Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,348 times

Advertisements

I moved away from San Diego for a job advancement in the late 1990's. Once I was gone I thought I would never be able to afford to move back. Then I started keeping an eye on the housing market. When it fell we made our leap and are happily settled back in San Diego. Before the market fell I figured the best we could do would be a small condo or a manufactured home. Instead we are in a single family home with a nice size yard. Very happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
I moved away from San Diego for a job advancement in the late 1990's. Once I was gone I thought I would never be able to afford to move back. Then I started keeping an eye on the housing market. When it fell we made our leap and are happily settled back in San Diego. Before the market fell I figured the best we could do would be a small condo or a manufactured home. Instead we are in a single family home with a nice size yard. Very happy here.
Short and sweet ! search out a job ( while here on a vacation , the as Bob Barker say's "COME ON DOWN ITS YOUR TURN TO BE IN SAN DIEGO" Ha, Ha, Ha, !

Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
To the OP, you only live life once. You are young and sound adventurous. You have a family that can help you in a time of need. Do it. Do it now.

San Diego would be a great first time experience, since you are not a seasoned traveler. Look for hostels and local traveler groups that can accomidate you and also those with similar interests.

My cousin did what you are doing in Europe. He went without much money but with two other friends to backpack it, starting in the UK. They randomly met up with several different group of travelers. Hung out with people from South Africa, Australian, US, Canada, etc. and shared their experiences/recomendations. In the end, they ended up traveling along with numerous groups of people all through Europe. He is in his 30s and decided to go back to school and now at USC in LA. For the winter holiday, he is going to Patagonia with school friends.

The opposite of him is me, how went to school for two doctoral (science) degrees, and still don't have a job or traveled much.

I'd say do it and enjoy!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:18 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Little off subject but saw all the moms posting to go for it My mom died back in May and in her last weeks she told me a few times "You need to go to California if that's what you really want, I know you can make it if you really want it and that's all you have talked about for the past 3 years so DO IT!" She said to me. So I'm doing it...once the house sells. Sure I could fail, that's life, but I must shoot for it. San Diego is much more appealing to me than L.A. as that used to be my choice. After several LA visits I have decided on SD. Sorry to hijack this thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Little off subject but saw all the moms posting to go for it My mom died back in May and in her last weeks she told me a few times "You need to go to California if that's what you really want, I know you can make it if you really want it and that's all you have talked about for the past 3 years so DO IT!" She said to me. So I'm doing it...once the house sells. Sure I could fail, that's life, but I must shoot for it. San Diego is much more appealing to me than L.A. as that used to be my choice. After several LA visits I have decided on SD. Sorry to hijack this thread
Sounds like your mother passed on some strength before she passed. It's no lie that's the job market is tough right now. You'll never know if you have that "it" factor to land a decent job unless you try, right?

Best of luck to you and keep up posted if and when you get here.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,101 times
Default Go go go

FOR GODS SAKE, GO FOR IT. I am sixty-six years old and I have reached out many times for the places & dreams I yearn for. I still would not hesitate to move somewhere I wanted to go. I moved to Hawaii sixteen years ago and I am now yearning to move back to SD. I don't have much money and probably no chance of getting a job. But I'm not afraid to give it a try. It's not the moves I have made that I regret it's the moves I didn't make.
SO GO FOR IT. OUR LIFE IS FOR THE JOURNEY NOT THE DESTINATION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by well now what View Post
I have 12 grand saved up, and I have a few classes left till I graduate that I can complete online. Location doesn't matter in this way. My life dream has been to live in San Diego. I know the traditional route is to wait it out until I am more established financially, then move. But alas in reality the way it usually pans out is that by the time you are "established" you're too deep into your career/family whatever and stuck geographically. More to the point-I'm unhappy. I'm bored. I'm unfulfilled. I've never been further West than Chicago, as I've never had the money to travel. I need to get out of my bubble, and San Diego is where I want to start. I'm in my mid-twenties and still don't have any interesting stories, or notable experiences. I feel like I'm at a stage where I need to take a chance, because the status quo just isn't working.

I guess I am looking for some kind of a pat on the back here? Somebody to tell me I'm not a massive idiot who will inevitably be calling his parents in 6 months for a 1 way ticket home.

If anything about this post jumps out at you, by all means, tell me what you're thinking. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by well now what View Post
I have 12 grand saved up, and I have a few classes left till I graduate that I can complete online. Location doesn't matter in this way. My life dream has been to live in San Diego. I know the traditional route is to wait it out until I am more established financially, then move. But alas in reality the way it usually pans out is that by the time you are "established" you're too deep into your career/family whatever and stuck geographically. More to the point-I'm unhappy. I'm bored. I'm unfulfilled. I've never been further West than Chicago, as I've never had the money to travel. I need to get out of my bubble, and San Diego is where I want to start. I'm in my mid-twenties and still don't have any interesting stories, or notable experiences. I feel like I'm at a stage where I need to take a chance, because the status quo just isn't working.

I guess I am looking for some kind of a pat on the back here? Somebody to tell me I'm not a massive idiot who will inevitably be calling his parents in 6 months for a 1 way ticket home.

If anything about this post jumps out at you, by all means, tell me what you're thinking. Thank you.
you have really answered your own questions without realizing it. Dreams are what keep us going, but don't jump too fast. I would suggest you take a long vacation after you have all your classes completed and have your degree. Go to San Diego, look around, check out the job market, then see how you really feel? At least you do have some savings, but even that won't last long in So Ca without a job.

You certainly are not a massive idiot, but you probably do not realize how hard it is to get decent jobs in Ca right now or how high the cost of living can be...You may or may not hit it lucky. You say you have always wanted to live in San Diego, but you have never even been there. What is the picture you are getting of the area? Do you think it is sunshine and surfing 24/7 or are you seeing something else?

the secret here is check out the job market and visit before you make the move, oh and make sure you have a dependable car. You will need that.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 01-06-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Well, you have saved up a decent enough amount of money. That will buy you 6 to 9 months to search for a job. The thing that jumps out to me about your post is you haven't said anything about what kind of jobs you will search for when you get here, and if your degree will open up any real career prospects. Also unmentioned, is whether or not you have a car and if it is paid for. You will really need a car so that you can be open to all potential job opportunities, and you need your car to be paid for so the 12k you have saved up will actually last the 6 to 9 months that it may take to get the job you need.
sorry Kettlepot, I don't think the 12 grand will last that long by the time you figure rent, car insurance, food, the cost of job hunting, and just deposits on things like utilities. Maybe 6 months at the most, certainly I don't think 9. I would say more like 3 or 4. If there weren't so many $$ outputs for getting started it might be different. You are right about the car. It is a necessity for job hunting..

Nita

Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
we lasted with only 10,000 saved up. We have been here 9 months now, and had no problems finding work, and even though we used most of our savings, we are able to put back a couple hundred a week now.

My husband nor I have a college degree... so it isn't like we had that to help us out in our job search.

Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I would really like to see you finish up whatever classes you have left before you make a big move...just to ensure that you get it done and have that going for you when you do move, so you are completely ready for the job market here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego