Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarBear06 View Post
...buy "TERRO". It is roughly $2.99. It is a liquid, I believe borax and the box comes with cardboard that you pour the liquid on to. The ants all come running to the cardboard. They will come out in millions when you use this....do nothing to them. Let them all come out and then they will take the bait back to the nest. It may take up to 2 weeks. Be patient THIS WILL WORK! There is NO odor with this liquid.

Good Luck.

THIS...after trying many different things over the years, Terro is the only thing I've found that consistently works. To maximize the number of ants that can carry the stuff back home (to the Queen), I place a max of 2-3 drops together, and place multiple "doses" of those on a small piece of aluminum foil. Just set it up near an existing ant trail, and wait a few days to a week or so. The hard part is to not just kill all the ants crawling around - absolutely do not do that, as they are carrying the Terro back home - hopefully to the Queen.

Also - Terro is just sugar water with some borax mixed in - much less toxic than other ant killing compounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
we've even used Terro liquid outside, and killed huge colonies. Then silicone sealer and perimeter spray to maintain it. The argentine ants are brutal!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Agree about Terro, stuff works great and better than anything I've used. I've just used the liquid traps and they pretty much disappear from inside the house. In the 2 years I've been in my house they've never reappeared anywhere near where I've put a trap.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Shgado... ants are a real problem this year. If Terro doesn't work, try something else. We need to use a different brand every year or so. What works one year doesn't always work the next year.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
My daughter had an ant invasion in her apartment this past weekend & she told me that powdered cinnamon works pretty well.

Ants like to come indoors during a heatwave...usually they are seeking water. When I lived in San Diego, I remember that they loved doing the backstroke in my hot tub...usually right after I had cleaned it & balanced the chemicals.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
This is the first year we haven't had an ant problem. Probably the routine spraying for those dang giant American roaches.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
We haven't had an ant problem for years since we did a major extermination -- until now! They're baaack -- in the walls, under the slab, in the backyard, everywhere. A moving carpet of tiny monsters. Starting over again with the Terro treatment + spraying outside. We usually bag all opened boxes and containers in the pantry, but even so, the ants are all over them, trying to get in. I am so attuned to animal suffering, but my empathy stops at rattles and ants...

Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
They're probably those argentine ants that are taking over the country and live in enormous super colonies.

The only thing that worked for me is to feed them constantly with Terro liquid bait.

This requires you tolerate their massive trails in your house for days if not weeks. Just keep feeding them and eventually the queens will eat the bait and die. The stuff is non-toxic to pets and it works by crystallizing over time inside the ant.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I found a few in the bedroom, so it's time to buy a bottle of Terro.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:11 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
They're probably those argentine ants that are taking over the country and live in enormous super colonies.

The only thing that worked for me is to feed them constantly with Terro liquid bait.

This requires you tolerate their massive trails in your house for days if not weeks. Just keep feeding them and eventually the queens will eat the bait and die. The stuff is non-toxic to pets and it works by crystallizing over time inside the ant.
Precisely. That's what we did 4-5 years ago with the last invasion. All the trails disappeared, at the same time. From one day to the next all the ants were gone. Quite amazing. But it is torture to walk around ant trails until it works. I found an ant on my forehead just a few minutes ago. Arrrrgh!

(I am short on sympathy for fleas and ticks, too...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego