Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times

Advertisements

My zip is 92104, and that's not ESD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
My zip is 92104, and that's not ESD.
There is a section of 92104 sometimes known as Cherokee Point that is inside the traditional boundary of East SD (the 805 freeway, or prior to that, 35th street). To most people that neighborhood is considered Eastside SD or City Heights and not part of North Park.

East San Diego was once an independent city which was annexed into San Diego in the 20's, the boundary between the cities was, appropriately, Boundary Street. San Diego does not officially recognize an East San Diego anymore, however the western boundary of City Heights is the 805 fwy, which places portions of 92104 within City Heights.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm on Wilson between 35th & 36th Streets, so I guess I'm actually in City Heights, even though everyone says that it's North Park. But it's pretty quiet. I'd like to move, but not because of the neighborhood, because of the parking. I don't mind parking on the street, but I get sick and tired of driving around looking for a place to park when I come home. And it can be during the day or at night.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Wilson, south of ECB is City Heights, north of ECB is Normal Heights. San Diego considers the area north of ECB but south of Adams to be "Corridor", and the neighborhod south of University to be "Cherokee Heights". The realtors are probably helping the boundaries of North Park to creep eastward as no one wants to say they live in City Heights :-(

805 fwy was built in the mid-70's, prior to that the border of East San Diego was 35th street.

My wife's family lived on 36th after the dogleg just north of ECB, we always considered it to be City Heights. The difference from a street level is that south of ECB, you get a lot more apartments, north of ECB you still have a lot of single family homes. South of University actually is pretty OK once you get to the very southern end, we looked at some houses in that area but ultimately decided to move farther east.

That area is very congested because the Huffman Hovels never had enough parking, one space per unit usually.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM

I don't think I'm in Normal Heights. I see Normal Heights signs on the Pep Boys side, but I'm on the other side of ECB, behind the grocery store. I'm between ECB and Orange. That's why I said the NP/CH border. My street is very busy and congested due to the grocery store and apartments/condos not having enough parking, and those of us who have no parking. I don't know if I'd know what to do if I could park without a problem.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Wilson, south of ECB is City Heights, north of ECB is Normal Heights. San Diego considers the area north of ECB but south of Adams to be "Corridor", and the neighborhod south of University to be "Cherokee Heights". The realtors are probably helping the boundaries of North Park to creep eastward as no one wants to say they live in City Heights :-(
Sassberto meant to say north of University and south of ECB is Corridor per the City of San Diego.

Also, sometimes city planners and politicians will refer to the entire stretch of San Diego between University and ECB from Park Boulevard to 54th Street as "the Corridor," not really to denote a neighborhood, but as a sort of linear stretch of housing and transportation related, Huffman blighted areas that have very similar issues.

I think "Corridor" may have gotten its name simply because all of the other parts of that corridor had names which could be assigned to them except for the section directly south of Normal Heights. Being left nameless wasn't an option so the area was named "Corridor" by default.

South of University Avenue is the Cherokee Point section of City Heights. If any section of what is now known as City Heights could lose the CH name it is probably the Cherokee Point area. It has more intact single family housing than many other parts of City Heights, and now that it's separated from the rest of City Heights proper by a freeway, it really could develop its own identity, and legitimately so, not just because of realtor puffery.

It's called the "Point" because it funnels down to a point where the 805 and 15 cross.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM

88 posts, read 226,286 times
Interesting article. I was in North Park last Saturday around 6 PM and it was rather deserted. I parked at University and 30th and walked up and down University and a bit down some of the side streets looking for the action. The restaurants I passed were empty, many of the stores where closed, and it mostly appeared to be thrift, furniture, and food markets on the strip. I didn't find anything too interesting. Actually, there was a wine bar on University that I would have tried out but that was empty as well. Am I missing something? Isn't University and 30th the epicenter of the neighborhood? Was I out there too early in the evening? Perhaps the night life had not kicked off yet? What specific areas would you (anyone) suggest for exploring the night life options in North Park?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:08 PM

What kind of nightlife are you looking for? There are bars and restaurants, but they're in different sections of North Park. If you REALLY want nightlife, just stand around on ECB for a while......

Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 PM

88 posts, read 226,286 times
Hmmm....well I guess I'm not really sure. I went there with nothing in particular in mind...just wanted to explore the neighborhood to see if anything appealed to me. I'm not much of a bar person but wouldn't mind a sophisticated lounge type atmosphere...with a mellow (as opposed to dance) vibe. Jazz would be nice. The other thing I am on the hunt for is a nice restaurant (type of food not important). I guess I'm just wondering which streets I should walk down to sample what the area has to offer.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 PM

I think you belong in the Gaslamp. North Park has a lot of bars and dive bars. What type of restaurant do you want? What do you call a "nice" restaurant. If you drive up ECB into City Heights, you'll have your choice of lots of ethnic restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego