Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 AM

176 posts, read 634,756 times

Advertisements

Whoa whoa whoa.
I've lived in OB for a long time and have never had a syringe at the beach. I have in MB and PB, and once in la jolla, but I've never seen one here in OB.
Also meth? Really? Are you sure you are talking about OB and not El Cajon? Weed and shrooms are the drugs of choice for those who live in OB. The occasional ecstacy and acid, but meth? OBcians don't do meth, PBros who are "Going Out of Bounds" do PCP/Meth (see: naked PCP swimmer)

You all seem to be scared of some boogieman that you've made up in your minds. I'm sure he is really scary too, but he is a strawman plain and simple.

If you don't feel safe in OB, that's fine. Stay in city heights and north park. My town will be much better off without you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oBak View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.
I've lived in OB for a long time and have never had a syringe at the beach. I have in MB and PB, and once in la jolla, but I've never seen one here in OB.
Also meth? Really? Are you sure you are talking about OB and not El Cajon? Weed and shrooms are the drugs of choice for those who live in OB. The occasional ecstacy and acid, but meth? OBcians don't do meth, PBros who are "Going Out of Bounds" do PCP/Meth (see: naked PCP swimmer)

You all seem to be scared of some boogieman that you've made up in your minds. I'm sure he is really scary too, but he is a strawman plain and simple.

If you don't feel safe in OB, that's fine. Stay in city heights and north park. My town will be much better off without you.
Meth- Yeah, really. Oh absolutely. I grew up in East County (La Mesa/El Cajon/Spring Valley) in its "meth capital of the world" days (the 70s and 80s). I knew people whose *parents* cooked meth. I think I have a pretty good radar for the stuff. And I have been literally and CLEARLY offered it (as well as weed, or shrooms) by folks hanging out by the pier on a number of occasions. So I'm NOT just making this up.

You're right, though, there definitely is drug use in other places, including PB like you mentioned (not fond of bros either).. although East County really seems to have mellowed out the last decade or so- not sure why. (maybe the meth cooking has moved- seems a different Midwestern city is claiming to be the "meth capital of the world" every year these days- I suspect for law-enforcement funding) It's just that, like I said, I can't think of anywhere it's as blatant or tolerated as it is in OB, at least in the area around Newport and the pier. And I'm not comfortable with that, anymore than I would be if it was in North Park or wherever. It's not a geographical bias, I wasn't cool with it when it was all over the place in East County when I was a teenager, either.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 AM

42 posts, read 116,441 times
Venice is more extreme than OB. There aren't bloods and crips chilling everywhere on Saturdays and the size of OB is smaller so it keeps it less intense than Venice. Venice is a tourist haven. OB is not so much.

I have met some sketchballs in OB. I like "free spirit" culture but not the over-tolerant drug culture who think cracked out homeless "bring character" to their yard. These people don't shower, are tattooed, wear ragged clothces, and have dreads to their shoulders. No wonder they don't have jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oBak View Post
Stay in city heights and north park. My town will be much better off without you.
I thought you folks were tolerant. Obviously, anyone who would knock your neighborhood you cant accept, but you like the bums and the crack house rvs.

You are welcome in North County anytime.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post

I have met some sketchballs in OB. I like "free spirit" culture but not the over-tolerant drug culture who think cracked out homeless "bring character" to their yard. These people don't shower, are tattooed, wear ragged clothces, and have dreads to their shoulders. No wonder they don't have jobs.
Hey, hey, take the "tattooed" part out. *I'm* tattooed, and I have a cushy gov't job with my science degree AND a second job with a consulting company to make up for my pay cuts and furloughs, so we're not ALL losers

Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Yeaaahh.... I'm not getting the hate for OB.

I jog there quite often, as well as go to the farmer's market--and although it is the part of San Diego that's "known" for catering towards the hippie-like/outlandish/crunchy-types, I've never felt unsafe there. Not in a million years.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I'm not so sure about the hippy/bohemian/free sprit vibe there. I was there a few weeks ago with some mixed race friends and we encountered blatant racism. Nasty stuff and I wouldn't go back.
That's exactly what I was talking about! Whenever I say that to anyone they think I'm crazy. I have been called racist names and actually threatened in OB before.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Been to OB about 5 times so far this year
Nothing different from the past in my book

I don't even think it's anything wrong with it
The Tri-Beach area(PB,MB,OB) are the Counties' "Urban Beaches"

Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
armed cops will not walk the beach late at night.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
PB and OB used to be pretty much the same but it appears the yuppies with the condos took over and pushed the homeless to OB for the most part. So muich for the alcohol ban cleaning things up there.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM

176 posts, read 634,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post

I thought you folks were tolerant. Obviously, anyone who would knock your neighborhood you cant accept, but you like the bums and the crack house rvs.

You are welcome in North County anytime.
To be honest, north county (Esco, San Marcos at least) scares me about as much as city heights and some parts of national city.

I was angry last night due to wife being grumpy after a long day of work and people totally being down on my neck of the woods, and may have come across a bit of a jerk way.
I really don't care if people hate on my town, they probably have their reasons and that is fine. It doesn't really change the way I feel about it.
I still feel OB is a great place for dog lovers, people who want a laid back beach community they can afford, and love supporting local business.

Anyway, check out these three articles from our OBRag
Police Crack Down On Rampaging OB Youth
Local Newspaper Tackles OB Homeless Youth Issue – Without Talking to the Youth
The “Kids” Speak Out on the Homeless, Traveling, and the Naked Swimmer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego