Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 10,064 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are in Yuma right now (I'm getting dental implants across the border in Algodones) and we're at a bit of a crossroads, at the moment. We're both in major life transitional phase (I'm recently divorced and I'm in the process of earning an AAS in Graphic Design online through the Art Institute. Mom's going through a less-than amicable divorce and neither of us are currently working.) and need to figure out where we are going to move to find jobs and get our lives back on track.
My mom has a BS in Human Resources and lots of experience in High End Furniture sales My mom is mainly interested in government jobs, but has her sales experience to fall back on, if need be. I am studying graphic design and I have experience in office work and guitar sales, also.
We are considering San Diego, since we're so close by (I lived in O.B. in '05 for a few months with my ex and worked in Mission Valley. The people were very nice and there was a lot of work, at the time.)as well as Phoenix, since we're already in Arizona. I know a city can change a lot in five years, so we really need some info on the job market in both areas! So if anyone can give me some info on the current job market in San Diego (can it be any worse than the non-existent job market here in Yuma?) we would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Jobs of any kind are hard to come here these days. If you don't have one lined up, or have a lot of $$ saved up - don't move here at this time!

I'm on my second umemployment claim and don't really want to be on it for another year. I'm and Administrative Assistant, and I'm waiting to be rehired by the Federal Government. The State of California has furloughed employees, the County isn't hiring, and I don't think the City is either.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
I wouldn't consider moving to SD "to find jobs". This would be probably close to the last place I'd come if I was looking to start the job hunt. If you had something lined up, that's another story.

There are a couple of major guitar companies out here, Carvin and another one I forgot the name of.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Wow, it's that bad, right now? This is all good to know. Starting over really sucks! Me and mom have been forced into this situation due to a series of unexpected life events, so we're both just trying to keep our heads up and stay calm and figure this out.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Sorry to say but my advice...don't come here.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM

19 posts, read 15,251 times
The job market everywhere is bad, but the cost of living here makes it tougher to last. (Unless you plan to do it homeless, at that its still tough)

Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Okay, I get it, jeez!

Okay, I get it, jeez!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 13,584 times
Go to Texas.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,730 times
try to find at craigslist its best source for finding job these days

Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Well most folks have been telling you not to come ;I'm not going to do that. Only you can gauge what you can withstand. I will say searching for work in San Diego has to be aesthetically more pleasing than searching in Yuma. Before any Arizonans start "Hate'n," I have not lived in Tuna,only visited and that was enough for me!
San Diego's lure is hard to give up on; but if you decide not to make the move West, look to Austin, because it is a great place for relo in this economy. Good Luck to you and your Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego