Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 AM

151 posts, read 132,778 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am coming to California on vacation this upcoming summer of 2010. I am torn between visiting LA for a second time or San Diego for the first time.

I am looking for a city that has something to offer that can't be done in NYC, which is my current home. Therefore, I am looking for something truly unique. So, something such as catching a padres/chargers game or going to a mall really won't interest. I have malls and pro sports here already.

From my research of San Diego, it seems like Balboa Park, beaches, and the two zoos are the main tousits attractions. I should point out that beaches in general do not interest me. Also, I have central park in NYC along with the Bronx Zoo ranking top 5 zoos in the U.S.

Please, if anyone has any info on San Diego for unique attractions let me know.

* I am not trying to put down San Diego at all. I just can't make up my mind if this is worth my money visiting. Trips are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I would stick to LA. Basically San Diego is a nicer, scaled-down, tourist-centric version of LA. You can always do a day trip from LA to San Diego.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I agree with Sass... stick with LA.

From LA you could do day trips to:
Catalina Island: The Official Catalina Island Website
Solvang: Solvang Visitors Bureau, Solvang California – Santa Barbara County

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM

95 posts, read 141,173 times
I vote for San Diego. I lived there for 5 years, after visiting for 1 day. Its a great town.

The Gaslamp area is fun, and catching a padres game is great. You can walk to the game from that area. Kind of like Wrigleyville in Chicago. Lots of nightlife, and all kinds of great restauraunts.

There are nice Beaches all along the coast, and great hiking if you like that. I always liked Del Mar, and the great hiking that they had around there. Easily accessible too.

Point Loma is a great spot to see the city, and the ships coming in and out of the Bay, because of its elevation, and you can see some of the marine life in the Tide Pools there. Good hiking there as well. It is a great place to see the ocean.
Con pane bakery in point loma is a great place to have lunch.

Shelter Island is a great place to have lunch and watch all of the boats come through the bay. Parking is easy, and it is a safe family oriented area.

The tourist spots can be fun the first time or so, but Balboa park always has something going on, and always seemed safe to me. You could have a picnic without complications. There are several museums there. You could spend a lot of time there and not see everything. It is not as big as Central Park, and walking it is easy.

The Zoo is great. I am not much of a zoo person, but we bought a membership for the whole time we were in San Diego. The membership covered the Wild Animal Park in Escondido, CA as well.
Seaport village has a lot of shops & tourist things to do. Downtown is very walkable. and you can always find the trolley, bus, or a cab, or Pedi-cab to get around if needed.

You can find restauraunts in all price ranges in the city. Great Seafood/steak to hot dogs.

The people of San Diego always seemed a little friendlier to me than other parts of the state. This may go a long way in your experience. The city makes sure their visitors are safe, because they have so many of them.

San Diego is not really like Los Angeles at all. I have lived both places. It would be like saying that Manhattan, New Jersey, and Long Island are similar. I Lived in NY,and NJ for a while, and know the difference.

Have fun

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Maybe you can throw us a bone and tell us what you enjoyed on your only visit to LA and maybe we can tell whether it's worth a visit to SD.

As Sassberto said, you can definitely do an overnight in San Diego just to get a glimpse of the city. I did the same thing on my only visit to Philly, where I based myself in NYC. Two days in Philly didn't disappoint.

Unfortunately, in order to see SD, you'll need a car.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,375 times
dude, there's only one time-tested way to find out it it's right for you. A big decision like where to make your home may warrant spending a bit of cash to see and feel for yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,899 times
I also am considering a trip to either Los Angeles or San Diego and appreciate the suggestions of things to do, and the comparison of the cities.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
I would drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. I moved to the East Coast and couldn't find anything like it.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Unfortunately, in order to see SD, you'll need a car.
What about the trolley? Wouldn't it be much easier to leave the car at a hotel and use public transit to get around? I don't want to have to worry about finding parking and paying, etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Are you a Christian? There is a Creation Museum in Santee that is a neat way to spend an hour or so.

Seaport Village is a tourist trap, but one we catch everytime we go out. I'm not a beach person either, but I enjoy looking out at the water, watching the waves roll in - especially if I don't have to stand in sand to see it! I love the art gallery there too - everytime we visit San Diego, I start wanting to move back. (I recover quickly though )

Legoland is in San Diego too - not something you'll find in LA or NY either, though it is overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego