Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
SD has a professional baseball team??? Could've fooled me!

I've been to zoos in most major cities all over the country, and have to say my personal favorite is and always will be the Bronx Zoo. Easy to get around, relatively flat, and their conservation program is wonderful. I too don't get the hype about this zoo.

And as far as the weather goes, I love how people claim it's warm all year long. My friends came to visit in January, April and July and couldn't believe how cold it was. In January, we were in coats and sweatpants and definitely not on the beach. The one that came in April was pissed off because she came all the way from the East coast with her kids, and people on a travel board told her it's shorts weather, so she ended up having to go shopping for clothes. In July, we didn't see the sun til around 1pm, thanks to the wonderful marine layer that seems to have lasted from April to July this past season. I had to take my friend to Vegas for a couple of days, because she was looking forward to heat and SD simply did not have it in July. And now, I'm wearing boots and jeans and long sleeves because it is not exactly warm out there. So I guess our definitions of perfect weather differ greatly.

And sure, we have beaches, but try going swimming without a wetsuit. I was freezing even in August and have really not enjoyed the water here at all because it's so damn cold all the time. The seaweed is disgusting and all over the beaches, and that's all you see when you take a picture of the beach. It attracts flies that are all over you and the seaweed. Kinda disgusting if you ask me.

And the restaurants...I won't start a rant, but if you're looking for quality food, I hope you like Mexican cause that's the only thing they got right around here!
Well, temperature comfort is all relative. Ocean temps in the 70's & day temps near 80F [nights in the upper 60's] isn't "freezing" to me! If you don't like San Diego that's OK but please don't exaggerate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
MAK802, I'm guessing you should move on to Hawaii or South Florida if you want it to be warm year round?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,956 times
You appearntly have me confused with someone else. It doesn't take very long to realize SD is an overpriced small town with great weather and not much else to speak of.

Many posters say that same thing in here and you should not assume they are all the same person.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFront View Post
You appearntly have me confused with someone else. It doesn't take very long to realize SD is an overpriced small town with great weather and not much else to speak of.

Many posters say that same thing in here and you should not assume they are all the same person.
Nah, you know what I'm talking about. But keep it coming, it's entertaining how you're able to keep rehashing the same thing over and over again!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I actually can't stand being in areas that are dominated by tourists and transplants (mainly tourists), which makes my list of places that I'll live here very small.

Its funny my wife (born and raised here) complains when we visit my parents back east that people are too chatty there. I see where she is coming from- there are some occassions that I don't want to chat it up with someone- and i don't care for someones story or opinion- and you'll have no problem with that here.
I think that's kind of our west coast culture in general. The Bay Aree and Seattle are the same way, especially Seattle, both that city and SD can seem friendly but not necessarily wanting to become too chummy with you at first. East coast people, can be very loyal friends, but they yack a lot.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Where are you originally from, if you don't mind saying? I never encountered chatty people back east (north Jersey and NYC), but every time I go to the dog park, people seem to want to share their life story here. Quite the opposite in the neighborhood we live in. We live in Hillcrest, hardly a tourist area, and the people are so unfriendly! I've never lived in a place where I don't know my neighbors, but they are just not friendly around here!
Hillcrest, Mission Hills and to some degree University Heights are the exceptions. Those areas don't look or feel much like San Diego. Although that's probably the true and real San Diego. That's where most of our mom and pop businesses are. There are some cool shops and places to eat there and it's the area that contains mostly natives compared to other areas of town. I actually like that area.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
-The way people think(mostly in politics)
-Driving in San Diego
-Public transport is sub-par
-Weather is too bland
-Small town feel
-Too many "green-heads"
-Doesn't feel as diverse as it used to be
-Cost way too much(for what you are getting)
-Sports isn't that big here.
-Lots of tourists which at times can get on you nerves
-A little low key when compared to the Nation's other main cities.
Too image conscious
-It seems the job-housing ratio is way off(at least down here in the S.Bay)
-Bad street system(countywide)
-I'm not a fan of a lot of trees so that's one for me
-Our main attractions are not big main attractions.
-Fires

That's my problems.I might have another 30 more but I don't want to post them because I'm sounding like a baby.LOL
Some things you list just don't make sense to me.

Weather is relative and based on your standard the tropics would be "bland"

How can a city that supports 2 professional sports teams consider that sports isn't big in San Diego? It may not be "big" to you but fans as far away as LA attend Charger games. The Padres ballpark is so easy to access that games are almost always sold out.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
We agree on most of these although I love trees.

As far as the street layout, I think San Diego was built by a band of blind retarded people. No where is this more true than in Mission Valley where I live. There are seriously streets that lead to no where. If you've ever tried navigating through Mission Valley then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And yes definitely too image conscious and rather shallow.

Man this thread is therapy for me.
Yeah
I have spent a lot of time driving in Mission Vly.I work right around the corner.There are lots of streets that go nowhere(culd-a-sac's).Plus streets run a little too close to each other and this includes freeways.A grid system like Los Angeles,PHX,LV,or Miami is the easiest to navigate across a city or area.

I forgot the being shallow part in my list.As there are many things to that list as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
The natives Seriously, if you come from a place like NYC, be prepared for a culture shock. They are so mentally slow around here and I've started to take notes of the answers I've gotten to basic questions. I'm not talking about a slower pace of life, but their mental capacity. I refer to these as San Diegoisms. You just can't believe people could be that dense, but they are. Nothing surprises me anymore. And sarcasm? Forget about it. They don't get it here. You'll feel like you're living in the Twilight Zone. My friends blame it on the sun, saying their brains have been fried, and at this point, that theory just might be true.
This is so funny that you say this. After living in Florida for years, coming to San Diego was like being in the middle of a Mensa convention by comparison.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
-Sports isn't that big here.
Funny that you say that, too. One of my few annoyances with San Diego is how many people seem to get into that damn football team. Perhaps it's because I live in close vicinity to the stadium, but I just prefer no sport influence whatsoever, personally.

Might I mention this is a very small annoyance, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego