Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 AM

111 posts, read 195,405 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm a single, 51 year old male looking to move to San Diego. I visited for about a week in 2007 (stayed at the La Jolla Inn) and absolutely loved the weather and the ocean. I even hooked up for the week with a Brazilian woman who was 20 years younger than me. It was one of the best weeks of my life!

I've lived in the midwest all my life and need to make a change. I live in Oklahoma now, and grew up in Wisconsin. My allergies are horrible here in Oklahoma, and seem to get worse each year. I'm also tired of the wind when it comes sweeping down the plain. I have dreamed of living in California since I was a teenager, but circumstances kept me from realizing my dream.

I will come to California with my dog (mini Schnauzer), $10,000 in the bank, 2 credit cards, and 15 years of information technology experience (I am not a programmer). I know I will have competition for a job from people much younger than me, but I have to think there must be a company somewhere in the area that would like a mature, stable person in their IT department. I'm in good shape, have most of my hair, have an outgoing personality, and look younger than my years. I don't have a security clearance but would not have a problem getting one.

I posted something back in February about moving and got back a lot of negative responses, which kind of scared me off. But now the itch to move is here again, and there is no place I would rather live. I know my age is working against me in the workplace, but I believe if you really want something, you can achieve it, no matter what the odds.

I will rent when I get out there and would like to know some of the best places to live that would have moderate rent prices, if there is such a thing. Looking for the usuals of course: low crime, access to stores, etc.

I welcome objective responses. What I don't want to hear is how I am too old for the workforce or any of the overly negative crap I read last time. I know it won't be all sunshine and lollipops, but I am willing to work hard for my dream.

Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
A Brazilian girl 20 years younger than you? You the man!

My best friend (mid-50s) from my military days just married a 26 year old girl. I asked him what they talk about. His response "Talk? Do we need to talk?"

San Diego is a tough place to live without a paycheck. Since your budget is limited, I'd look for a shared living arrangement to start your new San Diego life. Maybe something like this: MASTER ROOM W BATH AND CLOSET AVAILABLE (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/roo/1442447809.html - broken link)

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Sunshine, lollipops and ... daydreams all around...

Just come on down. You'll never know until you try. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, hey, thousands of people come and go from SD every year. Recognize the risk and move forward... that's all you can do.

You want someone to validate your dream? Not gonna happen. No one is going to tell you that things are rosy here and your prospects are good, because the reality for many of us is not very rosy right now.

You aren't very clear about what it is that you do exactly, but if you are a desktop support guy or a windows admin you can expect to compete with a couple thousand asian 20-somethings for that 20-dollar-an hour job.

My company (top ten public company in SD) laid off 50% of IT staff this year. Don't kid yourself about your job prospects. San Diego has one of the worst job markets *in the entire country* right now.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
There are really three types of people who are suited for San Diego.

The young adult moving out here to attend college- So. Cal doesn't get much better for the 20-25 year olds as far as activities/nightlife. You can rent a nice place and split it up with other people and live like a King before you have real responsibilites.

The San Diego Native- who was born and raised here- bought a home a long time ago and can't fathom temps below 50.

The filthy rich who have made their money, kids are out of the house and their career is winding down. They can retreat to an area with space like Rancho Santa Fe not be bothered by neighbors. They can afford real estate and all the other sunshine taxes.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
There are really three types of people who are suited for San Diego.
Anyone who appreciates what San Diego has to offer and can make it work here is suited for San Diego. If the OP can find a job and doesn't mind renting an average apt, then I see no reason why he shouldn't come. Doesn't seem like he's looking to raise a family or come here for career opportunities but more so for a lifestyle change, for which SD is a great place for that imo. People can live pretty simply here and be very happy b/c it is that type of place that offers that opportunity/lifestyle.

My main advice is get the job situation taken care off before moving out here or that $10K is gonna be gone before you realize it.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyone who appreciates what San Diego has to offer and can make it work here is suited for San Diego. If the OP can find a job and doesn't mind renting an average apt, then I see no reason why he shouldn't come. Doesn't seem like he's looking to raise a family or come here for career opportunities but more so for a lifestyle change, for which SD is a great place for that imo. People can live pretty simply here and be very happy b/c it is that type of place that offers that opportunity/lifestyle.

My main advice is get the job situation taken care off before moving out here or that $10K is gonna be gone before you realize it.
Thank you for the common sense approach and not being a "Debbie Downer". However, I have tried sending resumes in to places in San Diego in the past and never get a response. My feeling is that unless you are there, they aren't going to consider you.

Maybe I will spend a week or two out there looking for a job and see how it goes?

thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
A Brazilian girl 20 years younger than you? You the man!

My best friend (mid-50s) from my military days just married a 26 year old girl. I asked him what they talk about. His response "Talk? Do we need to talk?"

San Diego is a tough place to live without a paycheck. Since your budget is limited, I'd look for a shared living arrangement to start your new San Diego life. Maybe something like this: MASTER ROOM W BATH AND CLOSET AVAILABLE (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/roo/1442447809.html - broken link)
Yes, and the great thing was that she picked me up! And in an ice cream parlor in La Jolla of all places. I was blessed that week :-)

I defintely will look into the shared living arrangement. I have checked Craigslist in the past, and there seem to be some decent deals out there. The bad thing is that most of them do not want dogs. I can't leave my mini Schnauzer. He is 13 years old and no one I know could take him, even if I wanted to go that route. He is very healthy for his age, except for some arthritis and hearing loss. I would love for him to live out his last years in a perfect climate by the ocean.

I don't have a paycheck, but I do get unemployment from Oklahoma, even if I move (my job was outsourced for the second time in 3 years). So that would help somewhat. Even if I can't get an IT job, I'm sure I could pick up something. Better to work at a Walmart in a city where I don't know anyone than to work at one here where friends will come to gawk and see how the mighty have fallen. :-)

Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko959 View Post
Thank you for the common sense approach and not being a "Debbie Downer". However, I have tried sending resumes in to places in San Diego in the past and never get a response. My feeling is that unless you are there, they aren't going to consider you.

Maybe I will spend a week or two out there looking for a job and see how it goes?

thanks
Yeah I'm not sure what to tell you about that, I've never tried to get a job out of state and I'd imagine even in good economic times it's not the easiest task. You might get lucky but many people spend months here looking for a job so I wouldn't count on getting much out of a week or two of job hunting here. Maybe try to see what others in similar situations have done on some tips on how to land a job from out of state. I think I recall some people saying they got a local cell phone number and maybe a PO Box here to help land them a job from out of town. Anyways, good luck with the job search and I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Before you go down the local phone number and a PO Box route, you might want to check with some headhunters. If your area of IT is in demand enough, being out-of-town should not be a big deterrent (assuming you are willing to fly out for interviews on your own dime)

Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Marko...
Don't get a PO Box. People live in apts, condos, and houses. Not PO Boxes. For a few bucks a month, a local UPS Store can give you a real address. They can also forward any mail you receive directly to you.

Here are some local UPS Stores:
The UPS Store: Locations

Combine a UPS Store address with a local phone number (using a cell phone or Vonage) and you can job hunt from Oklahoma like a local San Diegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego