Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Overpopulation? I take it you must like very desolate areas as SD isn't bad at all.
I agree, I don't think SD is all that congested compared to other cities. Here, one can decide if it's a good time to take whatever freeway. In other places you pretty much know that certain freeways are going to be a royal pain regardless the time of day or often day of the week.

Having said that, I think SD is on it's way to Los Angelization. Just not there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
What I don't like is the contant traffic. And overpopualtion of pretty much everywhere you go. I know it will always be like this but this is what I don't like.
Kidding right? Traffic in San Diego is almost non-existent compared to Los Angeles. And I hope I don't have to say the same thing about overpopulation...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Having said that, I think SD is on it's way to Los Angelization. Just not there yet.
It will NEVER get there b/c there is no more land left to develop. There will not be anymore large developments like 4S Ranch anywhere in the county ever again. All future developments will be small scale and/or infill. The area will be just be too expensive to experiance high rates of growth again.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
I would like to hear these massive differences between LA and SD. I spend time with friends in both cities on a regular basis and while there are some differences, more wannabe celebs/self-absored people in LA...tell me what's the huge lack of commonalities in the average person living day to day?
Are you serious? LA is far more congested and far more populated and much much bigger, much more urban, etc. It is also far far more smoggy (the two are not even comparable in terms of visible smog. Think of the vastness of LA and just how many gritty urban areas there are. San Diego has tons of open space comparatively and is largely suburban in nature. The beach scene isn't comparable either. Yes, LA has beaches, but LA isn't a beach oriented city. San Diego is. The city itself is on the water (unlike LA). You can get to a beach without much trouble from almost anywhere in the San Diego area (unlike LA). Cost wise $600K for a home in LA is joke whereas it gets you a decent place in SD (I know people on this forum complain about the cost, but San Diego isn't anywhere near as expensive as LA). The nightlife isn't comparable at all- San Diego is slow paced, LA has trendy clubs, etc. Politics are not similar. The people are different too. Yes there are shallow people everywhere, etc. but the people in San Diego are down to earth comapred to LA. Other than weather, San Diego has more in common with Denver than it does with LA.
Also look up population density of US cities (which is good measurement of how "urban" an area is):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density
Of the most densley populated incorporated cities in the US, over 25 are in LA county (inluding LA itself). And let's be honest, LA county is LA. How many are in San Diego county? NONE. Not a single one, not even San Diego itself. That IS VERY DIFFERENT. according to that link, in terms of dense areas, NYC has 55 of the most densely populated areas in the US. LA has 27 of the most densely populated. The next closest is Miami with 7. San Diego has none.

Last edited by JakeDog; 10-20-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

231 posts, read 640,001 times
^All valid points, I was speaking more in terms of society than physical aspects. By the way, the downtown/center city club scene is surprisingly decent in SD.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree, I don't think SD is all that congested compared to other cities. Here, one can decide if it's a good time to take whatever freeway. In other places you pretty much know that certain freeways are going to be a royal pain regardless the time of day or often day of the week.

No, I agree it's not as bad as LA area, or New York for that matter. Just lots and lots of people. Houses on top of eachother, things like that. But San Diego is beautiful with nice weather so how could it not be.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Traffic has gotten worse in SD, I notice the freeways during the day are much more crowded, not jammed packed like LA, but it's definitely noticeable, and street traffic has increased big time. What the hell do people do at 10 am? Why are the streets constantly always packed? I understand people work different hours, but it's like nobody works out here since it seems like everyone is out and about shopping and doing nothing with there lives.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 PM

78 posts, read 193,476 times
Yes i have noticed traffic getting worse in San Diego as well, of course not as bad as LA's but it really is noticeable. But anyways... Every city has its pros and cons. And yes San Diego isn't all about surfing.. i live here and no i am not into the beach or surfing at all, its nice but I'm not hella into that ****, but do i hate San Diego??? NOPE.. i actually love it here. San Diego and Los Angeles are hella different from each other, same with cities in the Bay.. but thats what gives California a unique twist than the rest of the other states. If San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego were all the same it would kinda make our CA bland compared to what CA is now. Like some people say San Francisco=Cosmopolitan Culture, Los Angeles=Fashion, Entertainment, and San Diego=Family, Vacation, or a perfect getaway from chaotic cities like NYC, I LOVE New York City btw =) ahaha so yea.

I think it's expensive to live in CA because we're the most populous state, if it were cheap like other states there prolly wouldn't be enough room to drive your cars ahaha. I think we should switch to mass transit like in the east coast... i think its smarter, and to build vertical instead of horizontal.. i hate suburban sprawl. building up saves space and there would be more room for people to live, IMHO. Anyone can totally disagree with me, thats fine...but thats just what i think.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
hmm interesting views on traffic b/c my commute between Pacific Beach and Carlsbad has gotten better over the past two years, mainly during the summer months when it was usually horrendous. Two summers ago I could easily count on at least one day where my commute home would take me 1.5 hours. But that past two summers I maybe had a total of 2 or 3 days like that total as opposed to once a week. Gas prices then the economy are the reasons I believe. Maybe it's different in other parts of SD but I have noticed less traffic overall for my commute.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM

88 posts, read 301,234 times
Climate is great if you like sunshine, being able to plan outdoor activities well in the future, and just enjoying the outside. The traffic is not as bad as some make it out to be. The Gov't is well the government......I think all of them are corrupt! Remember that the state of California is having financial issues so this may affect SD in alot of ways....I am sure it will/is/has been. Almost anything you want to do is either here or just north. I dont like it here myself, but for other reasons, not because something is wrong with the city....I want to be in an area that has alot less people.

Biggest negative in SD is the cost of housing. If you dont mind living out of SD a little ways, it gets better as far as affordability. I live in Mission Valley and it is expensive, but conveniently located.

Gib
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego