Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:28 PM

104 posts, read 276,721 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating to San Diego April 1st to pursue a career in the biotech industry. I plan on flying out mid-February to secure an apartment (Thursday-Tuesday ~ 6 days), coming back home to give my notice to work, and leaving March 15th to drive out to San Diego. (I'm making an 18-day road-trip out of my drive).

I just wanted your take on whether 6 days in February will be enough time to secure an apartment starting April 1st? Since I will be going sans job, I know it will be difficult to find roommates willing to rent to me; I figure I may have to pay out 3 months in advance to make it worth their while to rent to me.

Any advice also on how to avoid being the victim of a scam with apartment rentals? I've heard there is something called "certified checks" you can write to people that are more secure than personal checks? What kind of information can I expect people/landlords will want from me since I don't have a job? I know a credit check may be necessary, so I'll want it done through a third-party for security measures, correct?

*And excuse my being blunt, but I am not looking for lectures on moving without a job, so please spare me. I have $30k saved, a reliable car I own outright, and good leads on jobs in biotech with 3 years of industry experience (I know other areas of the country are even better than San Diego for biotech, but San Diego is my dream)*

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer regarding apartment hunting!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
Default sounds good to me....

I hope people respond with some good advice. I'm interested in what other people think too!! Good Luck with your move )

Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,706 times
Your biggest problem is that you're trying to find an apartment without a local source of income. Many places would turn you down just because of that. Most apartment complexes want to see proof of income before they let you sign a long-term lease. You might be able to find something month-to-month and then promote the lease to 1-year once you have a job.

When I moved to San Diego, the HR manager of the company I came to work for made all the arrangements, picked a place close to work, and even got some used furniture purchased and delivered; all I had to do was visit the leasing office the day I flew in and sign some papers. Very nice lady. I have no idea how common that kind of treatment is.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Absolutely, this is doable. I moved here in the mid 80s without a job and found an apartment in 5 days. Yes, I was turned down at one place, but I still found an apartment in short order. The trade off you will have to make is to not be horribly picky. If it's decent enough, in 6 days you probably won't find one better. And since this is going to be a rushed business, you'll probably be better off with a month-to-month rental. If you find out you've made a horrible housing mistake, you'll be able leave sooner than if you had a lease.

As for scams, if you are renting in a complex there is little risk of a scam. That complex, with its on-site manager isn't going anywhere.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
San Diego Apartments for Rent - San Diego Apartments Reviews and Ratings
The above is a very helpful website. Most of the reviews are legit, but you'll also sometimes notice some obvious phonies in there. Overall though, a great resource if you're looking for an apartment.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times
Well I think it depends if you stay in just one Megaregion,two tops.Then you can do it in 6days.More than two Megaregions then I would push for more than six days.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treevernal View Post
Hello,

I will be relocating to San Diego April 1st to pursue a career in the biotech industry. I plan on flying out mid-February to secure an apartment (Thursday-Tuesday ~ 6 days), coming back home to give my notice to work, and leaving March 15th to drive out to San Diego. (I'm making an 18-day road-trip out of my drive).

I just wanted your take on whether 6 days in February will be enough time to secure an apartment starting April 1st? Since I will be going sans job, I know it will be difficult to find roommates willing to rent to me; I figure I may have to pay out 3 months in advance to make it worth their while to rent to me.

Any advice also on how to avoid being the victim of a scam with apartment rentals? I've heard there is something called "certified checks" you can write to people that are more secure than personal checks? What kind of information can I expect people/landlords will want from me since I don't have a job? I know a credit check may be necessary, so I'll want it done through a third-party for security measures, correct?

*And excuse my being blunt, but I am not looking for lectures on moving without a job, so please spare me. I have $30k saved, a reliable car I own outright, and good leads on jobs in biotech with 3 years of industry experience (I know other areas of the country are even better than San Diego for biotech, but San Diego is my dream)*

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer regarding apartment hunting!

Dan
Dan, yes, you can find an apartment in 6 days, but finding one without a job may be the trick...

Regardless good luck and remember, when people talk about moving without a job, they are doing it for a purpose so you may want to get the chip off your shoulder.

NIta

Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,409,026 times
I didn't detect a chip on the shoulder. His comments were to show that he had done his homework and read lots of previous threads, and didn't need to have these threads repeated back to him. Plus, he wanted to point out that he was coming well-prepared. 30k and an employable skill set is WELL prepared.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM

104 posts, read 276,721 times
Thank you kettlepot, I certainly do not have a chip on my shoulder and am taken aback that she would think and say that. I appreciate your support and advice; renting in a complex is a good idea.

Thanks for the advice everyone else also! Yes, perhaps a month-to-month lease would be a better bet. I was just kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to move that often and be able to sign a one-year lease right away (changing addresses often is quite annoying, isn't it? LOL). But I'll probably just have to "take what I can get".

I've also thought about renting a room in someone's house as I have seen several of these offers on craigslist. I know many people who have done well with craigslist but others, not so much. I guess scams are more likely this route, even though it will probably be cheaper than a complex.

Thank you too, Snort, for that link! I will definitely check that out.

I am very flexible and open to most places as long as they are clean and safe (I guess that's most people from what I've read!). I do not need to live on the beach or even that close to downtown right away. I would be happy farther inland or farther north (San Marcos/Oceanside?). I figure after a year or so and once I am employed full-time, then I can "upgrade" my living situation and live closer to the coast/downtown if I can afford it.

Once again, thank you so much for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I will keep you updated on my progress

Dan

Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 PM

387 posts, read 2,131,666 times
That would be great if you keep us posted! Many people don't. I don't have anything else to add, but wanted to wish you luck with your apartment search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego