I've been dreaming about moving to San Diego, but the job opportunities in the DC area are abundant and I don't want to be a beach bum. I visit San DIego once a year and it's great, but the thought of taking a pay cut and a hit to my career to move there is sounding less and less appealing every day. We only have about a month's worth of "San Diego weather". I think I'll take that for now. Perhaps in the future, I may change my mind and decide to pay the Sunshine Tax...
I've worked all over the USA as a business/professional consultant and DC is one of the best towns for career and Quality of life right now. I made a huge mistake coming here, and am trying with both hands and feet to get out.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
What the heck is SAIC? I' am in the military and I have never heard of them.
They are a contracting/consulting company focused heavily on Government work.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
For those of us who don't bother subscribing to the paper anymore...

SAIC appears poised to shutter its San Diego headquarters - SignOnSanDiego.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOnSanDiego.com
“He assured me he will have a strong leader in San Diego,” Beyster said of his conversation with Havenstein. “I'm optimistic San Diego will be taken care of. This should not be viewed as a blow to San Diego, because I think it will remain strong.”

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Top corporations are not at home here - SignOnSanDiego.com

"Atlanta, which has less than half the population of the city of San Diego, has 18 Fortune 500 companies. Minnesota's twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul have 17; Charlotte, N.C., 11; Milwaukee, 10; and Englewood, Colo., 5.

Los Angeles and Orange counties have also been losing corporate headquarters.

Since early 2008, the region has lost four firms: Computer Sciences Corp., or CSC, which moved from El Segundo to Virginia; Hilton Hotels, which moved from Beverly Hills to Virginia; dialysis maker DaVita, which moved from El Segundo to Denver; and Countrywide Financial, which was acquired by Bank of America."

Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 20,710 times
Quote:
News reporting SAIC leaving San Diego for DC. Can't blame them one bit.
Don't blame them at all. Biggest mistake we made was moving from DC to SD.....can't wait to get back East.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
No it's down to where the growth is. CA and especially SD are just hanging on. If you took that ocean out of here you're left with very little to speak of. The town rests entirely on weather and ocean and the business community is on to it. DO you think if SAIC were from DEnver they'd have moved? Maybe
I don't agree with the doom and gloom attitude. You really think San Diego has nothing going on besides the climate and the ocean?

Eventful, Inc. Press Release: THE NEW 2008 ‘MOST EVENTFUL CITIES’ RANKINGS WILL SURPRISE

Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't agree with the doom and gloom attitude. You really think San Diego has nothing going on besides the climate and the ocean?

Eventful, Inc. Press Release: THE NEW 2008 ‘MOST EVENTFUL CITIES’ RANKINGS WILL SURPRISE
What does that article have to do with high-paying white collar jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego