Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the title of the thread would be more appropriately, "2009: Era of the older parent", meaning, this is more of a recent trend rather than a geographic trend.

I was born in 1961 and my parents were 40 and 38, significantly older than the neighborhood kids' parents. It was like being raised by grandparents.

I'm 48 and I have a 10, 7, 6, and 2 year old. While I'm probably older compared to most of the parents I see at my kids' activities, the difference isn't as great as it was in the 1960s.
You're right, Charles. It is not a geographic thing. I am not in SD. I'm in the Coachella Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Pom

23 posts, read 60,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also see a big difference in children of parents who are older when they get started. I am generalizing and will not say too much more.
Really? I know kids from all kinds of families, as I volunteer quite a bit in my children's schools, and the differences I see in behaviors have nothing to do with the parents' ages. Furthermore, I'm sure we all know of families where one child ends up doing quite well and another doesn't, even though they are raised in the same manner.

There are positives and negatives to having kids when one is younger or older. Certainly when a person is younger they have more energy, and when older more maturity. It's a personal decision, and sometimes may have more to do with one's situation than choice. I don't think there's a clear "right way" when it comes to something like this.

BTW, I had my kids in my 40's and they are all doing extremely well both socially and academically. And I don't feel like there is anything at all out of the ordinary when I go to events and some of the parents are quite a bit younger,

Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Since we've had a kid we find ourselves frequenting places we didn't - parks, playgroups, the zoo, etc. One thing we keep noticing is that there are a lot of fortysomething+ parents out there with 1, 2 and 3 year old children.

We see this most in the more suburban areas like Del Cerro, and less in say, South Park or Mission Hills or Balboa Park where it is more younger / hipster parents. I am guessing in the new housing areas like Chula Vista or San Marcos you probably see a lot of younger parents too.

Has anyone else noticed this? I couldn't imagine pushing 45 or 50 and running around after an 18-month old!
I think that's a trend effecting most of America. People no longer get married and have kids in their 20's so why wait until their 30's or even 40's before they start building a family. Hell, I'm 33 and have been living with my girlfriend for almost three years and I'm not sure if I'm ready to get married and have kids yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego