Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,545,402 times

Advertisements

So, we've been trying to buy a *not* non-stick wok. (We had a non-stick pan that sloughed off its coating into our dinner. Ick! Ick! Ick!)

Bought one from Amazon that advertised that it was "pre-seasoned". It was not "pre-seasoned"; it was non-stick. Returned it and bought a "cast iron" wok from Amazon. Might have worked, except that it arrived sans handle. Returned that one for another. Again, arrived sans handle. Amazon no longer sells woks from that source.

But ... we're still looking for a cast-iron wok. Closest we came was in the Ranch 99 Market on Clairmont Mesa Blvd, but the box wasn't specific enough in English about what the contents held, so we just ... weren't ... sure. Might have been aluminum?

We tried to find the restaurant supply stores (formerly) in East Village. Apparently they've been overrun by the East-Village gentrification, because we failed to find them (I remember at least two down there ... )

Looked at Matsuwa on Kearny Villa Road, but that's Japanese so I wasn't surprised to find no woks there.

Drove along Convoy hoping for a kitchen-stuff-store, but we don't really know what to look for ...

So. Can anyone suggest where we can find a cast-iron wok? Oh, additonal restriction, since we live in a tiny condo with tiny cabinets, we're aiming for 12" diameter.

TIA for any leads ... (and/or your favorite wok recipes *g* ... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
There should still be at least one restaurant supply store in the East Village. If not, it may have moved. Target.com and Bed, Bath and Beyond both have them online. WalMart doesn't have them.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,981,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
So, we've been trying to buy a *not* non-stick wok. (We had a non-stick pan that sloughed off its coating into our dinner. Ick! Ick! Ick!)

Bought one from Amazon that advertised that it was "pre-seasoned". It was not "pre-seasoned"; it was non-stick. Returned it and bought a "cast iron" wok from Amazon. Might have worked, except that it arrived sans handle. Returned that one for another. Again, arrived sans handle. Amazon no longer sells woks from that source.

But ... we're still looking for a cast-iron wok. Closest we came was in the Ranch 99 Market on Clairmont Mesa Blvd, but the box wasn't specific enough in English about what the contents held, so we just ... weren't ... sure. Might have been aluminum?

We tried to find the restaurant supply stores (formerly) in East Village. Apparently they've been overrun by the East-Village gentrification, because we failed to find them (I remember at least two down there ... )

Looked at Matsuwa on Kearny Villa Road, but that's Japanese so I wasn't surprised to find no woks there.

Drove along Convoy hoping for a kitchen-stuff-store, but we don't really know what to look for ...

So. Can anyone suggest where we can find a cast-iron wok? Oh, additonal restriction, since we live in a tiny condo with tiny cabinets, we're aiming for 12" diameter.

TIA for any leads ... (and/or your favorite wok recipes *g* ... )

You should have just opened up a the box... hehe That's what I always do...

Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,545,402 times
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

We did open the box at Ranch 99, but couldn't tell whether the wok was heavy aluminum or steel. We don't want an aluminum wok.

We drove around East Village covering the streets where we were 'certain' the restaurant supply stores were! Decided they had moved due to gentrification. Joke on us ... we were looking on the wrong street! But we also kinda' think any woks they have will be large, restaurant-sized woks.

The woks available at the Target store are non-stick.

I googled Bed, Bath, and Beyond and found one that looks like just the thing we want! So, thanks again, moved!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:00 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,527,914 times
Have you tried Great News in PB? Here's their website: Great News! Discount Cookware and Cooking School

I was in Great News a few weeks back. They have quite a selection of cooking items and cooking classes.

Found this on their website: Lodge Cookware Pro-Logic Cast Iron Wok 14 in :: Chef Pans, Open Stir-fry & Woks :: Cookware :: Discountcooking.com (http://www.discountcooking.com/shop/product.php?productid=4123&cat=0&page=1 - broken link)

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
Cost Plus World Market may also have them. I was in there last month, and they had a lot of kitchen stuff.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,902,314 times
*MAYBE* you could try Daiso in Keany Mesa. Much of the store has Korean/Japanese kitchy weird things, and tupperware, but I think I may have seen pots and pans there when I went.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,345,610 times
Aluminum is not magnetic (at least the types typically used for cookware), so you could bring a small magnet with you to check. A steel pot will stick to the magnet, but not a stainless steel pot.

A major rule is you want to find one with a single handle you can pick it up with, otherwise it's a hassle to push stuff out of it or flip the contents. This is not necessary, but really very useful. Mine has the two hoop handles and it's a pain to get everything out of it with only 2 hands. Personally I would by a single handle one with a hammered steel base or cast iron base.

This online store has a large selection, you can see what's out there.
WOKSHOP.COM: Selling woks and Asian kitchenware for over 30 years

As far as markets go, there's Mitsuwa, Marukai, Zion Market, and Nijiya. I don't know what they carry, but I had thought I saw cookware at Mitsuwa.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 PM

31 posts, read 66,525 times
Gentrification made our woks vanish!
Oh wait, wrong street. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: