Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'll be in San Diego on Sunday. If it's in the 60s, I'll be in my summer clothes!
It was almost 80 degrees in parts of the county for about three hours in the middle of the day today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It was almost 80 degrees in parts of the county for about three hours in the middle of the day today!
80 at my house today!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
It's 34 degrees with expected 1-2 inchs of snow, turning to 1/4 inch freezing rain, then converting back for an additional 1-2 inchs of snow. I'm in Durham, NC.

Not enough to scare me, but enough to blanket our lawn. Will take pictures.

So 60-80 degrees...I can live with that.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 12,712 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly2sddude View Post
Hey just a heads up to those who are thinking of moving out here .....San Diego is a beautiful place with alot to do and a great place to live......but.....When most people think of the city of San Diego they firstly think of the concept of " beautiful tropical weather all year around" .....people from back east assume that its beach weather all year around and that its a tropical paradise even in the middle of winter...the truth is that in the winter here it does get cold ( especially with the wind)...and that the beaches are vitually desserted during the winters....most winter days are like a cool spring day back in northeast being in the mid 60's with the wind chill factor making it seem alot cooler.....I defiently came here under the assumption that I would be laying under the hot sun on the beach on christmas day....most people who are reading this thread from San Diego are proabably laughing at me for being so naieve....it is true that we live in "sunny" south california but that doesnt mean "warmth"..if you like the warmth and that strong sun that gives you that killer tan all year round I strongly suggest living in florida instead...but either is still better than Philly!!!
You are so bold, but not harsh....Iol good info though

Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Hey just a heads up to those who are thinking of moving out here .....San Diego is a beautiful place with alot to do and a great place to live......but.....When most people think of the city of San Diego they firstly think of the concept of " beautiful tropical weather all year around" .....people from back east assume that its beach weather all year around and that its a tropical paradise even in the middle of winter...the truth is that in the winter here it does get cold ( especially with the wind)...and that the beaches are vitually desserted during the winters....most winter days are like a cool spring day back in northeast being in the mid 60's with the wind chill factor making it seem alot cooler.....I defiently came here under the assumption that I would be laying under the hot sun on the beach on christmas day....most people who are reading this thread from San Diego are proabably laughing at me for being so naieve....it is true that we live in "sunny" south california but that doesnt mean "warmth"..if you like the warmth and that strong sun that gives you that killer tan all year round I strongly suggest living in florida instead...but either is still better than Philly!!!
I never knew that so many people thought that SD had a tropical climate. Tropical to me is buggy, excessive humidity, plenty of rain, lush foliage, all of which SD lacks.

I guess that's why people who have never even been here think we have boring weather? I'd be bored, too, if it were 85 degrees everyday. I like seeing the Jacarandas bloom in Spring and using my fireplace in Winter. Seeing snow capped mountains in the distance after a storm is a nice touch, too.

It's like when people from back east/midwest say their summer days are 95 degrees with 95% humidity (Houston is the only place that can live up to that claim on a daily basis), but when you look at the average highs for both NYC and Chicago, average highs are only 84 degrees. Heck, on "average" it's warmer than that in many sections of SD like La Mesa, El Cajon, Poway, etc.

But I shouldn't assume everyone is a weather weenie like me that would know those facts.

As I type this from my backyard deck, the temp gauge says 76 degrees and climbing, not bad for a mid-December day.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM

78 posts, read 193,527 times
haha i would not want Florida weather in San Diego. I think thats disgusting how its humid and hot and ur always sweating and u smell like sun tan lotion nd shyt?? lol i wouldnt be able to relax unless im at the beach, which gets tiring. im happy with what san diego weather is, cold, hot or in between is nice but not constant heat like florida. or if its not hot then thats wen they get their hurricanes nd massive rains which is not cute also hahaha.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM

107 posts, read 338,562 times
No SD. is not tropical. But its very nice and consistent, low humidity weather year round. And its very dry compared to 90% of the U.S. It rains in SD. about 10-15 days a year(no lie). No, cocos do not grow in the palms in Ca. But if you take everything into consideration. SD. and SoCal. in general has the best weather in the U.S.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
True, you won't get 25 inches of snow.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,216 times
Or you could be in Philly right now with gloves, scarf and a nice thick jacket.
Enjoy San Diego....

Quote:

Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
San Diego does have great weather all year round. Not tropical weather.

How many U.S. cities do you get to wear shorts and t-shirts all year round?

This past mid-December weekend, San Diego was in the 70's and sunny, while Phila was in the low 30's during the daytime, and teens during the night.

Yes SD temps can drop to the high 30's / low 40's during winter nights, but it never drops into the freezing range. Typically SD lows are in the upper 40's during mid-winter.

And daytime temps remain mild, even during the winter. We do get some rain during the winter, but we get very little rain during the rest of the year. The vast majority of days in SD are sunny and mild.

Beaches still get some people during the winter, but not a lot. Water temp is in upper 50's, and a bit too cold for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego