Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a little more information regarding a specific area in La Mesa. The zip code is 91941 and it seems that there's a cluster of homes that have new (mid 2000's) construction, right north of the 98/128 junction. When I look at the area in Google Maps, it's called it part of National City--however I thought anything north of the highways is La Mesa.

Anyhow, is there a name to this area? It seems to be the roads off the east end of Murray Hill-Eastridge Dr. It's a little close to some sketchier areas it seems, but when I was in the area today it seems quite nice, and had some fantastic views.

Since my husband and I are in the very early stages of purchasing a home here in San Diego, when I drive through different areas, I try to think to myself "what type of person would live here?" When I say that--I don't mean race or anything, I mean more like "do they have kids?" or "are they retirees?" etc. The thing that making me a bit befuddled about this area is that there's larger, newer homes which to me mean families. However, the sketchier areas nearby make me doubt that (as well as Helix High nearby...which I seem to remember reading is notoriously bad), as well as the somewhat higher price of homes than comparable areas (as opposed to say, Eastlake Chula Vista).

Anyhow, thanks in advance if anyone has any info about this 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 PM

With a little more research I'm thinking this area is called Windsor Hills...someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
You are talking about a neighborhood of new homes called Eastridge. The adjacent, older neighborhood is Windsor Hills. It's 100% city of La Mesa, nowhere near National City. (it's adjacent to Lemon Grove which is on the south side of 94)

It is mostly familes and some older homeowners. The mayor of La Mesa lives there so it is sometimes known as "Art Madrid Heights". The neighborhood below can be sketchy, in particular the blocks off Normal Street on Rosebud / Schoolridge / Parks / University Ave just to the east of Helix High, which is a cluster of low-income apartments. Helix High is not really terrible (but not as well regarded as Eastlake High) but certainly not a top high school, but it is highly regarded for it's football program.

The homes are large and nice as tract homes go. Not much yard and they all sort of look the same with a few basic variations on a basic box (some are pseudo-spanish, some are pseudo-wood shingle). They have taken massive hits in price since they were built in 2005. I think at the peak they were 700-800k and now they are probably more in the 500-600k range depending on if they have views. Personally I think Windsor Hills just to the east is much more charming, it is a poor man's La Jolla. Most of the well-kept homes are on large lots with seclusion from the street, as opposed to Eastridge where the house is right on the street with little variation in streetscape. A big attraction of the area is the jaw-dropping panoramic views to the northwest and to the east as well.

The area is pricier than Eastern Chula Vista due to location, as generally speaking anything both close-in to San Diego and well-kept will fetch a premium over an exurb, regardless of proximity to sketchiness. Mostly it's the tradeoff of a relatively benign 8E commute (5-10 minutes of traffic) vs. a brutal 30-40 minute 805S + surface street nightmare.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-24-2010 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 AM

Thanks so much Sassberto! I really appreciate your input.

That area stood out for me because one of our greatest challenges is that, since we have a business that we run from home, we prefer a bit more space than most of the post-war stock houses seem to provide. However, we really don't want to live in Poway or Chula Vista or some other "far out" suburbia. If we had $800 as our price range, well yeah...we'd be fine, but trying to find things in the $450 or so range is tougher. We're in no real rush, our current situation is OK, I'd just like to be gaining some equity rather than spending it on rent...

Realistically, I think Claremont or Mira Mesa is probably where we'll end up.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego