Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,462 times

Advertisements

I'm a new SD transplant from the southeast...I've been here less than 3 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a provider of renters' insurance? I am employed with UCSD, and have a quote from California Casualty. I also have a quote from AAA (which is more than CA Casualty). As you can expect, I am hoping for the most cost-effective company that still provides decent service.

Also, I would appreciate any tips on items to look for in renter insurance policies. The rep from CA Casualty told me that it was CA state law that I had to have workers' comp on renters' insurance...this seems a little odd. I just want to make sure that all the charges and inclusions are legitimate.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,522,798 times
Have you tried calling the same company that insures your car?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:01 AM

6,878 posts, read 8,852,161 times
try AAA

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 13,462 times
I used Farm Bureau in NC...they are a state company. AAA was a bit more expensive that I had expected.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,968,074 times
I have Progressive Home Advantage and have found them to be extremely reasonable and helpful whenever I've called them.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM

38 posts, read 48,140 times
Contact Farmers Insurance they have the best renters insurance!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,306,278 times
I had American Family, but not sure they are in Calif. I had them in AZ and got my new carpet ruined when guy above me busted his sewer line. Am. Fam. immediately paid me full price for new carpet for my whole house, even though it was just one room that was ruined. They didn't even send anyone out to see the damage. Just took my word for it and asked for a copy of the receipt for my new carpet which I only had in for a couple weeks. If I am not mistaken, I believe it happened right after the disaster in New Orleans, so I guess they were busy and my little claim was nothing to them.

Got that renters insurance just in time, and it was the first time I ever thought of getting it. Needless to say, I love American Family. After that I used them for my car and a new home I bought.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,000,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I had American Family, but not sure they are in Calif. I had them in AZ and got my new carpet ruined when guy above me busted his sewer line. Am. Fam. immediately paid me full price for new carpet for my whole house, even though it was just one room that was ruined. They didn't even send anyone out to see the damage. Just took my word for it and asked for a copy of the receipt for my new carpet which I only had in for a couple weeks. If I am not mistaken, I believe it happened right after the disaster in New Orleans, so I guess they were busy and my little claim was nothing to them.

Got that renters insurance just in time, and it was the first time I ever thought of getting it. Needless to say, I love American Family. After that I used them for my car and a new home I bought.
If you were renting that seems like it should have been a situation where the landlord was responsible for the carpet, not your insurance.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

422 posts, read 788,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
If you were renting that seems like it should have been a situation where the landlord was responsible for the carpet, not your insurance.
I would say that the neighbor above would be responsible if he broke the sewer line. Unless it was a maintenance issue and the line should have been maintained by the landlord.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,306,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Probably would have for most people renting. But i had picked out and bought the new carpet with my own money since landlord wouldn't have. But it worked out okay. Would have been interesting to see what he would have done if I hadn't let my insurance company pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego