Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Return to Dwight and Nile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Animated gif:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../21/Psa182.gif

(Fair use photo from Wikipedia Commons)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/W780925-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,348 times
Very intense. We had been transferred to AZ for 18 months and were not living in SD area in Sept of 78, so I don't have the strong memories that residents do but I do remember it.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Yes, I remember it very well. I had just lived here about a year, the stories are horrible, don't want to get too graphic, but it was very bad. San Diego was still a pretty small place back in 1978.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
I was 8 yrs old and I remember reading about it in the paper (the evening Tribune that same day, if I'm not mistaken). The plane's wing in flames is sadly an iconic San Diego image. A real tragedy.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Sorry to bump this, but I just wanted to ask...

In the area where the crash occurred in North Park, are there any remnants of the crash left? Or have they all been developed over? Is there a memorial or anything of that sort? Didn't seem like it when I looked on Google Street View.

I have an odd fascination with disaster sites and I'm just curious. I'm swear, I'm not that much of a weirdo.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post

In the area where the crash occurred in North Park, are there any remnants of the crash left? Or have they all been developed over? Is there a memorial or anything of that sort? Didn't seem like it when I looked on Google Street View.

I have an odd fascination with disaster sites and I'm just curious. I'm swear, I'm not that much of a weirdo.
I did the same thing, using both Google Street View and Bing, Bird's Eye View (much higher resolution than Google Maps). I didn't see anything at all that would have indicated a crash. However, one home there, on the northeast corner does look a little out of place, as if it had been built later than the other homes in the neighborhood. You'll have to look for yourself - could have been my imagination.

You can clearly see the exact impact point from a photo on this page:

PSA Flight 182 crash site San Diego

Here is the hi-res view from Bing (ensure Birds Eye View is enabled), rotate so west is up, to match the photo from above:

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Old 11-21-2009, 09:56 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:

I've been that way several time, and it's all been redeveloped over.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:59 PM

64 posts, read 489,311 times
At that time several homes were wiped out. At first, the location was unclear so the police were sent to the wrong area. Then there was looting of the wreckage and deceased passengers. A young man was practicing flying a small plane which struck the passenger plane and they both went down. The small plane crashed at an intersection north of University Ave and the passenger plane hit south of University Avenue hitting homes. This was a horrible disaster.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
The only indication of the crash, other than a small brass plaque affixed to an iron fence at the NW corner of Dwight and Nile, are the architectural differences in the homes that were built to replace the ones destroyed in the crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego