Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
In addition to the registration fee, you have to get it smogged. I also think you may have to pay sales tax on bringing it in from out of state.
The Smog test for a car is about $30. There's no sales or use tax on out-of-state vehicles if you can prove you've owned the vehicle for a certain time period. I think it's 90 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Your car must be pretty old to be paying that little amount.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
My situation was almost identical to yours - young econ major, super frugal, no job lined up out here, except I knew no one here in SD either when I moved. I rolled the dice and moved out here with $10k and it worked out for me but your money will go fast and the unemployment rate is about 5% higher then when I moved here in April 2007.

Personally in today's economic climate I wouldn't come out here with any less than $17,000. You can try it with $13k and I think you'll probably be ok but just know that you are pressing your luck. After deposit, rent, misc. expenses my $10k was wiped out to less $6k in just 2 months. Fortunately I was able to find employment at the time to keep me above water - might not happen in this climate. Good luck. Private message me if you need additional info.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
my rule of thumb is $2k per month, for a minimum of 9 months (statistically that is the average unemployment period). Like you said, the money goes alot faster than you think.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM

233 posts, read 744,172 times
My Advice

Go for it, just don't come with high expectations and come knowing that you may be going back home with shoe strings holding up your pants.

When you come, deflate your application by removing your degree when you apply for retail/restuarant positions. this will give you some income while you look for something more suitable.
Good Luck

Old 12-19-2009, 01:22 AM

202 posts, read 353,001 times
I would say - go for it - as well. It sounds like you are quite committed to your significant other...alas the move. I just moved from CT to UT. I gave my notice at my CT job before I secured a job in UT. Surprisingly, I was able to secure a good job in UT before my job in CT ended...but the SD scenario may be different. I would say that if you're willing to work whatever kind of job it takes to make it (which it sounds like u are) - then go for it...especially if you feel that this other person is your potential future mate. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
In better times I would say your young so go ahead and make the move, but I can't do that in these times. I don't think this is anytime to move any place without a job. It actually can be financial suicide. Please think this move thru before moving across the country. A job in Boston vs no job in SD. Really don't do this to yourself. The fact your not getting any bites on your resume should be a red warning flag. Times are very bad and I'm not sure everyone realizes it. Your $13,000 could be gone very quickly despite how frugal you might be.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 AM

93 posts, read 305,720 times
Go for it. Material possessions are overrated. Life experiences are what matter when it comes down to it. No regrets and put your love for your girl above being scared to move. You'll get by and you will grow as a person because of it.

"Money's just something you throw
off the back of a train
I've got a head full of lightning
And a hat full of rain"

"I put food on the table
And roof overhead
But I'd trade it all tomorrow
For the highway instead"

Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 PM

202 posts, read 353,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacscott77 View Post
Go for it. Material possessions are overrated. Life experiences are what matter when it comes down to it. No regrets and put your love for your girl above being scared to move. You'll get by and you will grow as a person because of it.

"Money's just something you throw
off the back of a train
I've got a head full of lightning
And a hat full of rain"

"I put food on the table
And roof overhead
But I'd trade it all tomorrow
For the highway instead"
I LOVE that song!!! (And true...IMHO)

Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM

376 posts, read 1,867,100 times
i read through all the comments and my stomach dropped as I have wanted to relocate also a few years back. Some people on citydata are ruthless and negative. However, you really have to weigh your options. What seems good and exciting to you today may change next year. Your goals and outlook might change. Personally, if i was in your shoes, i would take an extended trip to SD. You can rent small apts and rooms through craigslist. Go out there, stay for say 6 weeks. Add up how much that would cost you with air, room, transport and see how you feel after a month. In this time, you can look around for jobs, get a "real-non vacation" feel for the place. Cook your own meals, live like a local while spending your days looking for jobs. You might feel differently after six weeks. I wish you luck anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego