Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,346,497 times

Advertisements

If you're interested in public transit, you can take the Coaster train in Oceanside to Old Town and get the trolley right into SDSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 22,212 times
Public transit would definitely be an option for me! Thanks for reminding me of that f_m!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM

250 posts, read 908,617 times
Driving north on the 5 at an early hour isn't bad. We lived in rancho del oro neighborhood when my hubbie was at ACU-5 (not sure where in camp P this would be considered but I know it took him 15 min door to door to get there and he had most of time spent within the base once he got through checkpoint).
I'm assuming your hubbie will be leaving for work early early so he may not see the amount of traffic you will see. When we were there I worked in encinitas at the hospital there (nights) and the commute SOUTH on the 5 was still heavy at 1030pm. YOU will be experiencing most of the commute unless you look further south as someone already mentioned encinitas/solana beach etc. I know it would often take me 90 min to get from la jolla to our home in Oside when I was working day shift and had training at the scripps la jolla. Ouch. BUT this was commuting back home around 4pm.

I would most definitely NOT do san clemente unless you're willing to drive for longer periods. School is temporary and honestly SD traffic isn't too horrible in my experience. I would still look into carlsbad, resales might be better since the school district is better rated than oceanside's.
anyhow, good luck!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM

204 posts, read 638,943 times
Militarymom, My husband is at ACU5 now! I know what you mean about that commute for them. It's mostly just getting through the base for them.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM

militarymom, thanks so much for your info. My husband will be driving up the 5 the whole length of Camp P but others have told me that going north in the morning and south in the evening isn't nearly as bad as the opposite, like you mentioned. How long were you in the area? There are a few houses in the Rancho del Oro subdivision we really like. Did you own or rent in there? If you owned, did you have any trouble selling? I'd love Carlsbad but like I said it might be a little too far for him. And public trans is possible for me but not for him since he obviously needs to drive on base. We'll have to judge when we get there and can actually make the drive and see the area. Thanks so much everyone!!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM

664 posts, read 1,940,801 times
What's your budget for a house? In my opinion, you need at least 325-350k to get into a "nice" area in Oside. Many military buy in Temecula/Murrietta area because you get more for your money but the commute from Cp to either is soooo bad!! If it's just the two of you are there condos in Carlsbad that you could afford?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

That's our optimal range right there, $325-$350k, we could go up to $365k if we found something worth it. Would a condo in Carlsbad really be better for resale than a single family in a nicer part of Oceanside?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbella View Post
militarymom, thanks so much for your info. My husband will be driving up the 5 the whole length of Camp P but others have told me that going north in the morning and south in the evening isn't nearly as bad as the opposite, like you mentioned. How long were you in the area? There are a few houses in the Rancho del Oro subdivision we really like. Did you own or rent in there? If you owned, did you have any trouble selling? I'd love Carlsbad but like I said it might be a little too far for him. And public trans is possible for me but not for him since he obviously needs to drive on base. We'll have to judge when we get there and can actually make the drive and see the area. Thanks so much everyone!!

Rancho del oro is a nice area. Make sure you know the HOA fees though some are higher than others. RDO would be a pretty smooth commute for your husband. If you really want to buy you could always rent it when you leave.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbella View Post
That's our optimal range right there, $325-$350k, we could go up to $365k if we found something worth it. Would a condo in Carlsbad really be better for resale than a single family in a nicer part of Oceanside?
I don't know that is so hard to say. But for 365k you guys can find something nice here.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:24 PM

250 posts, read 908,617 times
We rented a condo, it was way back in 2000 so years ago but we've been back in the area since 2002-2004 and then 2005-2008 (just was stationed down at pt loma and coronado for those times. I REALLY enjoyed his time there and I liked the area (we didn't have kids yet) and I felt safe living alone when he deployed too. Commute north on 5 will be a breeze, it will be against traffic both to and from work for him even if he does have to go way to the north end of pendleton. Rancho del oro is a nice area and probably an easy rental if you cannot sell when you need to. Overall I loved that area. If it was up to me I'd be headed back after our tour here (DC). We'll see what the navy wants though. Best of luck to you!! Its going to be easier once you get into town to see what the drive is like and what areas fit you best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego