Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,075 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm just wondering is it possible to rent a house, room in a house or rent an apt on the beach or near by for a summer? I plan to fly out to Seatle, meet a friend and road trip down the coast and learn how to surf. I'm looking for an exciting summer before looking for a new job. I love to party, be around beautiful girls, be outdoors and as I mentioned I want to learn how to surf. Is a house for the summer in San Diego what I'm looking for? And how much should I expect rent to be?
If I like it, I may decide to stay longer and look for a job, but from what I understand my field of work is not very abundant there. Right now I'm an actuarial student for a life insurance company so if anyone knows about the market in SD for actuaries it would be great.
Here is a little bit about me. Can you guys let me know if this a good plan or am I just making a dumb move on my career that I'll regret. Do employers look down on people who have a hiatus on their resume to have a little fun? I'm 22 years old, graduated college in May '09 and took a job in my field in an undsireable location in upstate NY. I plan on riding out the bad economy till June 2011,which would give me 2 years of experience, take that summer off and then begin the new job search. I always wanted to live in so cal so I think this extended vacation would give me a feel for the lifestyle and time to job hunt. If it fails I'll just move back in with my parents (NYC suburbs) at the end of august and search for jobs in NYC. I'll have over $30,000 saved by then so financially I should be OK. It's got to be worth a shot, right? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Yeah, there's all kind of summer rentals. Google "summer rentals san diego" and you'll find a bunch.

Not Cheap.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
I don't think a 3 to 4 month hiatus in your work history would really be a problem. You could always call it an educational sabbatical. I mean you did say that the purpose was to learn ... learn how to surf!

You will have to buy the equipment: surf board and wetsuit. The water off the west coast is cold!

Obviously you have probably figured out that you will most likely want to be in the Pacific/Mission Beach area.

Don't rent something right on the beach. I think rentals on the beach for a house are like $6000/week in July and August. You don't need to be spending THAT kind of money, but somewhere in the Mission/Pacific Beach or Ocean Beach neighborhood would fit the bill for parties, sun, and girls, and be a lot cheaper, but will still be expensive.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
"You will have to buy the equipment: surf board and wetsuit. The water off the west coast is cold!"
Depending on when you come, you may not have to buy a full suit ($300). From July through September, you could get by with a spring suit or even a thick jacket. Just FYI. The water in summer is usually 68-70, which feels really nice when it's sunny and 80.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,075 times
Thanks guys. I already own a full body wetsuit so all I would need is a surfboard, which I know can be very expensive. So you guys suggest checking out a house in the pacific beach area, slightly inland to be cheaper? I'd be willing to spend maybe 1500 a month for 2 months or a little more if it's that nice. There will be at least 2 but maybe 3 of us so I think we'd prob have to find our own place rather than subletting someones empty rooms.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM

233 posts, read 885,766 times
Definitely on the boardwalk in PB is where you would want to be. There is a youth hostel there so you can meet other travelers from around the world. Also you can rent boards or you can buy a used one at Windansea Surf Shop on Mission Blvd. They have a huge selection of used boards.

You will love it here

Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Youth hostels aren't for long term stays. A lot of them have a two week limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego