Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times

Advertisements

We just moved from the RTP to SD and have lists some differences;

Many services in restaurants and stores take longer. This is not because of the increased # of people, but more laid back environment. At first, my wife and I were a little irritated when our glasses were not refilled until we asked, but later enjoyed the meals, in a more relaxed environment.

Every frigging service or purchase has some sort of additional fee. I purchased a TV from CostCo and got hit with a $25 waste fee! The SDGE issued a $50 initiation fee to replace the working meter with a new one. The furniture I purchase also had an additional fee that is not part of the sale price. I got nickel-and dimed on all our big purchases to settle in.

Produce and food is very fresh. We are enjoying the new tastes too. Lots of foreign cuisine at an affordable cost compared to LA and NYC prices.

People are very friendly, in a differnet maner. I come from an area known for Southern hospitality, towards people you know and strangers. In SD, people are more bubbly after you meet them for the first time, but ignore strangers. I am assuming this is due to the higher population, but at least SD does not have the big city attitude to everyone.

Most people can drive well here, as in using turn signals and efficiently merging into traffic. BUT, I did notice a substantual # of people who honestly shouldn't be driving a vehicle. People need to stop texting or hold a phone while driving in traffic. Invest in a bluetooth device!

We were worried about traffic, but it wasn't bad since we were told how/when/where to avoid it on city data and friends. In fact, commuting is fast if it is not bumper-to-bumper.

People are more blingy, as in showing off money. Everyone loves brand names here. More BMWs than Hondas.

Weather gets significantly hotter between Sorrento Valley and Poway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
What is RTP????

Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Pretty good observations there overall, kind of how see some things. I know restaurants are encouraged to not serve water unless the customers request it as a way to help conserve water so that may have been the reason although I've been in plenty of restaurants here where they constantly fill it up for you.

Yeah and those fees really **** me off too, I did not know about that stupid e-waste fee until I bought a laptop a few months ago. So ridiculous, a waste fee that is wasted! Welcome to Ca! The land of fees that do nothing.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:32 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What is RTP????
Research Triangle Park, Raleigh NC, the largest high-tech manufacturing hub of the east coast.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Conserving water makes sense, no that you brought it up.We are still looking for internet and cable TV service. So far we are leaning toward Dish Network TV bronze package for $20/mo plus another $5/mo for 2+2 TV's, free install and no initiation fee.We are still looking for this elusive $20/mo Time Warner Road Runner ~3mps service with free initiation and install, but only finding $35/mo for ~7mps RR.Next on the agenda is whether we can keep NC plates (and insurance) for a little longer.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
It can be done. I did it when I moved here from Tucson, and from VA to Tucson. Just keep it all the same until you get ready to change it all over.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Next on the agenda is whether we can keep NC plates (and insurance) for a little longer.
If you live here now, you have 20 days to make the switch, or there are penalties...
California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Out-of-State Vehicle (Nonresident Vehicle)

Old 01-07-2010, 12:25 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to hear transplant experiences, whether good or bad.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Regarding fees....last month on vacation we got gas at a Thrifty in Pacific Beach...did not take credit cards but would take debit cards and charged us 45 cents for using the card.....no big deal for a one time purchase but as a person who rarely carries cash I'd be annoyed if every time I filled up I had to pay 45 cents to use my debit card

Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM

84 posts, read 440,758 times
One of the driving-related things I have noticed is that many people drive just at or below the speed limit on highways, which is nice or annoying depending on what driving mood you are in. What really annoys me though is that there seems to be many drivers who like to sit in the left lane, blocking many a driver who wish to drive fast. Heck in Kentucky, people may not be sophisticated, but they will stay right or get out the left lane for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego