Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,909,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Trying watching a local CBS affiliate that constantly aired their tagline "The Best Place for News in the Best Place on Earth", that "America's Finest City" crap doesn't seem so bad in comparison.
OMG are you serious? I don't watch TV news so I wouldn't really know...but do/did they seriously say that? Crap like that is just ASKING for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
OMG are you serious? I don't watch TV news so I wouldn't really know...but do/did they seriously say that? Crap like that is just ASKING for it!
haha, yes that was the tagline for KPIX News in the Bay Area when I was in high school. And the local anchor made it worse at the end of the newcast or weather report and would look at the other anchors and ask "don't you just love living here?" No smug in SD could ever match that imo, ha.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,751,442 times
SD is simply over rated. It's interesting that a couple of people posted regarding how we lack a grid street system layout, this is true throughout the County. It really does annoy me that SD lacks a "normal" street layout in many parts of the city. Of course the older sections of SD is grid, Chula Vista and El Cajon is grid, but La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley, many parts of North County streets go all over the place, it's very easy to get lost in say, Carlsbad? Most of the new parts of Carlsbad feels like your driving to the middle of nowhere.

I am not one of those San Diegan's that think this place is the best place on earth, because I know it's not, far from it. Yes it's a nice place to live, but some people want more than just a nice home with great weather, like "CULTURE", and SD has zero of it. We try real hard to impress outsiders with our little attractions that don't mean jack unless you are a kid. We don't have much diversity of people, and it's like all the minorities where dump off in the South Bay/Inner San Diego and seems like they are all banned from entering the rest of San Diego County, head North or to East County, and the diversity drops of in huge numbers. One city is an exception, El Cajon.

Asians particularly reside mostly in the Mira Mesa, Kearny Mesa neighborhoods, once you leave the area, they suddenly disappear from existence.

SD is extremely segregated regardless of what others might say. Yes the local casual dining is terrible, I really don't understand it, you would think for such a nice place we would have great food in all area's, this is not the case, sure we have some good places, but we don't have enough of them. The Italian food sucks, besides a few good ones, the Mexican food sucks, besides a few good ones, not a whole lot of burger joints, and the ones that are good, are only like 2 of them which are both located in North Park- Crazy Burger/Western Steak Burger Man I love that place!!

Lot's of people driving new $100,000 BMW's (7 Series) in middle class neighborhoods, wonder how they make a great living in such a crappy job market like SD. Lot's of rich foreigners from the Middle East, and Russia, or at least they try to look high class those guys are the worst self-worshiping rudest egomaniacs I have ever met, very materialistic more so than Americans, and not to mention they are all chain smokers.

Last edited by sdlife619; 11-24-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 AM

231 posts, read 638,495 times
Wow, you need to move ASAP. I would really be depressed living with such a negative attitude.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,781,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, I hate to say it, but probably 80% of the things people "hate" about wherever they live at the moment seem to be the same complaints anywhere you go, especially the ubiquitous complaints like "traffic sucks in _______" and, my personal favorite, "people in _____ aren't nice/friendly/neighborly/caring."

I'm not saying the observations aren't valid, I just find it interesting. Personally I think comparing places is more effective than just talking about the "good" and the "bad" of one specific place.
Okay thanks I still think Traffic is bad here, of course depending on where your from if you are coming from S. Florida or LA it may be on par. I don't want to live in LA so why compare it. Also, If you work from home you may have a different perspective on traffic as well.

I would say the big issue is the lack of a true grid system like much of the developed cities back east have. If I could avoid the 5 trust me I would- same with the 78.

I think many "touristy" cities have traffic issues, but you compound the fact that we a lot transplants, we border a foreign country the local laws and lay of the land can be confusing. Add in our grid to nowhere and its a perfect storm for the issue i brought up.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

16,573 posts, read 27,289,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
SD is simply over rated. It's interesting that a couple of people posted regarding how we lack a grid street system layout, this is true throughout the County. It really does annoy me that SD lacks a "normal" street layout in many parts of the city. Of course the older sections of SD is grid, Chula Vista and El Cajon is grid, but La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley, many parts of North County streets go all over the place, it's very easy to get lost in say, Carlsbad? Most of the new parts of Carlsbad feels like your driving to the middle of nowhere.

I am not one of those San Diegan's that think this place is the best place on earth, because I know it's not, far from it. Yes it's a nice place to live, but some people want more than just a nice home with great weather, like "CULTURE", and SD has zero of it. We try real hard to impress outsiders with our little attractions that don't mean jack unless you are a kid. We don't have much diversity of people, and it's like all the minorities where dump off in the South Bay/Inner San Diego and seems like they are all banned from entering the rest of San Diego County, head North or to East County, and the diversity drops of in huge numbers. One city is an exception, El Cajon.

Asians particularly reside mostly in the Mira Mesa, Kearny Mesa neighborhoods, once you leave the area, they suddenly disappear from existence.

SD is extremely segregated regardless of what others might say. Yes the local casual dining is terrible, I really don't understand it, you would think for such a nice place we would have great food in all area's, this is not the case, sure we have some good places, but we don't have enough of them. The Italian food sucks, besides a few good ones, the Mexican food sucks, besides a few good ones, not a whole lot of burger joints, and the ones that are good, are only like 2 of them which are both located in North Park- Crazy Burger/Western Steak Burger Man I love that place!!

Lot's of people driving new $100,000 BMW's (7 Series) in middle class neighborhoods, wonder how they make a great living in such a crappy job market like SD. Lot's of rich foreigners from the Middle East, and Russia, or at least they try to look high class those guys are the worst self-worshiping rudest egomaniacs I have ever met, very materialistic more so than Americans, and not to mention they are all chain smokers.
Man you speak the truth! I'd have to disagree on the Mexican food part though, I think SD beats most places IMO on that.

There's one more thing about SD people I don't like. I can't believe I forgot this because it's the one personality trait I have zero tolerance for, passive aggressiveness. That's like an epidemic here and that's perhaps the main thing I don't like about San Diegans.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,297,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Or for that matter, LA has it's own beaches and foothills and real mountains that are actually closer. No mountains in in Southern Ca. can compete with the San Gabriels.

Isn't there like a 40 mile long trail that goes from Sante Fe Dam to the beach?
Yeah, it just sucks that the mountains seem to be floating on a yellow-brown haze because the smog is so bad.

Let's face it. LA sucks.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM

16,573 posts, read 27,289,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yeah, it just sucks that the mountains seem to be floating on a yellow-brown haze because the smog is so bad.

Let's face it. LA sucks.
I'm saying LA is great by any means, in fact there was a thread around here where I hinted at hte opposite. I'm just saying they have better mountains. There's no haze in the mountains, just down in LA.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM

91 posts, read 415,932 times
I'm from the Northeast, and I like it here. For most of the complaints I've heard about SD, I can think of an exact counterpart in New England. Bad streets in SD? Add a freeze-thaw cycle and some cold patch asphalt, then consult your mechanic. The ocean is freezing? Try swimming off the coast of Maine. Neighborhoods segregated by race? Let me tell you about Boston in the 1980s. High taxes and lack of ethnic diversity? Welcome to the Boston suburbs.
That said, I have two complaints:
1) "Securing cargo in a vehicle" is a foreign idea here. Witness the 50 gallons of white paint on the 163, or the box of nails that had to be swept up yesterday. One day I was caught in a traffic break to remove a sofa that was sitting across the middle lane of the 94.
2) There seem to be a number of people walking (driving, biking...) around in a fog. They don't realize how parking a cart in the middle of the supermarket aisle or stopping their moving van in a dead-end alley might create a problem. But this happens in Boston, too, chiefly among college students.
Overall, I'm very satisfied here.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,465,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
It's not a "city" like NYC, LA, Chicago, or SF. It is more comparable in size/cultural activities to Denver, Portland. That isn't necessarily a negative, but it definitely isn't a "major" city despite its population- a lot of that population is far removed from downtown.

In looking at what the government calls MSAs (metropolitan statistical areas), San Diego's is comparable in size to Denver and Portland's (3.1 million versus 2.4 million and 2.7 million, respectively, culled from c-d and other sources).

But San Diego BY ITSELF is quite a bit larger than either Portland or Denver. San Diego within its city boundaries is, according to c-d, at 1,279,329 people, whereas Portland is at 557,706 and Denver is at 598,707.

Even San Diego County is just about 3 million people, again, BY ITSELF.

The thing is that, were SD in any other state but California and MAYBE a couple of others, it would be THE major city there, given its population.
Here, it has big bad ol' LA with which it is compared, much to its chagrin, I would imagine.

I am not saying that either place is necessarily worse than the other, but in the minds of some SD definitely suffers when compared with LA.

With regard to the quoted poster, have NO idea what a "major" city is.

I would love to know the definition of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego