U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's yet another “moving to SD” series of questions.

I've looked through and found some answers, but would love to hear any fresh opinions.

I've lived up in L.A. For 6 years now (originally from AZ) and am thinking about moving to SD soon.

I'm 35, male, single, college educated professional, a web developer, and screenwriter.

Here are my questions:

1)What would be a good part of town for me to live in? I like a place that you can walk or bike around easily. Close bars and shops are good. Within a mile from the beach is best. Like to surf. Prefer casual to uptight. Not looking for party people or excessive college kids (I'm getting too old for that), but I still like to go out locally and meet people.

2)Is there a filmmakers or screenwriter's community of any kind in SD? Here in L.A. every other person you bump into is a writer or in TV. What's the “entertainment industry” vibe down there (if any)?

3)How many earthquakes/tremors do you feel a year? I've looked at all the official quake data, and it seems that SD has the least likelihood of a big quake in SoCal. But just knowing that fact, does that settle your nerves? One of the main reasons I want to move is the thought of the “big one” here in L.A. sets my nerves off. I feel like I'm sitting on a time-bomb and I want to be in a beach community where I don't have to worry about major damage or dying (paranoid, I know).

Anyone who lived in L.A.? How does SD compare on any or all of these points?

Thanks a million for all your input! I've only been there a couple of times and liked it so far, but I need to spend some more time there to be sure it's what I want.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 9,196,070 times
1. Look into downtown, Little Italy, maybe Hillcrest (just know that's the LGBT area...fantastic 'hood). I would say Pacific Beach but it's full of icky beer-soaked college kids, TBH.
2. Honestly, I don't know. I think LA takes the cake for all of the "creative" types. Still, you're close enough to LA here to still be able to make trips if you need to for work-related things.
3. You'll be killed one thousand times over by a million other things before you get nary a scratch from an earthquake here in San Diego. Seriously, don't give it another thought. It's a statistically moot thing to to worry about. I've honestly never felt a thing (though to be fair I haven't lived here long).

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM

455 posts, read 1,022,906 times
SD is in a better zone than LA or SF in quakes. There will be damages and pobssible casualties, depending on magnitude and where you are at the time of the quake, so don't sweat it otherwise. You have other things to worry about.

The risks increase if you decide to purchase property in SD though. Cali is overdue to a major one, statistically.

Although I don't live in SD yet, I'd recommend living near DT as suggested. The Hillcrest area is nice.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM

8,490 posts, read 27,320,470 times
We get these questions from time-to-time, so I want to post this as a reference I can link back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterJosh View Post
2)Is there a filmmakers or screenwriter's community of any kind in SD? Here in L.A. every other person you bump into is a writer or in TV. What's the “entertainment industry” vibe down there (if any)?
Although San Diego is physically near Los Angeles, the two cities share no part of the entertainment economy. There is no relevant entertainment industry in San Diego. There is certainly a small group of indie or otherwise amateur filmmakers, on par with almost any large city in the country. However from an employment perspective, one should not expect to find anything here.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 PM

460 posts, read 1,241,818 times
You live in Los Angeles. You should never be scared of an earthquake.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

I checked out SD last weekend, and I think I'm going to move down there in the next month.

Appreciate all the great info.

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 5,957,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterJosh View Post
Thanks everyone.

I checked out SD last weekend, and I think I'm going to move down there in the next month.

Appreciate all the great info.

Thanks!
So what did you like about San Diego? What area will you be living in?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,539 times
Here is my personal opinion if you want some good bars, good walking/ biking, semi affordable, good neighborhoods, etc.. Encinitas. I may be a little partial to North County, but Encinitas has a good mix of bars for a super young crowd to more sophisticated bars. It is pretty affordable as far as beach towns are concerned, the traffic is not nearly as bad as PB and it is much cleaner and nicer (and less alcohol soaked college kids) than PB or OB. Hell, now I made myself want to move there.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM

31 posts, read 53,402 times
Default Still think Encinitas is still a good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoMusicCentral View Post
Here is my personal opinion if you want some good bars, good walking/ biking, semi affordable, good neighborhoods, etc.. Encinitas. I may be a little partial to North County, but Encinitas has a good mix of bars for a super young crowd to more sophisticated bars. It is pretty affordable as far as beach towns are concerned, the traffic is not nearly as bad as PB and it is much cleaner and nicer (and less alcohol soaked college kids) than PB or OB. Hell, now I made myself want to move there.
Do folks still think Encinitas is still a good choice?

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,276,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader_22 View Post
Do folks still think Encinitas is still a good choice?

Thank you.
It hasn't gotten any worse since this thread died haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego