U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM

17 posts, read 56,576 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Brooklyn, NY to San Diego in Feb or Mar. Mostly to be in a less stressful environment & the sunshine (I have S.A.D.) Saw postings for 2 places that look good & am flying out just to see them (and hopefully a few more). Looking for feedback on prices & areas.

I am a single woman late 30's but am taking my elderly mother with me. We have enough money saved to rent between $2000 - $3000 for a 3BR & at least 2 bathrooms, access to a pool & ocean view or beachfront.

IMPERIAL BEACH $2400/mn - 3BR 2BA balcony - 700 Seacoast across from ocean/beachfront in condo bldg (most rented as vacation rentals) with 2 parking & pool on property.

CARLSBAD $3250/mn HOUSE 3BR 2BA looks recently upgraded with in ground pool & 180degree ocean view, 2 car garage. Was told the house was in a neighborhood/area that sounded like the top of SANNAKER HILL?

I know there are a lot of variables here but especially living right on the beach or having my own pool with a (supposedly) great ocean view & how much I want to pay! What should I ask about when I go see them (regarding issues that only a native or long term resident of CA would know)? Is there any weather/amount of sunshine difference.

What's the utilities/garbage/water/health insurance (I pay $450/month for individual freelance worker) /car insurance like? I pay $3000 a year with Gieco for my car (2009 VW)?

I'm not a party person & live a moderate life. Don't think suburbs would bother me too much but what are the main downtown areas about? Hippies? Rich snobs? Cool? Plastic? Any safety issues? Looking to make friends so people between 30 & 40 (with jobs). I am a telecommuter (translator) so I'll be home caring for my mom mostly but do like to see live music & art & get out some nights.

Any feedback would be great.
THANK YOU
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM

9,117 posts, read 28,651,962 times
IB : Funky, polluted, bikers, tweakers
Carlsbad: Pristine, wealthy, yuppies

Personally I think you need to take a trip out here and get the lay of the land. Understanding the differences between Imperial Beach vs. Carlsbad is like understanding the difference between Roslyn and Bedford-Stuyvesant - if you have to ask... you'll never know.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-26-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM

233 posts, read 857,158 times
I agree. The difference is night and day. If you are two women living alone, your main concern should be safety. It is important to get the feeling of the community so you will feel safe there. I could move to a less expensive apartment in another area but it gives me comfort feeling safe when I go out at night to walk my dog that I am in a heavy pedestrian area with college kids and military walking to Starbucks and the movies all night long rather than someplace desolate.

You should spend some time out here and keep posting on this board and your vision will become clearer. I spent 4 years researching before I moved from NJ and I couldn't be happier with my decision on neighborhood, apartment complex and even specific unit. It's worth doing your homework.

Good luck. Please feel free to ask more questions.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks. Greatful Deb....what neighborhood do you live in?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM

I was in San Diego for 1 month in December looking from Oceanside to Ocean Beach. Didn't go all the way down to Imperial Beach, though. I am coming out this Friday for a week to see the places I listed in my initial post & hopefully lots more. Do the rents sound about right for what they've been described as? I compared on craigslist...just wanted some more feedback.

My plan is to rent month to month to see if I like the area I initially choose & move if I find a better place while I'm there. The house in Carlsbad is rent to own so if I like it, maybe...I can afford to buy it (eventually).

Carlsbad seemed like a nice place, like money nice, but didn't seem to have a soul. I am a basic, down to earth person so I don't need the glitz - but is there any normal "middle class" population there?

I would prefer a laid back neighborhood but not too noisy. Is Imperial Beach like Ocean Beach (with many hippies/tourists/youth hostels/bars)? Since it's close to Mexico..any problems?

Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM

18,246 posts, read 29,454,657 times
Don't even bother going down to IB, I highly doubt it's a community you would want to live in. IB is about two miles from the US-Mexico border, it's safer than it used to be but still has some issues and a higher crime rate than Carlsbad. Lots of Mexicans of course. It's also right next to the mouth of the Tijuana River so during winter you're gonna have a bunch of raw sewage and garbage flowing out to the ocean next to you. It's the cheapest beach community for a reason and is one of the last places I'd recommend a transplant to relocate to. It's not horrible but not that great either.

Carlsbad is somewhat bland and cookie cutter. I prefer the communities of Encinitas and Solana Beach over Carlsbad, a little more character and a little more central to SD. The water in North County is also the cleanest and warmest in the county, so if you want to swim in the ocean it's a great area.

I'd also consider North PB, Ocean Beach south of Newport Ave, and Bird Rock/Windansea area of La Jolla.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks sav858! You don't know how helpful your reply was.

I am looking between Carlsbad & North PB. Trying to avoid drunken college students!!

I've been checking craigslist for places from Oceanside down to Imperial Beach...do landlords list with brokers? There are not that many "good" listings. Can you recommend any other places/sites I should check-out?

Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar are next on the list. I will be flying out Friday to search again for a week. Any suggestions?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM

5,260 posts, read 12,035,030 times
Like others have already said, Carlsbad and IB are like night and day to each other. You can't go wrong with anything along the coast from North PB all the way up to Carlsbad. Some nice places along the coast in Oceanside, too. Did you look at Coronado? You won't get oceanfront, but the bayside is a possibility. Some beautiful views of the skyline from there. It's centrally located and it's sunnier there than the North County coast.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

5,057 posts, read 8,181,998 times
Carlsbad, definitely. It has a very nice, quaint downtown area too. If you move inland a bit (not directly on the ocean) you could maybe find a cheaper place too, and the ocean is only minutes away.

Keep in mind (with your SAD), that living right near the ocean it is overcast alot of the time. You will also get May gray and June gloom. The summer months are great, but like I said, the rest of the year sometimes you have to wait for the overcast to burn off before it gets sunny. If you really want warm and sunny, move inland, say to Rancho Bernardo. You can still always drive to the beach.

It doesn't snow here but it's not warm and sunny every day either...alot of people don't realize that when they move here.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,136,719 times
Wow- never heard those two places considered together...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>