Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM

315 posts, read 820,996 times

Advertisements

im going to san diego in 2 weeks.. will rent a car.. stay in a hotel for maybe a month... and just look around and take my time.. its not an obsession, what is so wrong in me wanting ocean front??

I can afford it, i love the beach... why not? I dont see the big deal in me wanting ocean front.. i have my reasons.. nothing beats the sound of the waves while you lay down and relax...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I don't get the general obsession with PB. I find it to be trashy and douchebag central. I much prefer the more urban nieghborhood quarters of the city; South Park, North Park, Normal Heights, Banker's Hill, Hillcrest, Ocean Beach. Those areas have lots of nightlife, funky shopping, exotic cusine restaurants, and closer to downtown (if you want to go clubbing).
i think why i was leaning towards PB is because i do not know anyone at all in san diego.. so id like somewhere i can meet a few people.. dont really wanna be lonely... if i go live in residential areas where everyone has a family then id never meet anyone.. im 24yr old, wanna hang out around where ppl my age live

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
im going to san diego in 2 weeks.. will rent a car.. stay in a hotel for maybe a month... and just look around and take my time.. its not an obsession, what is so wrong in me wanting ocean front??

I can afford it, i love the beach... why not? I dont see the big deal in me wanting ocean front.. i have my reasons.. nothing beats the sound of the waves while you lay down and relax...
Do ever watch the TV show "2 and 1/2 Men"? If so, are you looking to live in a place like Charlie Harper's house?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Do ever watch the TV show "2 and 1/2 Men"? If so, are you looking to live in a place like Charlie Harper's house?
yup..

and willing to spend up to $5k a month for it

Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Well.... now we're getting somewhere:
1. You won't find a "Charlie house" in OB, MB, or PB. There are some properties in MB that are similar to Charlie's place but you won't get the same privacy Charlie has. So you can scratch zip codes 92107 and 92109 off your search list. Start looking in ocean front La Jolla (zip 92037) and work your way north. Del Mar would be a good bet.
2. You won't find a "Charlie house" for $5K a month. A condo maybe... but not a house. I'm not even sure Charlie's house is a single family home. Doesn't Rose live below him in the same physical building?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM

426 posts, read 791,578 times
I agree with those who said Downtown as well. 24 is about the "beginning" age of downtown where as a lot of newly 21 year olds hang out in PB. You can look into North PB as there are some really nice places there and continuing south or North. South on Mission Blvd, into Mission Beach (on the bay side though) have nice condo/town homes; though i'm unsure how many actually go for rent. Most of the housing complexes on the boardwalk are vacation rentals.

You will meet people regardless of where you are. Though it may take a while to really connect with anyone, especially in PB as they usually like to stick to their own. You can try Ocean Beach (OB) where people are generally more "hippy" and will include people into their circle.

La Jolla is really more for the weathier families.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM

well i dont want a beach with privacy. dont care.. ok so let me ask you guys this:

Whats the best area i can get a beach house, but still have tons of stuff to do within walking distance, and fun for a 24yr old

Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
well i dont want a beach with privacy. dont care.. ok so let me ask you guys this:

Whats the best area i can get a beach house, but still have tons of stuff to do within walking distance, and fun for a 24yr old
You're no longer describing Charlie's house. Charlie can walk to the beach but drives almost everywhere else.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

man why are you trying to make me appear like i dont know what im saying.. all i want is a place on the beach but somewhere also fun.. think seaside heights NJ

Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 AM

34 posts, read 150,599 times
I don't think La Jolla is a good fit if your want to meet people your age. The nightlife for a 24 year old would be very minimal. Downtown has high energy. There's something happening every night of the week and there are lot's of ocean view condos with balconies. You could walk to the bars & restaurants thus eliminating the issue of parking & drinking and driving. You would have the perfect setup for inviting people back to your condo to enjoy a nightcap and take in the view. Also, if you live in an apartment/condo you will want to be in a concrete building unless you don't mind hearing your everything your neighbors do (or you want to have friends over in the evening without disturbing your neighbors). Downtown has lot's of modern concrete high rises, where as the outlying areas tend to be old wooden buildings with no sound insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego