Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM

802 posts, read 2,259,841 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are headed to San Diego next month for a long weekend away. We are planning to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter and would like to get suggestions on places to dine out and interesting things to do in the area. We might get a rental car, but that would depend on where the activities are located and how easy it would be to get there.

Regarding restaurant suggestions, my wife and I are foodies and would like to get some recommendations for good and interesting restaurants that are unique to San Diego. We don't mind spending some $ on dinner if the food and service are excellent.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
My wife and I are headed to San Diego next month for a long weekend away. We are planning to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter and would like to get suggestions on places to dine out and interesting things to do in the area. We might get a rental car, but that would depend on where the activities are located and how easy it would be to get there.

Regarding restaurant suggestions, my wife and I are foodies and would like to get some recommendations for good and interesting restaurants that are unique to San Diego. We don't mind spending some $ on dinner if the food and service are excellent.

Thanks in advance!
If you are true foodies, I'd suggest a drive up to Rancho Santa Fe to the Chino Farm vegetable stand. They sell amazing stuff to all the top restaurants. One of them, Market, is just down the road near Del Mar. Exceptional food and service. Enjoy your stay in SD.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,970,819 times
I say you go to Balboa Park, that's always fun because there are tons of different museums there that you can visit.

Also, maybe you could go visit the Whaley House (it's a haunted house). Here's their website:
Whaley House Museum

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 AM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
If you are true foodies, I'd suggest a drive up to Rancho Santa Fe to the Chino Farm vegetable stand. They sell amazing stuff to all the top restaurants. One of them, Market, is just down the road near Del Mar. Exceptional food and service. Enjoy your stay in SD.
How are the prices at this Chino Farm?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,644 times
We just returned from a 3 day weekend in San Diego. stayed at the Hilton in the Gaslamp Quarter, which only has $35/night balet parking. So we parked in a structure called "Park It On market". Its located on 6th and marker for $13 per 24 hour period. Its just a few blocks from the hotel so it was convenient and we didn't get back inour car until we were ready to go. You can pay $5 and take the trolley to Old Town and Balboa Park. You can also take the Orange Line trolley to Civic Center and then take a bus over to coronado island. Old town has plenty of restaurants and shops. Balboa Park has a lot of museums, walking tails and the San ?diego Zoo. Coronado island boasts the famous historic Hotel Del Coronado. You can easily spend an entire day at any one of these locations. The gaslamp quater is full of restraurants and has a lot of ambiance, many historic buildings. I think you'll have a great time. Our hotel was wonderful. there's a great little eatery called The Cheese Shop on 4th and market. Food tastes like home cooked and the prices are reasonable. Enjoy San Diego!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How are the prices at this Chino Farm?
It's expensive. We don't go there very often and only for special occasion. Last summer, we bought some of their famous white corn on the cob and I just remember it being really expensive, like $3 an ear.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM

233 posts, read 883,742 times
I HAVE to recommend the Shout House in the Gaslamp. It is a really fun night out for visitors looking for something to do. It starts pretty early so you can still lgo to dinner someplace else after but it's such a cool place to kill a Saturday night.

My standard recommendations are:

1. La Jolla Cove and Village of La Jolla
2. Balboa Park
3. Sunset Cliffs
4. Old Town
5. Coronado (ferry Landing and the Hotel Del)
6. Seaport Village (since you will be close by)
7. The Wave House in Mission beach

I think those places will give you a feel for San Diego. You can cover all of them in a weekend.

I'm sure other people have things to add. enjoy your stay

Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM

802 posts, read 2,259,841 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Are there any special occasion restaurants that you recommend? We're not celebrating anything in particular, but we really enjoy dining out at places like that when we travel.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Are there any special occasion restaurants that you recommend? We're not celebrating anything in particular, but we really enjoy dining out at places like that when we travel.
Island Prime is a unique restaurant. It's on Harbor Island in San Diego Bay with a great view of the downtown skyline.

Here's the website: Island Prime - San Diego, CA

Here are the reviews: Island Prime - San Diego, CA

Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
Quote:
Sorry for the bad restaurant link... here's the Island Prime website: Island Prime | Cohn Restaurant Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego