Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,051 times

Advertisements

Yup. You can find good ethnic food anywhere. That's the beauty of this country. People of all ethnic backgrounds settle in various places, and some of them open up restaurants. You may have to do some looking to get authentic ethnic food, but I'll bet you in an major city you can find someone who makes it and does it well.

I'll bet you can't wait to get back to the ocean! You actually will have it nice. You get to enjoy the fall in Denver, and then you're back to a place where you can toss your jacket away for a while. My long winter coat has only taken up space in the closet!

And I plan on enjoying the fireworks. But I hope that they last for more than 15 seconds this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You're right, I've found little enclaves in every city I've lived, on any continent, where great ethnic food (regardless of ethnicity) is to be found. Sometimes such a search does take one off the beaten path, but so be it, at least it exists. I do love NYC pizza & even NEPA has great pizza, imo... depends on what style one prefers... all our tastes differ. My mum is as content with a frozen pizza as she is homemade, because it's not her predilection. Clam chowder or fish stew are different issues... she knows what she likes & no substitutions will suffice.

On another note... back to CA in 3.5 mos!!! Lease is up Oct 1, but I told the SO I'm tossing boxes out of the 3rd fl window on Sept 15 so we can hit the road pronto. Either he'll pick them up & stuff them into/strap them to the car... or I'll drive over them & leave 'em behind.

Happy 4th! Hope you get to see some brilliant fireworks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Generally speaking, I prefer to go to locally owned restaurants, but if you like the food there, you like it. You're the one who is paying, not me, so go and enjoy.

It's not like I'll never eat at a chain. I've eaten at the Palm, and Ruth's Chris -- the Palm is better in my view -- and I got very good food there. Of course, I paid for it. Well, actually, my company paid for it. Client entertainment, dontcha know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I like Filippis. It has been there forever. I don't know much about Italian food though...I find Buca di Beppo to be good food. Alright foodies take aim and fire...l just said i like Buca di Beppo.......Bueller....Bueller?

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Yup. You can find good ethnic food anywhere. That's the beauty of this country. People of all ethnic backgrounds settle in various places, and some of them open up restaurants. You may have to do some looking to get authentic ethnic food, but I'll bet you in an major city you can find someone who makes it and does it well.

I'll bet you can't wait to get back to the ocean! You actually will have it nice. You get to enjoy the fall in Denver, and then you're back to a place where you can toss your jacket away for a while. My long winter coat has only taken up space in the closet!

And I plan on enjoying the fireworks. But I hope that they last for more than 15 seconds this time!

I think the problem is in certain areas you have far more overpriced fake than authentic and then a lot more people who just are used to having the fake food. You probably have to find some hole in the wall that is family owned or started. And then you have to hope the next generations learned and kept it authentic.

There are far too many bad places all over because they cater to the fake people. Asian food is notoriously fake in the US. If you visit countries around the world and try their authentic cuisine, suddenly you realize the stuff they make in the US is geared for the lemming mentality of people who just want to say they ate "this" and "that." If you visit Vietnam, some of their food is nasty. Same goes for the Philippines, Thailand, China, etc.

In the US, you get restaurants that claim they are "Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and more" all in one restaurant. Suddenly you realize why it's not authentic. Most people don't want authentic though. So they make money.

Back to the Italian food. The reality is pizza and italian food, authentic good food, are hard to come by on the west coast. Sometimes the bread just isn't the same. SOmetimes it's just fake Italian places overcharging for crappy pasta they bought at albertsons. If you can see them make their own pasta, it might be good. If it seems more like a tourist trap, it's probably not going to be good.

YOu can pretty much find any food you want anywhere you go in the world. But many times you're more likely to get overpriced fake than good authentic.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Back to the Italian food. The reality is pizza and italian food, authentic good food, are hard to come by on the west coast. Sometimes the bread just isn't the same. SOmetimes it's just fake Italian places overcharging for crappy pasta they bought at albertsons. If you can see them make their own pasta, it might be good. If it seems more like a tourist trap, it's probably not going to be good.
Define authentic Italian food, Pedro.

Because if it's the stuff that they serve in New York, and Philly, I'll tell you something that will make your head steam.

Real Italians -- as in people who live in the country -- say that the stuff served in these cities isn't authentic.

It's okay, they'll tell you. Or it's not bad, they say. But is it the stuff that they cook and eat back in Rome or Milan?

Absolutely not.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:

Because if it's the stuff that they serve in New York, and Philly, I'll tell you something that will make your head steam.

Real Italians -- as in people who live in the country -- say that the stuff served in these cities isn't authentic.

It's okay, they'll tell you. Or it's not bad, they say. But is it the stuff that they cook and eat back in Rome or Milan?

Absolutely not.
There are plenty of Italian restaurants here in the USA that serve authentic Italian food just as good as in Italy. I've been to Rome, Milan, Florence, Venice, etc. many, many, many times and yes I agree the food there is good but there are plenty of places here in the USA that have many restaurants just as good as they do there.

Yeah, I totally agree that the majority of the places are fake places with not so great Italian food but there are plenty of great authentic tasting restaurants at least compared to great restaurants we've eaten at there in Italy.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I don't know of anyone making prosciutto in SD, but thankfully the imported Italian stuff travels well and Mona Lisa has a good selection. you guys know to get the San Daniele variety of prosciutto, right? a few bucks more but oh so worth it.

Lisko's makes (made?) very good mozzarella - but sadly their Rolando location closed down. I don't know if they are still on the Farmers Market circuit.

and Shmoov I may take you up on your kind offer - I couldn't find any San Marzanos this year - where did you get yours?
Lisko doesn't make thier own mozzarella. I'm not sure who their supplier is, but it's probably Gioia. We used to supply thier other artisan cheeses. And yes, they're still at the farmers' markets. I was just chatting with Kosta at Hillcrest yesterday.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
I agree that may of these places are hit or miss, and I've also had good and bad experiences at many of them, including Arrivederci in Hillcrest (which I used to love). Actually, I thought Arrivederci owned Buon Apetito? Can't remember... Anyway, I think the best Italian food in SD, hands down (short of making it yourself, which is what I do), is at Bice on Fourth St in the Gaslamp. However, it is rather expensive and very stuffy/modern. Nothing like Old World family style stuff. So it depends what you want.

I think if your expectations are average, enjoy the nice ambience at any of the Little Italy ones.

Tom

Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Reiterating the Arriverci / Il Postino / Buon Appetito franchise family all now stink, as does Benecotto.
Il Fornagio is ok-good not excellent.
I'd like to try Bice given several favorable reviews by trusted cd posters here.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times
Quote:

Absolutely not.

There are plenty of fake italian restaurants in philly and NY and NJ. Just as there are plenty of fake Caribbean restaurants in south florida and fake mexican restaurants in California and Texas. The difference is the people. If there are a ton of good italian restaurants in NY & Philly and so on and people come to expect that, many of the other places wind up going out of business or only cater to the people who don't care and dont really know what good food tastes like anyway.

But in NY, Philly, & NJ you can get away with having a so so Mexican place and nobody would care or know better. And thats how it goes for most things. In San diego, there are a lot of people who could eat a cardboard box tasting pizza and say it's great. And you have tons of tourists. That's the difference. San Diego in general has very few great restaurants. There are other cities where so so places and bad places go out of business. In Places like San diego they stick around because nobody knows any better.

Most pizza in San diego sucks. It's that simple. Most sandwich shops stink. So even if there is an authentic italian restaurant that goes back a generation or two, people get lazy. People push the limits. If the customers don't force certain things on you, you tend to get away with not being authentic with that or skimming on something else. And then it is expensive.

I honestly think most italian places are overpriced considering they sell some of the cheapest food there is. Pasta is cheap. Crappy watered down gravy is cheap. If you don't make it yourself and buy cans and boxes of it and sell it for 15 bucks a plate, it sure as hell better be worth it. Most of the time it isn't. This is why authentic to me means exceptional food, exceptional service. I enjoy Filippi's in Little Italy. Because at the end of the day, Pasta is cheap as hell to buy and make yourself. If the italian restaurant is serving pasta they bought at Ralphs or Albertsons for 15 bucks a pop, it sure as hell isn't worth it.

So a place like San diego can

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
There are plenty of fake italian restaurants in philly and NY and NJ. Just as there are plenty of fake Caribbean restaurants in south florida and fake mexican restaurants in California and Texas. The difference is the people. If there are a ton of good italian restaurants in NY & Philly and so on and people come to expect that, many of the other places wind up going out of business or only cater to the people who don't care and dont really know what good food tastes like anyway.

But in NY, Philly, & NJ you can get away with having a so so Mexican place and nobody would care or know better. And thats how it goes for most things. In San diego, there are a lot of people who could eat a cardboard box tasting pizza and say it's great. And you have tons of tourists. That's the difference. San Diego in general has very few great restaurants. There are other cities where so so places and bad places go out of business. In Places like San diego they stick around because nobody knows any better.

Most pizza in San diego sucks. It's that simple. Most sandwich shops stink. So even if there is an authentic italian restaurant that goes back a generation or two, people get lazy. People push the limits. If the customers don't force certain things on you, you tend to get away with not being authentic with that or skimming on something else. And then it is expensive.

I honestly think most italian places are overpriced considering they sell some of the cheapest food there is. Pasta is cheap. Crappy watered down gravy is cheap. If you don't make it yourself and buy cans and boxes of it and sell it for 15 bucks a plate, it sure as hell better be worth it. Most of the time it isn't. This is why authentic to me means exceptional food, exceptional service. I enjoy Filippi's in Little Italy. Because at the end of the day, Pasta is cheap as hell to buy and make yourself. If the italian restaurant is serving pasta they bought at Ralphs or Albertsons for 15 bucks a pop, it sure as hell isn't worth it.

So a place like San diego can

Great points. This goes in line with what docmcstuffin mentioned about some traditional style Vietnamese places that were formally good and previously "doing it right" taking short cuts now because they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego