Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

The foreclosure rate is very high at the moment but I am confident it will get worked out in the traditional manner. I don't see the state raising taxes on the majority of the people recently and most of the actual tax increases were in fact roll backs of recent tax cuts so the over all tax rate remains about where it was in the late 1990's so it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. As for the standard of living I think it is quite high in terms of quality of life and I've lived in a number of areas but keep coming back. Part of it is I grew up here and all of my family is here but a lot of it has to do with the fact that the quality of life is very high.

You definitely do need to have a good degree and make at least $70k a year to live well here though but if you do then the place is quite nice. Hell, if you have a job and good credit right now you can get a three bedroom town house in Mira Mesa for about $235k which is the lowest prices I've seen since the early 90's. It's a great place to get a bit of the good life by taking advantage of other people's mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster12 View Post
Yes I live here. In many ways this is the most defunked town I've ever seen. Thousands in forclosure, buisnesses leaving, the state rasing taxes on a whim..

The town may go bankrupt or cut til there's nada left. The standard of livig is the lowest among peer group.. Geeze

what can I say, I think the reasons why I think low of SD are perfectly valid. Not the people per se buy the mess they've created.
Coaster, I don't think you're trolling, so I will say that typically when you come onto forums making brazen claims, you're going to want to have information and/or facts to back up what you're saying. Otherwise it isn't very effective, and people will just brush you off as being a troll.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Plain and a Simple a good deli. And any business that takes advanatge of tourism.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny2sdca View Post
I'm guessing you (coaster12) don't think much of El Paso... or San Diego. However, I remain undeterred.

I thought perhaps San Diego was more like Northern Virginia (NoVA), but with better weather.

Both SD and NoVA seem to be strongly influenced by the military and tend to be conservative and religious, although not necessarily intolerant. Both SD and NoVA have a number of small town centers, but do require a car for pretty much everything.

People in SD and NoVA tend to shop at malls, and seem okay with chain restaurants. Sadly, I think they may believe that "P.F. Chang's" is good Chinese food and "Maggiano's" is good Italian food (they're not). But chain restaurants are like kudzu, so I can accept this fact.

Look... New York City (Manhattan) is king of all cities. And there can be only one king. So I do not need or expect SD to be as great as Manhattan. I just need a decent place to live and raise my children. I need a place to open a business and make a few honest bucks. And, every now and then, I need authentic Chinese and Italian food cooked by actual Chinese and Italian people.

SD is pretty incomparable to anywhere else. Just from the overall mentality, I see a big difference. I've spent sometime in NoVa and the DC area (Arlington, Bethesda) The wealthy there don't seem to mingle and go out of their box too much- here its pretty much the opposite. Status is more defined on job title, education level and where you went to school. In SD, there is more of a showiness, of material items, I think some people would rather invest in items than themselves like a better education. Having said that if your a business owner you can capitalize on this attitude.

I would say without a doubt the restaurants are much better there than they are here. If you took over a place and brought a little of NY or east coast flair you'd do fine. You can even go small scale, even though folks out here have and spend money on fine dining. I would love for more New Yorker Transplants to open a deli or pizza shop here and show the folks out here how its done.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 11-05-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 199,704 times
A NYC bagel shop. We don't have good bagels in San Diego. If they can figure out how to make NY pizza in San Diego (Bronx Pizza, Fat Tony's), why can't anyone make good NY style bagels? If anyone does figure it out, they would make some dough!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM

47 posts, read 112,870 times
Default water

Wally 99:

You'd have to import the water. That's what makes the difference.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel09 View Post
Wally 99:

You'd have to import the water. That's what makes the difference.
Big question is it water or wooder?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Big question is it water or wooder?
in NY: wahw-ter
in CA: wer-ter

Bagels: try gold coast Bagel in the Lake Murray area, it is the best I've had in SD.

NY Pizza does very well here, but I think that market might be a little saturated.

There is definitely a demand for US regional specialties (Philly cheesesteaks, NY pizza, etc). Maryland Crab Cakes perhaps?

Last edited by NYSD1995; 11-06-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

75 posts, read 199,704 times
I say: Wah-da
Maybe bagels take a lot more water (wah-da) than pizza?
Thanks for the recommendation on the bagel place, I'll have to check it out.
Of course, nothing in my neighborhood in Clairemont...

As for NY pizza market being saturated, it depends on what area. In Clairemont, Fat Tony's opened around six months ago, and is doing great. I used to drive to Bronx whenever I wanted good pizza, now that the Fat Tony's is in my neighborhood, I go to Bronx a lot less.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally99 View Post
As for NY pizza market being saturated, it depends on what area. In Clairemont, Fat Tony's opened around six months ago, and is doing great. I used to drive to Bronx whenever I wanted good pizza, now that the Fat Tony's is in my neighborhood, I go to Bronx a lot less.
At least in the city... you have 2 Luigis locations, Bronx, Brooklyn Pizzeria (Mission Gorge), 2 Ciro's locations, A Sicilian thing. North county has a couple now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego