Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

Moving to SD in a couple of weeks. I initially began looking for places near the water (PB/Mission). However, my agent informed me that getting to I-5 from the bay adds about 30min to my commute (to San Ysidro). Since receiving that info I've been looking closer to downtown and the surrounding areas. Just wanted to get some feedback, as I'd still like to be closer to the water. I just don't want to have an hour commute. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,509,172 times
I live in PB and take the 5 to work, except I go north and not South. I'm pretty sure the majority of traffic in PB is headed to Northbound 5, the NB on-ramp is always backed up in the morning but it usually never takes more than 10-15 minutes to get on the freeway. The back up on the SB 5 on- ramp at Mission Bay Dr mainly occurs in the PM from what I can see. So you'd really be doing the opposite commute as most people. 30-minutes to get on I-5 is an exaggeration imo. And there is an alternative, take Ingraham St south down to the eastbound 8 then take the 5 South.

Downtown SD is not the biggest employment center in SD and there is actually not much traffic heading towards that way at all.

So I wouldn't rule out PB/MB at all b/c what your agent told you. There is traffic getting on the freeway but it's not even close to being a 30-minute delay, especially in the direction you are going.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,546,722 times
So you'll be working in San Ysidro? Family or single? What's your housing budget?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I live in PB and take the 5 to work, except I go north and not South. I'm pretty sure the majority of traffic in PB is headed to Northbound 5, the NB on-ramp is always backed up in the morning but it usually never takes more than 10-15 minutes to get on the freeway. The back up on the SB 5 on- ramp at Mission Bay Dr mainly occurs in the PM from what I can see. So you'd really be doing the opposite commute as most people. 30-minutes to get on I-5 is an exaggeration imo. And there is an alternative, take Ingraham St south down to the eastbound 8 then take the 5 South.

Downtown SD is not the biggest employment center in SD and there is actually not much traffic heading towards that way at all.

So I wouldn't rule out PB/MB at all b/c what your agent told you. There is traffic getting on the freeway but it's not even close to being a 30-minute delay, especially in the direction you are going.

The places near the water I've been looking at have been in North Bay and a couple near Mission on the west penninsula. So it looks like Grand or as you said, Ingram or Mission are my options. Either way, that's great news. Thanks. I'd like to be over there as opposed to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
So you'll be working in San Ysidro? Family or single? What's your housing budget?
Single. Initially, I'm trying to stay around $1k/month. I'd like to be out there for a while. Get acclimated. I will be more familiar with the areas, cost of living, etc. If my first palce isn't somewhere I want to be at long-term, I can find a spot that better suits my needs. I just don't want to commit to a place that's $1500+/mo and end up disliking where I'm at. I only have 4 days to find a place. I can't imaging being able to find something spectacular in that time period. However, I've been surprised at the offerings for my initial budget. Who knows?

Last edited by danito; 01-11-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM

What cross streets are you looking near?

Living in Mission Beach along Mission Blvd would be the farthest and hardest to get to from the freeway depending on how far from Grand or West Mission Bay Dr you are, but it still won't add 30-min to your commute.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What cross streets are you looking near?

Living in Mission Beach along Mission Blvd would be the farthest and hardest to get to from the freeway depending on how far from Grand or West Mission Bay Dr you are, but it still won't add 30-min to your commute.

Near Grand in between Mission and Lamont. The places on Mission were anywhere between PB Dr. and El Carmel Pl.

I'll probably check out the places by the water on the days I'm not with the agent. I will be out there tomorrow - Friday. Meeitng with her on Wednesday. So I can actually get a sense of what the commute will be. Pumped that the water is now a possibility again. Serious thanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,546,722 times
PB to San Ysidro will make for a long daily commute. Have you considered IB (Imperial Beach)?

IB ain't as sexy as PB but it's only a temporary location till you find something longer term.

Here's an IB example: Darling Beach Loft Apartment (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/apa/1545815898.html - broken link)
Less than $1k and the beach is right across the street. EZ commute to San Ysidro.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danito View Post
Near Grand in between Mission and Lamont. The places on Mission were anywhere between PB Dr. and El Carmel Pl.

I'll probably check out the places by the water on the days I'm not with the agent. I will be out there tomorrow - Friday. Meeitng with her on Wednesday. So I can actually get a sense of what the commute will be. Pumped that the water is now a possibility again. Serious thanks.
Good area to look, personally I wouldn't live anywhere east of Lamont either.

Mission Beach is cool the only issue I have with it is that parking is very hard to find, the apartments tend to be very small, and access in and out is limited to just Mission Blvd, which is only one lane in each direction. Your commute shouldn't be that bad but during peak tourist season it can pretty congested in MB, mainly on weekends. The closer you are to West Mission Bay Dr the quicker you will get to the freeway as it provides direct and quick access to I-8.

I drive down to San Ysidro to shop at the Outlet mall and it usually takes me about 25-30 minutes from my place off of Ingraham north of Garnett Ave. That is during weekends but I don't think there is actually any traffic heading south on the 5 in the morning. I used to commute Downtown years ago and there was never traffic heading into downtown on the 5. And I don't think there will be any south of downtown either since most of it is heading north. You're going the opposite commute direction for the most part so your commute should be under 35-40 minutes imo. The distance is a bit far but you won't hit traffic at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego