Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Honestly, seeking my commission as an officer in the Air Force is looking better and better.

If you have the chance go to into the AF as a commissioned officer, I would definitely recommend that over trying to move. It's definitely a better choice. I wish I had gone in the service. If a recuiter had come to my high school, I would have enlisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolver41 View Post
I either need some real encouragement or a swift slap in the face.

I am 25 and a new graduate from the University of Missouri-Columbia. My degree is in Biochemistry and I am zealously searching for a career in my field. However, my job experience consists of waiting tables and I have zero occupational experience in the scientific field... just 4.5 years of academic lab experience.

I currently live in **** hole Springfield, MO. There is nothing here in my field, and on top of that I have been laid off 11 times in the last year and a half. I even got laid off from a stamp shop... now that's bad. But the good news is, I have been searching staffing agencies like Kelly and Aerotek and I find that there are actually entry-level jobs out there in my field! I find many of these are in San Diego and the area. So I would love to move there and get started in my career. But here's the problem.

I am flat broke and in debt. I have no parents or family, no support, so I'm 100% alone. My bank has given me the green light to take out a loan to move. Should I do this? Or perhaps consider a different science hotspot? I have heard that Seattle, NC, and Cleveland OH are other places but except for NC, there is absolutely nothing listed for anywhere else on the staffing agencies' listings. But SoCal is ripe with entry-level jobs. So should I risk the move or not?
Check Cleveland Clinic. I'm originally from Cleveland- there are two elite empolyers there where the top rung of talent actually want to go to Cleveland for- one is the Cleveland Orchestra the other is the Cleveland Clinic. There is and always has been a slew of opportunities at the clinic.

SD is probably a great place to do exactly what your doing now- waiting around for a break in your profession- except its cost of living isn't very friendly.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Sounds to me like going to Cleveland for an entry level job makes the most sense, that way you can get some experience and money. Then if you want to move to SD in a few years, it will be much easier I think. Although the military might be a good move for you...career, stable employment and income, good experience, and since you don't have any family, the military in alot of ways can become your family. It's certainly something to think about.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolver41 View Post
I either need some real encouragement or a swift slap in the face.

I am 25 and a new graduate from the University of Missouri-Columbia. My degree is in Biochemistry and I am zealously searching for a career in my field. However, my job experience consists of waiting tables and I have zero occupational experience in the scientific field... just 4.5 years of academic lab experience.

I currently live in **** hole Springfield, MO. There is nothing here in my field, and on top of that I have been laid off 11 times in the last year and a half. I even got laid off from a stamp shop... now that's bad. But the good news is, I have been searching staffing agencies like Kelly and Aerotek and I find that there are actually entry-level jobs out there in my field! I find many of these are in San Diego and the area. So I would love to move there and get started in my career. But here's the problem.

I am flat broke and in debt. I have no parents or family, no support, so I'm 100% alone. My bank has given me the green light to take out a loan to move. Should I do this? Or perhaps consider a different science hotspot? I have heard that Seattle, NC, and Cleveland OH are other places but except for NC, there is absolutely nothing listed for anywhere else on the staffing agencies' listings. But SoCal is ripe with entry-level jobs. So should I risk the move or not?
What are the wages of those entry level jobs compared to the cost of living in the area? That's the million dollar question number one. Second question is how many applicants are showing up in job scarce California for those entry level positions? See if you can get that information. Sorry I'm in more northern Ca. so I can't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego