Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times

Advertisements

I always heard that San Diego would never be like the next OC because we have the Camp Pendleton buffer that separates us from them. That's probably an old wives tale though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I'll be the first one to admit, sometimes I get that sort of "elitist" attitude and have to kind of check myself.

Speaking for myself, growing up here and enjoying it so much, and then in the past 10-15 years (mainly in the late 90's and early 2000s when they were building out so much of the North County Coastal Areas) I guess it just gets kind of hard to share something that is so special to me with half a million transplants from Boston, who usually end up complaining about it here.

But I guess I've just learned to adapt. This is my home and it's a great place, so why not let others enjoy what I've had the privilege of enjoying for 25 years.

And the statement about Bostonians is obviously just a little bit exaggerated
I appreciate your even handedness.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I always heard that San Diego would never be like the next OC because we have the Camp Pendleton buffer that separates us from them. That's probably an old wives tale though.
San Diego will never be the next OC because it differs culturally (in a modern metro sense) from Orange County quite dramatically. It also differs in it's geography, just within the city not including the county. With hills and an actual bay (not an area they call a bay), SD has some characteristics of parts of the Bay Area and a bit like Seattle. I know you think I'm crazy here but I'm not. The walk along Harbor Dr. from Harbor Island to Seaport Village is eerily similar to the walk along Alaskan Way from Olympic Sculpture Park southward along the waterfront in Seattle. Both even have an Anthony's restaurant along the waterfront near the cruise ship terminals along the waterfront. The waterfronts have the downtowns looming over them too.

In my opinion, this gives SD a bit more character and charm than any place in OC. Only Huntington Beach has a unique charm to it but it's nothing like SD's. San Diego will never be another OC (thank god) or in it's shadow.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
And the statement about Bostonians is obviously just a little bit exaggerated
In New York, we called them m@ssholes

Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In New York, we called them m@ssholes
They're called that throughout the northeast I think.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Thank God for that. That is a pretty effective barrier as long as the Marines stay. We'd be Los Andiego without it. I shudder to think of the overdevelopment that would occur on that land.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
Thank God for that. That is a pretty effective barrier as long as the Marines stay. We'd be Los Andiego without it. I shudder to think of the overdevelopment that would occur on that land.
agreed thank god for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego