Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM

20 posts, read 71,501 times

Advertisements

I am "thinking" about moving down to LA or San Diego (where I grew up)!! Yes I know all the bad situations...jobs, housing, homeless, etc.... But from what I see the majority of problems are the --above blue collar-- workers that have major debt., problems and houses that are not worth much now.
I am just speculating so if I am miss-informed please let me know!!! I have 2 houses here in spokane, Wa. with one for sale now, and will use the profit from it as a down payment on a house down there, I am looking into foreclosure/short-sale houses, and I have an RV I can stay in until I find a job and a house to buy. My career field is in assembling automotive motors, welding aluminum/steel, and shipping/recieving. Are there blue-collar NON-computer, sales, IT type jobs around down there??? Thank you....Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 AM

95 posts, read 388,670 times
Jobs are extremely hard to get right now. A co-worker of mine had a friend that owns a restaurant in SD, needed a waitress 2 days a week only , posted on craigslist and had 1200 applicants for 1 job!Stories like that I hear everyday , if you have a job now DONT quit! Stay where you are.THERE ARE FEW GOOD JOBS RIGHT NOW, especially as a food server or bartendar as those are traditional "fallback" jobs that people from other industries try to go back into when they lose their"real"job.Most openings are going to people on the inside already or if you know someone.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
This is true. I lost my job in January. I've been on unemployment since March. I spend a minimum of 2-4 hours a day applying for jobs online. That's just the minimum, sometimes I stay most of the night doing that. I leave no stones unturned, and sometimes will apply for a job again, because it can't hurt. I'm trying to get back into the federal government, but don't know when/if it will even happen. I get rejections for seasonal jobs, which used to be easy to get.

After I get up in the morning, I start all over again, and next month I'll be on my first unemployment extension.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.
What about the current housing market?? I have been looking on a website called "ziprealty.com" (NO, I am not endorsing or name dropping this company!!!) I type in some parameters such as $250,00 max. in price, a garage, 3 bedrooms, and 25 miles within Linda Vista (thats where I grew up) there are lots of houses available. Is this site just "smoke and mirrors" or is the market THAT BAD for sellers???? I just looked at a NICE house (at least the posted pictures looked nice) in Escondido, for $235,000 4 beds, 2 bath, 2 car garage, decent sized lot, and the crime rate was at 20% of the nations average. Last sold price was $425,000 6 years ago............. man, that is kinda TOO hard to pass up?!?!??!?!?!?!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This is true. I lost my job in January. I've been on unemployment since March. I spend a minimum of 2-4 hours a day applying for jobs online. That's just the minimum, sometimes I stay most of the night doing that. I leave no stones unturned, and sometimes will apply for a job again, because it can't hurt. I'm trying to get back into the federal government, but don't know when/if it will even happen. I get rejections for seasonal jobs, which used to be easy to get.

After I get up in the morning, I start all over again, and next month I'll be on my first unemployment extension.
I feel ya on this one.I need another job sense I only get about 8-15 hours a week!!!(2 or 3 days a week)
But for the last two weeks I have put in apps everywhere down here.Party City,Office Depot,Jack In The Box(Yes fast food;I don't care anymore)Costco,Chick-Fil-A you name it(in CV) I probably put in an app.

And good luck with your search buddy.Though I'm not on unemployment I'm sort of in the same boat as you.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperimpala View Post
Thanks for the replies.
What about the current housing market?? I have been looking on a website called "ziprealty.com" (NO, I am not endorsing or name dropping this company!!!) I type in some parameters such as $250,00 max. in price, a garage, 3 bedrooms, and 25 miles within Linda Vista (thats where I grew up) there are lots of houses available. Is this site just "smoke and mirrors" or is the market THAT BAD for sellers???? I just looked at a NICE house (at least the posted pictures looked nice) in Escondido, for $235,000 4 beds, 2 bath, 2 car garage, decent sized lot, and the crime rate was at 20% of the nations average. Last sold price was $425,000 6 years ago............. man, that is kinda TOO hard to pass up?!?!??!?!?!?!
you looked on line, at a house that actually sold for $425,000 6 years ago and is now $235,000?

If you are going to continue to look on line, why not try Realtor.com. They usually have all the updated listing by MLS number. But again, what you are seeing may not be what you will see when you get to the area.

You also asked about blue collar versus white collar jobs, both are almost impossible to find right now.

Nita

Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM

I'll try that realtor.com site. Yes, the house was listed for that price and it shows what the last sales price was. Thats why I was in such "shock" when I saw it. Check out that site if you get a chance it's hard to imagine the prices. The realtor (from the ziprealty site) that I am working with is telling me thats how the market is right now, but YES your right, it may be different when I actually get there. Thats why I am asking here instead of going by what the realtor (in all rights a saleman) is telling me. Thanks for the info Nita. You have several posts around here I read with great enthusiasm....Ken

Last edited by chopperimpala; 10-25-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego