Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 AM

150 posts, read 127,360 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the San Diego forum for a couple of days and noticed many posters complaining about the cost of living vs.wages issue in the workplace.

Is this true about San Diego? Please, discuss this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 PM

I wanted to thank everyone out there for their WONDERFUL responses.

You have really helped me learn alot about San Diego wages.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post

Typically you might want to wait a little more than 14 hours for your thread to be open before posting a snippy response about people not answering your question.

Plus, you're question is very vague. Yes, the cost of living in San Diego is high. Especially when it comes to home prices, pretty much all of CA in general is an expensive place to live. It's not really subjective so much as a fact--San Diego is expensive. There's not much to "discuss," and even so, there have been probably a hundred threads here on "how expensive is San Diego?" and similar questions. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

I don't know what else to say...

Old 11-28-2009, 03:31 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:

It's a holiday weekend and most of us have better things to do.

Better luck next time.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Typically you might want to wait a little more than 14 hours for your thread to be open before posting a snippy response about people not answering your question.

Plus, you're question is very vague. Yes, the cost of living in San Diego is high. Especially when it comes to home prices, pretty much all of CA in general is an expensive place to live. It's not really subjective so much as a fact--San Diego is expensive. There's not much to "discuss," and even so, there have been probably a hundred threads here on "how expensive is San Diego?" and similar questions. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

I don't know what else to say...
First, when you post a question on a FORUM, you expect atleast ONE reply within 14 hours.

Second, my question was not vague. I asked "is the cost of living expensive when compared to wage opportunities in San Diego".

Third, there is stuff to discuss because I want to learn how from others experiences that live or moved to the area.

Last edited by BXNYC; 11-28-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 03:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
My wife and I were considering moving, I called the various unions I would be working thru.
Here in LA county the union has negotiated the highest wage package for carpenters thru the state. We make a dollar or two more than San Francisco now, who used to pay the most in CA. Sacramento and Reno pay a lot less. San Diego has rejoined the LA county as the 12 southern counties and pay is close to that of LA's. This is not complete as there is different insurance, retirement and vacation packages.
Locals per hour
12 southern : $37.35 - I believe San Diego earns 20% less
San Fran : $36.
Sacramento : $25.
Reno : $26.

When I asked the Sacramento and Reno locals about the lesser pay they referred to the lower cost of living. I asked them if they knew property was the same price there as LA county. If anything cars and food cost less in CA than other states. Utilities and auto insurance cost a bit more.
The biggest cost we encounter is housing. The biggest current obstacle is getting work.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM

^ Thanks for your response. You are the first of three that answered my question and added to the discussion.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
First, when you post a question on a FORUM, you expect atleast ONE reply within 14 hours.

Second, my question was not vague. I asked "is the cost of living expensive when compared to wage opportunities in San Diego".

Third, there is stuff to discuss because I want to learn how from others experiences that lvie or moved to the area.
The question *is* vague considering the amount of similar if not exactly the same questions that come onto this forum day after day. Search! Seriously, if you do an advanced search under "San Diego" and type "cost of living" you'll find a plethora. There *is* "stuff" to discuss, and it has been discussed.

I was just trying to shed some light on why you probably didn't get any answers. Because most people probably saw your question, groaned "this again" and went on their way.

Nice attitude...

Old 11-28-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
The question *is* vague considering the amount of similar if not exactly the same questions that come onto this forum day after day. Search! Seriously, if you do an advanced search under "San Diego" and type "cost of living" you'll find a plethora. There *is* "stuff" to discuss, and it has been discussed.

I was just trying to shed some light on why you probably didn't get any answers. Because most people probably saw your question, groaned "this again" and went on their way.

Nice attitude...
The question IS NOT vague. Do you have reading comprehension skills? They must not teach it in the California school systems.

I have "searched" and NOTHING came up that talks about this topic. People sometimes complain about the cost of living to wages, but don't explain why with details. Also, they bring it up in a thread that is off topic.

Yeah, you have a real nice attitude yourself. If you don't like my question then go to another thread. What is the purpose of being on this forum if you complain about answering questions?

Last edited by BXNYC; 11-28-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The question IS NOT vague. Do you have reading comprehension skills? They must not teach it in the California school systems.

I have "searched" and NOTHING came up that talks about this topic. People sometimes complain about the cost of living to wages, buty don't say why. Also, they bring it up in a thread that is off topic.

Yeah, you have a real nice attitude yourself. If you don't like my question then go to another thread. What is the purpose of being on this forum if you complain about answering questions?
Wow... okay then. Personal attacks always make someone wish to help you.

Anyhow, I don't feel like fueling this apparent argument that it seems you're trying to spark, so I'll be stepping away from this thread after this. However, I did find some previous threads that are on the topic that you seem to be asking.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...nt-family.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...expensive.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...those-who.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...1426-info.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...i-make-sd.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...t-live-sd.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html

They might not all be completely talking about cost of living, but if you skim them I am sure you'll find a good deal of relevant information.

And...just a word of advice before I go...having a poor attitude and being impolite to other posters isn't going to get you far on here. If you continue with personal attacks, you're probably just going to get banned.

PS - I didn't go to school in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego