Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Err, no.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate"]United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[ Even total motor vehicle theft is middle of the pack with a per capita number among the lowest of major American cities. Wiki doesn't lie, my friend.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25690291/

"Modesto, Calif., ranks at No. 1, with San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos in the third spot, Stockton in fourth and San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont in fifth place. The city in second place, the only one in the top five not in California, is Las Vegas/Paradise."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
They're all supposedly nonviolent offenders so I doubt there will be much impact especially since the standard sentences are so harsh. Really all they've done is let nonviolent offenders go with sentences they would have gotten in other states anyway. Most of them were white collar criminals or minor drug offenders.
According to the 'Freakenomics' people, crime rates do increase when states do this type of thing. It's ironically in their new book, which was put out a year or so ago.

I know I did a crime stat lookup and San Diego had so many car thefts I though the screen was going to freeze. But safety anywhere these days is just not to be had. Just heard about a good ol' boy in the country who turned an AK on the poor sherrifs out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
SYS SYS started this thread

339 posts, read 1,172,186 times
When I originally posted this, my plan was to relocate my family to Poway this summer. Imagine the shock upon learning about the recent tragic event coming out of Poway.... One of my plans upon relocation was to enroll my boys in San Diego Youth Symphony in the fall, so imagine the shock of learning that Chelsea King was a member of the Symphony. Then my shock turned to eerie feeling upon learning that the young woman who was attacked while jogging on the same trail in Poway on Dec. 27 is a resident of Colorado Springs -- where I've been living in for the past 8 years. My wife and I just looked at each other and wondering whether the "signs" are there to discourage us to move to Poway.... I know I know, I don't believe in superstitions and such, but it's going to take a while to get over the shock...

Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
How about just move to a nice, more coastal area?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Powey is a very safe place to live compared to many other places and I wouldn't hesitate to live there (but it's not my cup of tea). I mean, look at Jon Benet Ramsey...she was killed in Boulder Colorado. There are creeps everywhere and, as I'm sure you know, you just have to be smart and not get complacent about where you go, not let your children go anywhere alone. That's standard advice no matter where you live, IMO. I've lived a few different places and have lived here in SD for over 30 years, and have felt the safest here.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:25 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Calif. cities top list of car-theft hot spots - Forbes.com- msnbc.com

"Modesto, Calif., ranks at No. 1, with San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos in the third spot, Stockton in fourth and San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont in fifth place. The city in second place, the only one in the top five not in California, is Las Vegas/Paradise."
my husband and i have each had our cars stolen in san diego,and not anywhere else that we've lived. and i've had my car stereo stolen twice,including once in the middle of the morning,in a target parking lot.

SD has high car theft,particularly in certain zip codes.

However,I had always heard/thought it was due to proximity to mexico,where old toyotas and hondas fetch a premium. yet,our cars were strangely returned to us-mine was left parked in my local DMV parking lot [true story! a few days before xmas,after being joy-ridden for a week] and my husband's was recovered after a month,being used for robbery/burglary get-away car,and thus impounded for a further two months,held as 'evidence in said case,but eventually he got it back].

Anyway,I can believe the property crime rates. But SD's low violent crime is also evident,simply by living here. For a city of it's size,it's quite safe,from my personal experience.

To OP: You probably should not move here,particularly since we don't really know the long term impact of early release of said prisoners. Noone knows. We also don't know if this will even help get the state's economy back on track,or if all the cuts will make the situation actually worse. Honestly,you would probably be better off in NH,VT or IA,where there is more stability and continuity in it's governance and policies,not to mention safety/criminal procedures-relatively speaking. CA does not seem like the best choice for you,and certainly not SD.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
When I originally posted this, my plan was to relocate my family to Poway this summer. Imagine the shock upon learning about the recent tragic event coming out of Poway.... One of my plans upon relocation was to enroll my boys in San Diego Youth Symphony in the fall, so imagine the shock of learning that Chelsea King was a member of the Symphony. Then my shock turned to eerie feeling upon learning that the young woman who was attacked while jogging on the same trail in Poway on Dec. 27 is a resident of Colorado Springs -- where I've been living in for the past 8 years. My wife and I just looked at each other and wondering whether the "signs" are there to discourage us to move to Poway.... I know I know, I don't believe in superstitions and such, but it's going to take a while to get over the shock...
Yes,it probably is a sign-you should not come.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
There are creeps and crimes everywhere you live. No place is perfect.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Newton, Massachusetts is another consisently top safe place in the USA and they had a recent murder a couple years ago.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Even Rancho Sante Fe had those now deceased Heaven's Gate loonies a decade back. Wacko's are everywhere and as I said live full without paranoia but wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego