Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster12 View Post
San Diego has to be one of worst possible places you could pick. People in sd have less to spend than almost anywhere elese in the contry.
How do you figure? As bad as the economy is here it is still has a very high population of well-off citizens, as well as wealthy retirees. How are you substantiating that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 PM

15 posts, read 23,807 times
Do I really have to ?

I'm wondering hard about people who choose to stay here. Is not knowing how poor SD is part of the requirement to be a local? These NYers are in for a teching moment..

Not that anyone here would care but... SD has lowest ppp of top metros and lowest real wage. And not the least.... It's in a state known as California the current model of what not to do to run an economy.

SD is expensve like Park Avenue with the Amenities of you'd expect of a border town like El Paso.

Last edited by coaster12; 11-03-2009 at 11:41 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Do I really have to ?

I'm wondering hard about people who choose to stay here. Is not knowing how poor SD is part of the requirement to be a local?
I'm just wondering what your factual basis is in regards to saying that.

Although there is a relatively small middle class in San Diego, as well as a substantial amount of people that are living under the poverty line coupled with a high COL, much of the county has median income levels that are some of the highest in the country. So...keeping that in mind, it seems to be erroneous to say that "San Diegans have less to spend than almost anywhere else in the county." That's a big statement.

If the OP is seriously considering trying to have a business here in San Diego, claims like that aren't helping, unless they're coupled with facts.

Although I agree that the state is CA is f*cked with much of its expenditures, and there are better places to start a business (as a business-owner, trust me...CA is not business friendly) I don't think that "San Diego being the worst in the country for expendable income" is valid.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Here! Let me compile a short list of business ideas no one else has thought of:
1. Curling rink (rink? Is that what they call it?)
2. An Estonian restaurant. Can't say I've seen one anywhere. OK, well, maybe except for in Estonia.
3. Bungee jumping off the bridge in Balboa Park. I don't think anyone working in the park would mind.
4. Packard dealership. An oldie, but a goodie.
5. Door-to-door cuckoo clock salesman. (Hey! It's easier than being a door-to-door grandfather clock salesman!)

Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 PM

I saw that instead of replying to me you edited your previous post.
Quote:
These NYers are in for a teching moment..
I'm not following you with that...what does that mean?
Quote:
Not that anyone here would care but... SD has lowest ppp of top metros and lowest real wage.
What does "ppp" stand for? When you say "real wage" are you referring to income after taxes?
Quote:
SD is expensve like Park Avenue with the Amenities of you'd expect of a border town like El Paso.
I assume you mean amenities as in infrastructure or public services? Because as "things to do" or whatnot, San Diego ranks pretty high...especially with much of its natural scenery/good weather alone.

---
Anyhow, to the OP--my husband and I own an LLC here in San Diego. However, we're an internet business so we don't have a "physical" store thus we didn't need permits from the city to start our business. As an LLC, you pay the CA Franchise Tax board $800 per year, due in April (you also have to pay it when you register your business for that year, within 3 months of forming). For an LLC the $800 is all you pay until you get up to (I think) 250k of revenue, and then it's a percentage as well. A corporation (S-chapter or otherwise) is different. Still, you HAVE to pay at least $800 per year, minimum, even if you may no money (sucks).

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
My brother owns a fairly popular small business in San Diego(neighborhood bike shop) and he works his tail off for very little money. San Diego is a somewhat retail-saturated market in general. There is no shortage of marginal small business all over the city.

Personally I would agree with the poster above in that you might be better off buying an existing business. Given current market conditions you will probably be getting a much better deal.

I also agree with Kettlepot in that many neighborhoods with middle-and-upper-middle class urbanite populations have little-to-no appropriate amenities available. However my guess is that there is a reason for that - i.e. commercial districts are so decrepit no upper-middle-class urbanite would go anywhere near them.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 11-04-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM

In short pinksquid, SD has one of if not the lowest living standard of almost all top metros on the country. Do your homework

appearently there might be a good business would be letting people know what they getting into with a move to SD..

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 27,862 times
I am inclined to buy an existing business, maybe two or three. Then I can create a new brand. A new chain. I'll do my own advertising, so I become a local celebrity. I'll get the best tables at the finest restaurants. I'll be recognized wherever I go. I'll have affairs with beautiful young women who want to be in my commercials. My wife will divorce me and take half of my empire. I'll go broke defending myself against paternity claims. I'll end up homeless and penniless. But at least I'll be in San Diego.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
In short pinksquid, SD has one of if not the lowest living standard of almost all top metros on the country. Do your homework

appearently there might be a good business would be letting people know what they getting into with a move to SD..
That is pretty BS and you have yet to shown anything to actually back that up. If you can't then it's nothing more than some baseless opinion.

San Diego doesn't rank that bad at all in pretty much all quality of life measures and ranks fairly well in several such as low crime and education. It may not be at the top but sure as hell isn't at the bottom either.

http://www.downstate.edu/urbansoc_healthdata/Urban%20Center%20Website/web%20design2/pdf%20files/report4pdfs/urbanreport4.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by sav858; 11-04-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Boy have I nailed SD. El paso but only better with the cost of the hamptons.

Anyhow it is a pretty place and I'm sure are opportunities for some folks. Not many but a small few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego