Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times

Advertisements

Im looking to move to Poway soon. Not sure if it's a good move or not. Anyone have any pro's or con's about it?

Thanks
Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,564 times
I grew up in Poway, I hate it there! But I'm also an urbanite, so I'm not too keen on tract housing developments and relying on my car for everything in life.

Pro's:
Very safe
Has much more sun than the coastal areas
Good schools (relatively of course, this is CA)
Good family environment
People care about the community

Con's:
Extremely conservative for the most part
Intolerant, not very diverse (very apple pie white american types, lots of homophobes, lots of religious people)
Midwestern vibe
LOTS, and I mean LOTS of hardcore drug use at the Middle Schools/High Schools - trust me, I went there
You can't walk anywhere, the car is the only means of transportation
Lack of good restaurants or bars (in fact, are there any real bars/clubs in Poway?), just chains and strip malls galore
It's basically as bland suburbia as it comes
You're 17 miles away from the cool areas of San Diego like downtown, the beaches etc, so expect to drive to get to those places, it can take a while to

I recommend a more central area in the city.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry21 View Post
Im looking to move to Poway soon. Not sure if it's a good move or not. Anyone have any pro's or con's about it?

Thanks
Jerry
Where do you live now?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,627 times
I lived in Poway and loved it. I was a stay at home mom raising my kids. It was a great environment for that and my kids graduated from the wonderful Poway schools. It is pretty and nice. Now that I don't have kids I have chosen to live down in the city where I am closer to the amenities of the city. I am happy as a clam here; however when I visit my son in Poway and see how beautifully kept up all the homes in his neighborhood are, I do feel a pang. I live in an older neighborhood with many nice and friendly folks but upkeep is hit and miss. There are a lot of completely neglected houses/yards in my current neighborhood. Oh well, where I am now I can easily pop right over to the kinds of arts and culture events that appeal to me. That's my trade off. There are well kept up neighborhoods in the city too, just not in my price range.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
There is very little negative to say about Poway if you have children, if you don't have children it's probably not a place you'd want to live. Safe, quiet, somewhat removed from San Diego in general - a place most people move to for schools and little else.

Poway ranges from very upscale (luxury tracts, ranchettes, mansions, acreage) to very blue-collar (unkept homes and yards). Those two sides are geographically and socially separate from each other.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,523 times
Quote:
LOTS, and I mean LOTS of hardcore drug use at the Middle Schools/High Schools - trust me, I went there
If this is true, I can't help but wonder, are there any AT ALL middle/high schools in the county where hardcore drug use isn't a problem?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
If this is true, I can't help but wonder, are there any AT ALL middle/high schools in the county without hardcore drug use?
My high school (at one time #15/100 in the country) had plenty of hardcore drug use. Heroin in particular has made a big comeback on Long Island, you would rarely see that in CA. It seems endemic to affluent areas everywhere.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My high school (at one time #15/100 in the country) had plenty of hardcore drug use. Heroin in particular has made a big comeback on Long Island, you would rarely see that in CA. It seems endemic to affluent areas everywhere.
Yeah. I went to another "high performing" magnet high school in South Florida that had plenty--and I mean plenty--of drug use. I'll never forget one time a kid passed out in my German class from apparently what was later found out to be a cocaine overdose.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 AM

3,390 posts, read 2,799,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There is very little negative to say about Poway if you have children, if you don't have children it's probably not a place you'd want to live. Safe, quiet, somewhat removed from San Diego in general - a place most people move to for schools and little else.

Poway ranges from very upscale (luxury tracts, ranchettes, mansions, acreage) to very blue-collar (unkept homes and yards). Those two sides are geographically and socially separate from each other.
This is right on.

I think its a great place to live for most people, but I would really recommend Poway to folks moving out here from Middle America. Your a small drive away from San Diego life. Also, Poway seems to be the one of the few places in San Diego that has every level of the socioeconomic chain.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,824 times
One of the richest areas in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego