Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,190,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
I asked because when I went to Chi-town I went to visit little Italy and there isn't one! Chicago has it listed on their tourist map but the Italians are gone but a few and about 3 eatery's left which is so disappointing to me. I guess the only place to go is Italy! Which is beautiful no matter where you visit there.
San Diego has a Little Italy, but there is nothing authentic about it. If it was not for the signs you would not even know it's supposed to be an Italian area. It is nice though, and I lived there briefly.

You are also pretty much right about Chicago's Little Italy - only a few legit places left around there. Chicago does have a couple heavily Italian-American areas, but they are not anywhere a tourist would go.

Some Little Italy neighborhoods that I do find interesting are in New York City (Manhattan, Bronx, & Brooklyn all have sections), Boston's North End, the Italian Market area in Philly, Cleveland's Little Italy, and San Francisco's North Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,696,795 times
Quote:
I'm coming for a visit and would like to know if there is a there a little Italy in San Diego and what's it like? Are there any Italians inhabiting the area?
I don't think many ethnic Italians still live in LI, but you'll still hear Italian being spoken by restaurant servers/owners and also from the old men who sit on the sidewalk chairs. It's small, but has a great neighborhood vibe.

Little Italy San Diego (http://www.littleitalysd.com/History.asp - broken link)

Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,290,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Little Italy San Diego (http://littleitalysd.com/splash/index.asp - broken link)

It's not that big or authentic, but a nice little neighborhood nonetheless.
It used to be very authentic and there are still some older Italian immigrants living in the older cottage style houses but now days it's mostly still called Little Italy simply because it has always been called Little Italy since the 1890's. It's been redeveloped with a lot of new apartment buildings which has totally changed the character of the old neighborhood but it's also brought about some urban renewal so it's a mixed bag.

The history of the neighborhood is great though; San Diego used to have the world's largest tuna fishing industry and virtually all of the boat captains and crews were Italians who lived in Little Italy because it was right next to the old fishing boat docks. There was also several ship yards specializing in making tuna fishing boats but they're all gone now and have been gone for 30 years or more.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,745,107 times
See what urban renewal can do to a formerly authentic neighborhood, it destroys the look and character of it. Little Italy in SD, lost all of it's soul once the demolition process began.

I was so upset the day that this one really old building that had a lady standing/sitting next to an old black 1930' or 1940's car. It was a classic, not sure if any of you know what I am talking about, but it was off India st. right across the street from that big art supply shop.

Anyways it got demoed and now there's a stupid office tower that sits vacant in it's place.

The worst thing is, that Italian guy you see his face on some of the billboards down there, Anthony Napoli, is promoting all this change. He's responsible for a lot of what has taken place in LI. What a jerk, he's a sell out.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It used to be very authentic and there are still some older Italian immigrants living in the older cottage style houses but now days it's mostly still called Little Italy simply because it has always been called Little Italy since the 1890's. It's been redeveloped with a lot of new apartment buildings which has totally changed the character of the old neighborhood but it's also brought about some urban renewal so it's a mixed bag.

The history of the neighborhood is great though; San Diego used to have the world's largest tuna fishing industry and virtually all of the boat captains and crews were Italians who lived in Little Italy because it was right next to the old fishing boat docks. There was also several ship yards specializing in making tuna fishing boats but they're all gone now and have been gone for 30 years or more.
I forgot about that fact. Both Chicken of the Sea and Bumble Tuna are from here.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,696,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I was so upset the day that this one really old building that had a lady standing/sitting next to an old black 1930' or 1940's car. It was a classic, not sure if any of you know what I am talking about, but it was off India st. right across the street from that big art supply shop.
I remember that mural. I probably have a pic of it before they built that building to block it. I will say, though, that the new building is really cool.

jonathan segal architect

Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,745,107 times
So you do remember that mural? didn't they tear it down?

It was nice, huh?

Nah, that new building looks way too modern to fit in that neighborhood, it just doesn't look right. I understand where your coming from, but personally I feel like that office building is a waste of precious space.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,966 times
Quote:
I'm coming for a visit and would like to know if there is a there a little Italy in San Diego and what's it like? Are there any Italians inhabiting the area?
Yes by down town SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego