Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK View Post
I work in healthcare and my husband works from home so the job aspect isn't a huge deal for us. And we don't have any kids.
No worries about jobs and no family.... San Diego is perfect for you.

I think if I didn't have to worrry about jobs or family it would be perfect for me too. But many of us do have to worry about those things.

My little brother is looking at MN because there is career opp there that could possibly change his life, and it doesn't exist in San Diego. He is willing to put up with horrendous winter for that opportunity. He could stay in SD and do OK, but he is not satisfied with that. He has done a lot of schooling and is in a high-demand healthcare field. He is tired of living like a college kid and is ready to step up. To him, San Diego itself isn't worth that dramatically lower class of lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM

664 posts, read 1,940,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
No worries about jobs and no family.... San Diego is perfect for you.

I think if I didn't have to worrry about jobs or family it would be perfect for me too. But many of us do have to worry about those things.

My little brother is looking at MN because there is career opp there that could possibly change his life, and it doesn't exist in San Diego. He is willing to put up with horrendous winter for that opportunity. He could stay in SD and do OK, but he is not satisfied with that. He has done a lot of schooling and is in a high-demand healthcare field. He is tired of living like a college kid and is ready to step up. To him, San Diego itself isn't worth that dramatically lower class of lifestyle.

What part of MN would his job be in? The winters would be hard but you do get used to them.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
What part of MN would his job be in? The winters would be hard but you do get used to them.
Rochester MN or Minneapolis, Mayo Clinic.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,940,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Rochester MN or Minneapolis, Mayo Clinic.
The Mayo Clinic is beautiful..really the inside is something else..not like any other hospital you've been in. Rochester is a nice city. About 2 hours from Minneapolis. Slow paced, very family orientated.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,745,107 times
I think SD is very over rated. People act like this place is picture perfect paradise, just because they've seen nice pics of San Diego in some magazine.

Overall SD lacks personality and an identity compared to a lot of other big-mid sized cities.

Looking at other states, and cities especially places like Minneapolis, which have seriously impressive looking neighborhoods, that have character, personality, style and best of all it's more affordable than SD. You could probably buy a 2,000sqft house in a nice area for like $250K, here that would put you right in the ghetto or a lower middle class neighborhood which is crazy if you think about it.

Ya so the weather isn't as nice, but would you rather live in a city that under pays, has really high housing cost, higher taxes, expensive car registration and so on, or would you rather live in a city that is much more affordable, offers a bigger bang for your buck where you could be able to live in a nice location for less?

It's a no brainer. What do people do for a living here that allows them to pay for a 500K home? I understand that the median price for a home in SD is around 325K, but if you look at nice or even just average neighborhoods, prices are higher than what the median price says. Even parts of El Cajon, older homes are going for $400,000! in so so spots.

It's outrageous

But no there isn't any reason for people that don't make at least $40,000 a year to have any businesses living in SD, unless you were born here, or if you want to struggle for the rest of your life and possibly become homeless.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I think SD is very over rated. People act like this place is picture perfect paradise, just because they've seen nice pics of San Diego in some magazine.

Overall SD lacks personality and an identity compared to a lot of other big-mid sized cities.

Looking at other states, and cities especially places like Minneapolis, which have seriously impressive looking neighborhoods, that have character, personality, style and best of all it's more affordable than SD. You could probably buy a 2,000sqft house in a nice area for like $250K, here that would put you right in the ghetto or a lower middle class neighborhood which is crazy if you think about it.

Ya so the weather isn't as nice, but would you rather live in a city that under pays, has really high housing cost, higher taxes, expensive car registration and so on, or would you rather live in a city that is much more affordable, offers a bigger bang for your buck where you could be able to live in a nice location for less?

It's a no brainer. What do people do for a living here that allows them to pay for a 500K home? I understand that the median price for a home in SD is around 325K, but if you look at nice or even just average neighborhoods, prices are higher than what the median price says. Even parts of El Cajon, older homes are going for $400,000! in so so spots.

It's outrageous

But no there isn't any reason for people that don't make at least $40,000 a year to have any businesses living in SD, unless you were born here, or if you want to struggle for the rest of your life and possibly become homeless.
Just curious, but what does being born here have to do with affordability? Do we get a native credit or something I'm not familiar with? If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Regardless of whether you are from here or not, am I right? People move here and can afford tp live here, people who are from here can't afford to live here, and vice versa.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
[b]I think SD is very over rated. People act like this place is picture perfect paradise, just because they've seen nice pics of San Diego in some magazine.

Overall SD lacks personality and an identity compared to a lot of other big-mid sized cities.[b]

It's outrageous

Careful, talk like this really bothers San Diegans lol.

I agree with you though. I was just having this conversation with people at work and we were talking about how SD lacks flavor. It's rather bland.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,416 times
I'm guessing that if you were born/raised here, then you or family probably have property purchased before the RE bubble grew. Those who purchased in the 90's have the potential in certain areas to sell at 300% purchase price if sold right now. Also those who purchased at such a low price only has to pay purchase price tax, right? That could be several thousand there.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
I'm guessing that if you were born/raised here, then you or family probably have property purchased before the RE bubble grew. Those who purchased in the 90's have the potential in certain areas to sell at 300% purchase price if sold right now. Also those who purchased at such a low price only has to pay purchase price tax, right? That could be several thousand there.
More like several hundred thousand, but remember San Diego has a large underclass, many who don't own anything and are barely hanging on. Most of the lower classes who could cash out, did so 5+ years ago and ended up in places like Chino and Corona, Vegas, and Pheonix. Those left today, probably can't make that kind of move.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
My parents bought their house in Solana Beach in 1964 for $25,000. The ocean-view lots were $35,000, so they settled for the ones at the end of the street that don't have ocean views. They still live in the same house, which is probably worth $1.5 million now. But ... I bought a house for my family in Encinitas. My parents didn't have anything to do with it. So not everyone who is a San Diego native lives in their family home so they can take advantage of the benefits you and Sass described. I'm just saying this because many of my friends who have similar family histories did the same thing, as in, didn't rely on relatives to "grandfather them in."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego