Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,051,314 times

Advertisements

I say go for it but be careful who you associate with. You could end up getting robbed. Checkout the city of el cajon. Its close to S.D. & cheaper to live but the summers are warmer then S.D. Good-luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM

171 posts, read 588,927 times
I really do not recommend living in El Cajon. Almost every city in the county is better than that place. Unless you like pawn shops, liqour stores, check cashing places and unkempt buildings. The speedway can be fun, but thats about it.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,570,553 times
Default San Diego adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
What cruitr said.What are your real reasons to move here if you don't have a job?It always confuses me when people want to move anywhere (esp SD) when they have no work to mirror an income.Plus it sounds like the OP has never been here.That just baffles me even more.

Personally I would never do such a thing but hey,I can't stop people from making (odd) decisions.

My sis lived an adventurous life. She lived all over the world, working all kinds of jobs. She moved to many a country not knowing the language or knowing a soul. Her first move was when she was about 19. In the end she spoke and wrote Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Italian, Russian, German, French etc. People can move without a job. You have to be willing to take the chance. You have to be willing to work at anything. She started out washing floors in a hospital in Germany. She worked as a fashion model in Belgium. She sold real estate on the Spanish Riviera. She taught German and English at a high school in AZ. She has no regrets. Me, I have lived my life very carefully. Always a secure job etc. I have no regrets. There are a million things you can be. It's up to you.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 101,416 times
Make the move. There are always a million reasons to go nowhere. If you're not going to follow your dream when you're young and single, when will you?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by well now what View Post
I have 12 grand saved up, and I have a few classes left till I graduate that I can complete online. Location doesn't matter in this way. My life dream has been to live in San Diego. I know the traditional route is to wait it out until I am more established financially, then move. But alas in reality the way it usually pans out is that by the time you are "established" you're too deep into your career/family whatever and stuck geographically. More to the point-I'm unhappy. I'm bored. I'm unfulfilled. I've never been further West than Chicago, as I've never had the money to travel. I need to get out of my bubble, and San Diego is where I want to start. I'm in my mid-twenties and still don't have any interesting stories, or notable experiences. I feel like I'm at a stage where I need to take a chance, because the status quo just isn't working.

I guess I am looking for some kind of a pat on the back here? Somebody to tell me I'm not a massive idiot who will inevitably be calling his parents in 6 months for a 1 way ticket home.

If anything about this post jumps out at you, by all means, tell me what you're thinking. Thank you.
==============

You have the right idea, to get out on your own and see some new places, but if you are bored and looking for adventure, you should consider moving to any one of the three American cities that foreign travelers rate as "must see" cities:

New York
New Orleans
San Francisco

Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 50,173 times
You know something, my partner and I, we are both nurses and we saved up over $60,000. We are over 30 yrs of age and some people on this forum, our family and friends still don't recommend us to move out to San Diego because it's in California. You know you only have 1 life to live, so live it We visited San Diego about a month ago for the first time and we both fell in love with the city right away. We are planning on moving to San Diego once we find a job Good luck to you and if I were you...go visit San Diego first and if you love it then move there!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM

231 posts, read 640,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flai77 View Post
You know something, my partner and I, we are both nurses and we saved up over $60,000. We are over 30 yrs of age and some people on this forum, our family and friends still don't recommend us to move out to San Diego because it's in California. You know you only have 1 life to live, so live it We visited San Diego about a month ago for the first time and we both fell in love with the city right away. We are planning on moving to San Diego once we find a job Good luck to you and if I were you...go visit San Diego first and if you love it then move there!
Great advice. It's easier for people to be negative than positive, so it's important for oneself to do what the they want!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,514,561 times
As long as people can find a job and then move here, I don't think anyone would complain.

It's the hordes of people that come here and flop around without jobs that are the problem.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM

256 posts, read 737,106 times
I did the same thing many years ago. You go for it! Follow your dream. Something is prompting you to do this. Let us know when you are here and how you are doing.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM

78 posts, read 193,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
I did what the OP did when I was 18, but I am from San Diego and moved to New York. I'd never been there or anything, but I did have a job lined up. It was a good experience for me and sort of catapulted me into being an adult.

I also met my wife there, so you never know what will happen. Like some of the other people said, the worst case scenario is that you blow through your money and have to move back home.

I think every young adult goes into a phase where the place they live has no appeal and want to move somewhere else. I thought San Diego had nothing to offer me and wanted to move across the country to experience it. Now I look forward to the day where I can live in San Diego again.
haha this is like my frends.. after high school they couldnt wait to move out of san diego.. some moved to the bay area and some to Los Angeles. Now they cant wait to come back home to San Diego, and they say they're so happy to be back when they come for the holidays. A LOT of native san diegan young adults just dont appreciate what san diego has to offer until they leave, well its like that for everybody because its the place where they grew up... like a new yorker might miss the chaotic streets of manhattan and all the noise and spectaculars. sooo yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego