Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 AM

315 posts, read 821,097 times

Advertisements

Ok so im originally from NJ, i got tired of the cold weather... so i moved to Panama for a year.... A year later i am tired and ready to move out of panama... its a little boring, its hard to have real friends here because even though i speak basic spanish, i have no clue what people are saying when they are in a group..

Basically its no fun being lost when u hang out in a group... Anyway ive been thinking a lot and i might end up moving to San Diego in January (pacific beach)..

Problem is i dont know anyone at all in San Diego, so if anyone is willing to meet up and give me an intro i'll be happy... At least when i moved to Panama I knew ONE guy and from him i met dozens of other people...

Anyway a little about me:

- Im 24yrs old
-- Black/Not married/Own Internet Business..
-- Degree In business from University in NJ
-- Love outdoor stuff, i want to learn how to kayak, dive, para sail, windsurf, etc, basically i work from home so i want to be busy each day with some type of lesson so I have a reason to go out.. if not ill just stay home all day
-- Want somewhere fun & easy to make friends..

I can spend up to $2.5k/month on rent, maybe $3k if its really that nice.. I also make well into 6 figures a year so i think I will be ok with the cost of living in san diego..

What do you guys think? I was going to move to Florida but after visiting miami a few times, the only nice spot was south beach, and it rains too much and the summer is crappy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM

40 posts, read 156,835 times
San Diego would be great for someone like you. I moved out here 5 years ago from Maryland and found the people here to be very friendly, though somewhat transient and flakey (lot of transplants and military, plus cost of living makes it tough for young people to make it). Beats the cliquey type social vibe I found on the east coast any day still. Also, I found San Diego to be very entrepreneurial so you'll probably be able to find some like minded people - startups, small business, etc. If I were you, I'd rent a killer house in North PB and do all the things you listed. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM

69 posts, read 226,586 times
I don't live in SD, but from my trips there it sounds like a good fit (its a great place regardless). I would appreciate it if you could describe your online business a little...I am thinking about doing the same and hearing a success story would be great! I'm originally from nj too and thinking about moving to SD.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I think you should do it. The one downside to your plan is that most newcomers meet their friends through work. For you, that won't happen. You will definitely need to make an effort to join formal community/activity groups as a way of getting out there. Otherwise, as you said, you'll end up spending each day inside the house.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Biggest problem you will have, like was mentioned is meeting people. If you join a gym or get involved in the community it will be a lot easier. Otherwise, sounds like you are a perfect fit for San Diego.

Nita

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM

yeah thats the problem i also had in panama i work from home so its so hard to meet people...

Its kinda depressing sometimes... anyway im hoping maybe i can meet someone from the boards, also im going to join meetup and see whats there..

as for my internet business, basically i have an LLC, and ive been doing this for over 8 years now.. Its internet marketing.... Basically media buys, ppc, adwords, blogs, emails, to drive traffic to offers(weight loss, biz op, etc)

It takes a lot of trial and error but ive been doing it for so long i know the profitable avenues....

Im really afraid ill move to San diego and spend the whole year alone in my house.lol

BTW is North PB better than PB??

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
North PB is quieter and more like La Jolla. South PB seems to be a happening place for the younger crowd. Can get a little roudy.

Even though I'm not from around there, my cousin lived in the area. He also made six figures, always a bachelor, and worked/partied hard. He loved being close to the Gaslamp area, with the ability to walk out to the street and meet up with people. He eventually moved to LA, near USC, for more fun.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
North PB is quieter and more like La Jolla. South PB seems to be a happening place for the younger crowd. Can get a little roudy.

Even though I'm not from around there, my cousin lived in the area. He also made six figures, always a bachelor, and worked/partied hard. He loved being close to the Gaslamp area, with the ability to walk out to the street and meet up with people. He eventually moved to LA, near USC, for more fun.
did he live in North PB or South PB?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Sorry, he actually lived in the DT/gaslamp area. He had friends in PB, and remarked that it had more of a younger crowd.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM

69 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
yeah thats the problem i also had in panama i work from home so its so hard to meet people...

Its kinda depressing sometimes... anyway im hoping maybe i can meet someone from the boards, also im going to join meetup and see whats there..

as for my internet business, basically i have an LLC, and ive been doing this for over 8 years now.. Its internet marketing.... Basically media buys, ppc, adwords, blogs, emails, to drive traffic to offers(weight loss, biz op, etc)

It takes a lot of trial and error but ive been doing it for so long i know the profitable avenues....

Im really afraid ill move to San diego and spend the whole year alone in my house.lol

BTW is North PB better than PB??
FWIW I've moved around alot and have had the same issues--trying to make friends. I've been to New York, Texas, and DC. Ive found that going to meetups etc is usally the best approach--but I've had to go to many different ones repeatedly to make good friends. That said, I have many more long time friends in NJ since I grew up there--so that place is an option for me. Of all the places I've been, I feel like I fit in best in NJ and CA--but CA has nicer weather etc .

Thanks for letting me know about the internet business--It gives me hope that I can be successful that route. Do you market other people's products or do you sell your own? I'm thinking about opening an internet store for my own products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego