Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,704 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 and is looking for a change. My husband and I have a clothing line that we've been promoting for about 8 years in Chicago and we own a hair salon where we do natural hair. But here its hard to make a name for yourself, especially when the seasons change. People get depressed and its too cold to come out and beautify yourself. So we feel that San Diego would be a better market for our clothes and hair business. Plus we have 3 children so we would be looking for an area where there would be great schools and a good neighborhood for us to raise our children. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM

181 posts, read 465,944 times
You really need to give us some more information... do you have a decent savings to keep you comfortable until you find work, etc? How much can you spend per month on a home or rent? how many bedrooms do you NEED? LA would be a better market for hair/clothes, I am a cosmetologist myself and interested in fashion design. San Diego does have a lot of boutiques etc, but you would also have to afford that space as well. I am from MN and for our cosmetology license it was 1550hrs for school, here it is 100 hours more, so you would probably have to go back to school. I also heard from the salon I go to (ARCS, which is a Robert Cromeans Salon) that out of state license do not have reciprocity here, so you may have to start over here. Check the California Cosmetology Licensing Bureau for more information on that.. Also remember, A store/salon is considerably more for rent here than the Midwest. I know Chicago is definatley more expensive that Minneapolis/St. Paul, but make sure you have this ALL planned out before you get here. Jobs are harder to come buy, and marketing for your salon/store is more important than anything. The economy isn't the best to move in right now, but that isn't saying it can't be done.

As far as school's go, are you planning on public schools? The Midwest has a better public school system that California, here if you are looking for a GOOD school, that means private school... That also means... more money.

Please give us more information, and also what other things are important to you as far as where you want to live? Do you need to be by the beach? own your own home? Will you want to work downtown? etc.

Have you visited San Diego before? I would suggest doing that before locking yourself into a commitment. My husband and I have been here for 9 months, and we love it so far, but you have more at stake with moving your kids and business across the country... Good Luck. Hope to hear from you soon

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
... The Midwest has a better public school system that California, here if you are looking for a GOOD school, that means private school... That also means... more money...
There are a few good public schools here, but it takes some searching to find them. Poway School District is generally highly regarded. I don't know if they have any schools to be avoided.

Many San Diego Unified schools aren't good, but there are some that are good (I couldn't tell you which ones but others here may be able to tell you).

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
There are a few good public schools here, but it takes some searching to find them. Poway School District is generally highly regarded. I don't know if they have any schools to be avoided.

Many San Diego Unified schools aren't good, but there are some that are good (I couldn't tell you which ones but others here may be able to tell you).
A blanket statement that in California "good schools means private school" just isn't the case. There are excellent public schools in San Diego, namely Poway and also San Dieguito Union. They do an excellent job of preparing kids for the future and send upwards of 95 percent of seniors onto four-year universities.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM

181 posts, read 465,944 times
Not just talking about high schools. Children need to learn good fundamentals starting with K-6 schools... I am assuming with the type of business they are getting into out here, it will be a long shot until it becomes profitable. Will they hbe able to afford Poway?? I worked in sales for beauty salons for 3 years with one of the best distributors in the country. Not everyone can have a high end salon like Arcs, founded my Robert Cromeans. Not saying they can't do it at all. But trust me, even Paul Mitchell (I've met John Paul Dejoria he was homeless when he first started out, now he owns the largest PRIVATE beauty company in the world.) It is kinda like trying to be a celebrity... it is one in a million. It's the drive you put into it. Another salon in San Diego, is like another taco shop. You really have to put yourself out there to succeed, that will take years, not months. Anyway, if they can give more information, we could give them more advice. Rent vs. Buy, Savings etc. How many bedrooms? Have they ever visited San Diego, or is this a blind move? How old their children are? A lot factor's in here.

NOT trying to say San Diego is complete crap for schools. But that is something they need to hear now, so they know how much digging they will have to do, to find a decent school, and hopefully they can afford to live in that area if they find a decent one.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
What type of clothing line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego